Agnostic.com

783 56

How do you deal with Door-knockers?

Whether they be Witnesses, Mormons, or another proselytizing religion, how do you deal with people coming to your door to spread their religion?
I just had my first experience since getting a place of my own and had a decent conversation through the crack in my door. After I told him I was an atheist he tried to use apologetics; when I told him I was familiar with his arguments and didn't find them convincing further explaining that I take a scientific route of belief and chose not to believe until there is evidence for a god. He understood and thanked me for explaining and listening to him and he left with a handshake. I was surprised at myself for how civil I was to him but how does everyone else usually respond?

Nicsnort 6 Oct 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

783 comments (451 - 475)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

"Nah, I'm good" (shuts door)

KenWG Level 3 Nov 26, 2018

I just say no thanks and close the door.

I don't

First mistake is opening the door. I stop moving around until they go away. Then I wait 10 minutes just to be sure.

Where I live I don't get these visits. If I did I would be happy to engage them in respectful conversation.

Pretty much says it all

I generally either politely tell them nope or chat them up either because one; they are pleasant to talk too and listen or two; to see their faces as I politely break down my personal point of view and challenge them not by saying they are wrong so much as we can't both be and neither of us are budging so why not just agree to disagree or write my off as doomed cause really I am not buying what you are selling.

Quarm Level 6 Nov 6, 2018

I ignore them.

Depends on their behaviour. I'll usually invite them in and educate them on their own book. Simple logic can be explained away as just "stuff against God" but when you take the words from thier own book they will stop and think a littke bit before thier little brains melt.

At the top of my lungs, I scream, "don't touch my cock!" over and over, like calling for help, while maintaining eye contact.
I'm hoping it catches on and more people do the same.

Sorry but I’m no sure that is the best tact

No thank you. Never come back. If you or any of your friends return I will interpret your actions as a threat to my safety and I will use options up to and including lethal force to remove you from my property. I have a stack of cards with this message printed on them. I open the door hand them the card and close the door.

**We put up a 6 ft fence with double bolt locks on the gates and no bell there. Now we have peace .

I tell them there is no God, and I keep saying it til they leave. I have no respect whatsoever for people who go door to door selling superstition. I treat them as I would someone who came to my door wanting to teach me how the earth is flat, or vaccines cause autism, I simply tell them they are wrong.

I am very polite and tell them I have my own faith...but i try get rid of them fast. I door knock ( well I did in NY) not atheism...but for political candidates so I understand how awkward and uncomfortable it is.

I have been SO lucky! i had ONE pair (always a pair, right?) of door knockers, and that was in japan, where i lived for a decade. they were mormons, and they got mad when i wouldn't open the door, and were quite rude. i reported them to their mormon superiors. i forget whether i mentioned, in reporting them, that i had told the knockers, quite truthfully, that i was naked and thus could not open the door. meanwhile, i was bothered by mormons every time i went to a kinko's in japan; i got them to leave me alone by answering their inevitable "have you heard the story of joseph smith?" with "yes, i have. have you heard the one about the rabbi...." and telling them a nice long story i knew about a rabbi. you should have seen the smiles freeze on their faces!

g

? years ago someone did something to introduce God who is controlling universe.

Ha Ha Ha Ha. I solved this one. I put up a 6 foot fence with a double dead bolt lock that requires a key and I have the keys. There is not door bell, no buzzer, no way in to reach my door. Anybody wants to come here has to know me and call first to make arrangements and then call to let me know they are outside . I also have 9 little yapping , barking dogs in that front secure garden . No one comes to my door these days . I love it.

I had a couple at my door last spring . At 4 the afternoon , my dogs barking like crazy at the door bell , me out of shower w bath robe and getting ready for night shift , really last thing I needed was religion talking . They had some cheap papers to pass about their church I assume and they told me " if I had a minute to talk about finding Jesus ". I told them , " honey , I am Jesus , nice to meet u and good bye".

I will talk your ear off. I will tell you my entire life history. I will give you every reason that I do not any longer believe in a god. I give everybody who is still a Believer every opportunity to try to convince me that there is a god but I have to have evidence and that's why I'm agnostic and not a true atheist. Usually they will just get tired of talking and leave. I really enjoy those conversations. I haven't had one for 6 months. Maybe I'm on a list of "Do not visit this guy's house anymore!"

I call them Pushers (yes, as in drug pushers). Anyone who seeks me out is a pusher. If I go to them, then they are Dealers. This includes salesmen, tele-a-marketers, religions. If they ask why, I tell them that all they want is more people to show up at church because they need the money, under the guise of tything (sp). If they persist I close the door.

I call them Pushers (yes, as in drug pushers). Anyone who seeks me out is a pusher. If I go to them, then they are Dealers. This includes salesmen, tele-a-marketers, religions. If they ask why, I tell them that all they want is more people to show up at church because they need the money, under the guise of tything (sp).

Lift them off the surface of the door and knock them down upon the door, of course.

I'm a certified Reverend of Dude-ism, so I just tell them and usually all the hear is Reverend, so they just leave.

You are the second dude I've seen recently. First here, other on google + community. Its a small world dude lol

I gave up on being polite. See, I walked away from Mormonism, and those guys are way too insistent. Last time they knocked, I opened the door, saw who it was, said “Nope. Not happening.” And closed the door again. I now basically have a no contact order, so they haven’t bothered me once this year (except for my mom). I feel bad for the missionaries sometimes, because I know some of them are desperate for a way out, but I do not have the answer for them. Well, I do, but no one mentions their doubt in front of their mission companion.

These people are sincere in their beliefs. I thank them for their time after explaining my atheism while acknowledging their intent. I think that they might reach a neighbour or someone who has a drug habit perhaps... Religion can indeed assist in saving people from hopelessness while giving them a supportive social network in the form if their church. Secularists are less likely go door knocking asking if someone has a problem. Hmm. Food for thought.

As a recovered doorknocker myself, I'm afraid I must take issue with the common perception that the groups who doorknock are obviously benighted, but fundamentally benign. There aren't many groups who require this activity of their members; really, we are most likely discussing either Jehovah's Witnesses or Mormons. Both of these groups are sometimes referred to as cults, but are best described as high control groups- see Steven Hassan's BITE model to see how well they fit this description (https://freedomofmind.com/bite-model/).

The Jehovah's Witnesses in particular enforce the harmful practice of shunning, where members are ordered to have no contact with those who have been excommunicated for sins than may range from adultery to smoking cigarettes to simply disagreeing with church doctrine. Since the organisation is extremely insular, insisting that members not fraternise with non-members, those brought up as Jehovah's Witnesses and then thrown out, sometimes from the family home, are left entirely without family, friends and support structures. Suicide is common. Some will feign loyalty to the organisation to avoid being excommunicated, and live half-lives whilst hiding their true feelings regarding the organisation and its teachings so that family relationships are maintained.
Those happy doorknockers may not be so happy, and are sometimes there under compulsion. They may not personally be unkind people, but their religion may force them to be so. Those caught fraternising with those who have been excommunicated are themselves given the same fate, so family members will shun out of fear of the consequences.
Benign? Not so much.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1448
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.