Agnostic.com

783 56

How do you deal with Door-knockers?

Whether they be Witnesses, Mormons, or another proselytizing religion, how do you deal with people coming to your door to spread their religion?
I just had my first experience since getting a place of my own and had a decent conversation through the crack in my door. After I told him I was an atheist he tried to use apologetics; when I told him I was familiar with his arguments and didn't find them convincing further explaining that I take a scientific route of belief and chose not to believe until there is evidence for a god. He understood and thanked me for explaining and listening to him and he left with a handshake. I was surprised at myself for how civil I was to him but how does everyone else usually respond?

Nicsnort 6 Oct 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

783 comments (626 - 650)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Sorry...your question made me think of this funny meme

I had JWs knocking at my door the day I got my A level results. I'd got in to the university I wanted to go to and the's miserable bastards were asking me if I was happy with the way the world was. I had a bottle of chilled vodka in my hand and also pointed out that I'd given blood the day before

I tell them I'm a Jew...lol. which I am but just a cultural one...

Baby oil and a dirty magazine.

At least in my neighborhood, they respond pretty well to "no thanks, good luck".

I lived in a bible belt Christian neighborhood. My ex was Jewish and I converted to Judaism when i married. When religious came thru..I rold them we were Jewish...which was the truth..lol.

Wrong door. Good luck.

JayJ Level 1 Dec 24, 2017

Well I have to share this joke first...Why are Jehovah's Witnesses all flat chested? You make a pushing out motion with your hand/arm as you say "Get off my porch" These days, because of my peep hole, I don't answer the door anymore. I've had the religion conversation for 40 years. It's a waste of time.

lerlo Level 8 Dec 23, 2017

I have told well dressed, happy looking JW's who drove up to SOD OFF! And, I have let Mormon missionaries in for coffee (which they enjoyed) and danish cause they were rainy cold and miserable.

Tell then to piss off

It amazes me that old ladies come to my door here where I live in south beach, FL. But they do. Half the time I am only half dressed when they knock so can't really let them in. But I always feel so sad for them so I always take their pamphlet and wish them a good day. It makes them feel so happy. So why not? Sometimes reading the pamphlet is quite fun -- entertaining! When I lived I lived in New Mexico, they always came in pairs. I was always impressed they found my house on a dirt road in the middle of the desert. How? The young one was always a bit nervous and in training. It was so cute! How could I not take their pamphlet?

If possible answer the door naked.

I ask them if they believe in reincarnation. They never do believe, and that usually stops them cold.

Don't answer the door.

With door knockers, I tend to deal off the bottom of the deck.

I politely decline. I don't get into a conversation with any of them.

Don't want you to waste your time. I'm just not interested. Shut the door.

I politely school.them on the bible they are professing to know. Present them with questions they are unable to answer. Most will not return. I had one group of witnesses that would come every couple weeks they got to know my name. I enjoyed teaching them new things every few weeks about their religion lol.

I really can't stand them they'll force you into their religion

Why would you not be civil? I have found them interesting to talk to, usually keep them longer than they wanted to stay.

I had a friend he would see the Jehovah witness approaching his door, he answers the door in his underwear. Not sure this works for everyone. I would answer the door tell them about a few uncommonly known subjects. Like the earth and moon were equal in size until they collided and formed what we now call the earth and other unusual facts. They made it a point to walk on the other side of the street when they walked past my apartment .

Depends on my mood and time: can be gentle, Often with amusement. Sometimes abrupt,

lecoq Level 4 Dec 19, 2017

Bring them inside and explain why their beliefs are unfounded until they lose faith or are convinced I am Satan incarnate.

Nice polite people: no thanks I am a Buddist.
Pushy obnoxious people: get off my property and never come back!
The worst was on a cold, blustery winter day, temps in the low 30's with major wind chill. Huge guy in floor-length heavy overcoat, boots, scarf, mittens came to my door carrying a tiny little girl, maybe 4, wearing nothing but a pink party dress & dress shoes with ankle socks. I told him if he didn't get that child into proper outdoor clothing in the next 3 minutes I was calling the police. Apparently Gawd wants children to get frostbite so my soul will be saved?

Coldly

lecoq Level 4 Dec 19, 2017
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1448
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.