Agnostic.com

783 56

How do you deal with Door-knockers?

Whether they be Witnesses, Mormons, or another proselytizing religion, how do you deal with people coming to your door to spread their religion?
I just had my first experience since getting a place of my own and had a decent conversation through the crack in my door. After I told him I was an atheist he tried to use apologetics; when I told him I was familiar with his arguments and didn't find them convincing further explaining that I take a scientific route of belief and chose not to believe until there is evidence for a god. He understood and thanked me for explaining and listening to him and he left with a handshake. I was surprised at myself for how civil I was to him but how does everyone else usually respond?

Nicsnort 6 Oct 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

783 comments (376 - 400)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I always want to try some street epistemology on them but my social anxiety gets in the way

I'm all set-let my German Shepherd scare them off-they are so annoying

If I'm in the mood i'll have the discussion with them, if not just tell them I'm not interested and have them move on.

They quit coming around after I got a bulldog.

It really depends on whether I'm feeling patient and generous or not. If not, I just tell them I'm an Atheist and a Pagan and I have not the slightest interest in what they are promoting.

If so, I banter for awhile. I ask them what they think they're getting out of following their religious path, and why that is so great, and what about if they're wrong. All the while radiating happiness and contentment.

I say "Come on in! Let me grab my strap-on real quick. this is going to be FUN!"

They're out the door before I can finish my sentence.

I once had a couple of jehovas witnesses turn up at the door during a wedding party, I invited them in and tried to ply them with alcohol, food and music. I talked to them for about three hours before I let them escape. Neither of us changed our opinions on anything, why can't these people leave us alone, I would never turn up on someone's doorstep and call into question their beliefs. I got better things to do.

I just ell them I am an atheist, and nothing can change my mind. Close the door and go on about my life.

I simply tell them that I was a born again Christian Evangelist for decades and now I'm an agnostic atheist. They usually go away after that. lol

By scheming to come up with all sorts of off-the-wall pranks and taping them and posting them online.

Knock them on the head.

Just be polite and say "thanks, not interested" and close the door. There's never an excuse for rudeness.

If it is over a religion, I establish the fact that their god is all powerful and answers prayer and is always ready to demonstrate his power. I then tell them to curse a tree that is near my driveway and the roots are damaging the same. I point to it and I yell do it now, right now. They do not walk to their car, they run and drive as fast as they can down my 300' driveway to the street. Damn I wish I had a video of that caper. I just stood there in amazement, as they disappeared in the distance.

I don't have any problem with door-knockers. I just answer the door in the nude and somehow they don't want to talk very long.

A Jehovah's Witness came to my door today and gave me an Advent Calendar.

Every day I opened a door on the calendar it told me to F**K OFF!!

I love the Mormons best ..I always ask them if they have ever watched South Park episode about the Mormons.

Marko Level 1 Nov 13, 2017

"Please come in, we were about to conduct our blood ritual and could really use you."

Attempt to convert them. 🙂

I'm not buying what you are selling today thanks

I like religious door knockers!! Especially Jehovah's witnesses - what fun !! They have to proselytize and yet there are apparently only a specific number of places available in their heaven and they won't get one if they don't convert someone else!? So they are converting people they know there isn't a place for in heaven, right? The ill logic is just astounding. Tbh we don't really get many of those , haven't seen one in years.

There are plenty worse people who knock on my door. Pretty much harmless to me. Yes, lately there seems to be few JH door knockers about.

i usually go about making out like i will go to their place of residence!! i ask them where do u live do u mind if i turn up and talk to you about not believing in magic men in the ski... then they almost always say things like i do not believe i want people just randomly showing up on my door step then u rub their face that they are annoying and harassing u...
u can also legally charge them money !!! for simply say knocking on a door see the fact of this matter is signage how people often walk past them without taking full note.. so u make a sign that cost them money fro say knocking on your door informal contracting clause and a video camera to prove they have done just this and u can litteraly charge them cash for crossing a line/barrier/ knocking on a door or the like..

If you haven't gone to an ABA accredited law school, passed a state bar exam, and been admitted to that states bar, then you shouldn't be trying to give people legal advice. In many states that's known as the unauthorized practice of law and can get you in some serious trouble.

Have you ever actually done that or is it just another internet rumour? Don't think that would fly here in the UK tbh

given u place the sign in your! property.... and have it at the correct and appropriate height and location relevant to the signs warnings!( between 5.5ft and 6.5 ft high is based upon a sign regulation guidelines thing here in AU if the sign too high or low then it has no effect!!! depending on the signage and the and codes thereof !!

oh and mate who the fuck said i had legal qualifications! it is only illegal in witch to solicit under the pretence you have training/experience when u don't!! im not trained but iv got a big head fault me for knowing things! sure !

Just put up a sign saying no soliciting

I just tell them ...i don't believe in their murderer sadistic and evil God or any other

Post a sign that says, "If this house is a-rocking; don't come a-knocking".

If you answer the door with very little if any clothing on they will learn to leave you alone.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1448
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.