Agnostic.com

783 56

How do you deal with Door-knockers?

Whether they be Witnesses, Mormons, or another proselytizing religion, how do you deal with people coming to your door to spread their religion?
I just had my first experience since getting a place of my own and had a decent conversation through the crack in my door. After I told him I was an atheist he tried to use apologetics; when I told him I was familiar with his arguments and didn't find them convincing further explaining that I take a scientific route of belief and chose not to believe until there is evidence for a god. He understood and thanked me for explaining and listening to him and he left with a handshake. I was surprised at myself for how civil I was to him but how does everyone else usually respond?

Nicsnort 6 Oct 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

783 comments (351 - 375)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Iit really depends on my moid. There are times i joke atound telling them i worship satan but thanks anyway or i say " ah you're just in time for the sacrificing, come on in". Most of the time i invite them in though, listen to them for a moment and then question them on the belief system and usually by the end of it i have them either converted to my way of thinking or at the least questioning their own belief

I'm very polite. I tell them I'm Jewish (I'm not). For most, that's all that's necessary. Unless they are completely out of touch, they know that Jews do not welcome proselytizing. For the other, stupider people, I tell them that I am content with my beliefs and do not welcome attempts to convert me. And if that doesn't work, I call my 90 lb German Shepherd dog to the screen door through which we are speaking. He stares at them; they skedaddle.

But I haven't had anyone in a very long time comin' round.

Instead of making statements just ask questions the whole time. Every theists logic is flawed and if you do nothing but ask questions they will eventually come to one they can't answer without appeals to the supernatural/magic, but it could take a while. Or just close the door in their face if you don't want to listen to them. It might feel rude but you didn't ask for them to come preach to you. Plus they tell children they deserve to be tortured forever if they don't believe in their space wizard, so they deserve it on some level even if they are unaware of the harm they cause. You should feel no obligation to give them your time.

I don't open the door. When I ask who is it, and they respond with some religious affiliation, I just say I'm not accepting visitors today but thank you anyway.

IGNORE THEM! If they leave something to read, i WILL look at it, though, i am open-minded.

This past summer I was out in my yard planting flowers and I saw 2 man walking down the street, going door to door. My brother was sitting on the porch talking to me when I said " Oh god I don't want to deal with them right now." My brother just sat there. I'm sweaty covered in dirt and they walked up to me and handed me a flier, asking me if I would be attending church that weekend. I clearly looked annoyed but took the flier and throw it on the porch. I politely said I would be busy that day but thanks anyway and continued digging in the dirt. They kept on talking about the service and now wonderful it was and that I should bring the kids. I was totally ignoring them when my brother piped in. He said " Two women came by the other day asking us to come too." One of the men said " Were they from (whatever) Baptist church? My brother said, " yes, same flier". The men looked at each other and said, " I guess Sue and Betty already did this street". They walked away with out going to any more houses, got in a car and drove off. I laughed so hard I had to sit down. My brother not only saved me but the rest of our neighbors, lol.

Tell them I am an atheist and tell them about websites they should follow such as the Atheist experience, Science Today, etc.

Depending on how I'm feeling and how early it is.

1. Look through the peep whole and don't answer.
  2. Answer with sword behind back.
  3. Always wanted to answer naked just to see their reaction.
  4. If I answer and they go off about going to hell I tell them go sell hate banter someplace else.
Tess Level 3 Dec 14, 2017

Bloody butchers apron......lol

I answer the door In a towel, and I tell them I'm in a hurry, and if they want to talk, they'll have to come in and take a bath with me.

Answer the door with a smile and tell them I am an athesist and to have a great gosh darn day... Also I tell them that if they are looking for jesus I hear you can find him in prison.

My wife was of the same opinion as myself, however having been raised a Catholic she was closeted. When she died she still was in agreement for the most part, although hopeful more was waiting. When the door knockers showed up she would tell me to sick em. I invited them in and served them refreshments and let them rave for a few minutes. After about 15 minutes of listening I would begin challenging there "FACTS" within another 5 minutes they fled usually reassuring each other .. they always bring backup ... After 3 visits ... 1 mormon, 1 Witness and one Christian Evangelic they would return to the sanctuary and advise everyone the Devil lived at my address and nobody bother to knock at my door again!

I am always civil but usually explain that I was about to leave because I'm running late for __. Then I throw away the religious pamphlet they insist on pressing into my hand before they leave. I find the little white lie so much easier than having to explain myself, though I have interesting responses when I ask if Adam and Eve had bellybuttons when they were born🙂

Pretend to try to sell them drugs, when they mention they don't want any. Just say you don't buy what they are selling either.

Civil is always worthwhile. I sometimes get students and former students who are Jehovah's Witnesses at my door. They already know that I am agnostic and discussion ensues as well as reminiscences about the school I taught in and their memories of class with me. Good stuff. Others get a more formal treatment, but civil questions are most effective.

Well, that was me 18 years ago. Life's definitely taken a 180 degree turn. However, having been in their shoes, I'll always be polite, offer them a glass of water, or a chance to warm up in the winter. If Mormons, I'll even engage with them, although the second they start to hear something that challenges their beliefs, they tend to shut down and run away as fast as they can.

I invite them in and enjoy the discussion. They won't convince me of anything but I'll learn something about a faith perhaps. That makes things worth while.

I've had some very nice visitors from one faith or another along with a few really nasty ones. If I have time, I offer, refreshment and have a conversation, often veering away from religion. I had a pretty good talk one time with a JW about different ways to tie a tie. I try to put folks at ease on my front porch and just enjoy their company.

I've just thought of an amusing thing to try. Start doing an exorcism on them! 😛

In my underwear.

However, one day, about 16 or so years ago I was getting my retail work polo out of the dryer which was located in the garage, which was open as I was about to leave for work. I was running a few minutes behind schedule. One of these Witness pairs just comes a-walkin' into the garage, and asks me if I know that "we are livin' in the last days". I responded with, "it's going to be your last day if you don't get the fuck out of here because I'm running late". They never came back.

A few years ago I told some Witnesses I was a Satanist, they never came back.

Nor48 Level 4 Nov 24, 2017

Not an issue. I live in an apartment building. If asked on the street I will smile and say no thank you. If they persist I try to be firmer and even rude. Finally I just get away from their thoughtlessness.

I have a hand made notice that sits on the wall beside my front door. It states that ANY Door Knockers have, by way of knocking, signified their acceptance of paying me $50.00 per minute in Cash and in Advance so that they may enter my home to 'discuss' whatever has brought them there.
Have NOT had even 1 Door Knocker since I put that sign up 3 years ago.

I have posted a sign on my gate that says "Religious representatives: I am an atheist. Thank you for your concern but I DO NOT WANT TO BE "SAVED!" Please move on. Thank you. Haven't been bothered in weeks. And, a lot of people who do come to my door really like the sign. Of course, Dunedin, FL has a lot of Free Thinkers, Agnostics and atheists.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1448
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.