Agnostic.com

583 117

Fellow agnostics, how do you feel about believers joining?

This is likely contentious, but it needs to be asked. As this is a site "...promoting universal truths and peaceful life without religion" how do you feel about people of faith joining here?

I'm no shrinking violet and I don't need the sort of safe space that so many people believe they do now, but I also don't want to have to engage with people who have been inculcated into some form of unscientific, simple-minded view of the natural world.

I joined in the belief (cough) that this was an exclusive club where I could escape from these folk - but now I find they are joining - with a view to what, I don't know although my hackles are raised.

Not only is this sort of thing wasteful of resources, but if they are here to try to convert or preach at us, that's likely to result in a dissemination to all-out flame wars in a post or two.

I didn't think this was a site to convert people from one way of thinking to another (that sort of thing is nigh-on impossible by the time we're in our 20s anyway.)

I ask because I'm interested what my fellow angostic/athiests think.

I've noted that "theists" tend to butt in to these conversations with their ignorance and that's what I came here to avoid.

I'm getting too old to argue.

Draco 6 Sep 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

583 comments (76 - 100)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Why would they join such a site? Could only be one reason and that's to try and save souls which would be like giving telemarketers your phone number. I joined here because I am surrounded by them taunting me in this Bible belt and I'm tired of humouring their crazy thoughts. I have been on other sites to meet singles and it takes so much time tinfoil through profiles to make sure that forgone thing I don't bother to talk to any religious women on any level of faith in god's. So this site would be pointless. I feel comfortable that I have at least one of the most important in common things with each other and that is That we think with logic and not just what the Bible says.

perfectly phrased. thank you.

I am trying to get away from them. it’s like being spyed upon. sucks. They keep trying to force women to serve.

I have to say let them come. I always respond to anything religious that I come across. I am a bastard of a man who will knock them down and kick their stupidity and their dogma while they are down! Bring it on. The only things I won't do is burn them at the stake,(for christians) or chop off their heads (for mo slums)! (Please shy wizard nutters, bring your buybull or other wholly (bullshit) books!)

NO, I came to this site to get away from all the religious stuff. I don't care to listen to their reasons for believing as they do. They have plenty of places to go and share their "good news" we don't, so I vote NO.

Thank you for preserving community. ...the only believer I would let in here is one who tells the truth about the bibles quorans gitas and jw tracts. ...if they competently admit religion is wrong and like Thomas Paine only confess DEISM they have a well deserved place in the founding gawdless US CONSTITUTION. ...Paine did not worship nor tell lies for magical thinking ......speaking of our duty to use our watchmaker minds DEISTS reason for heaven on earth not after life unethical rewards nor hell threats

Are you telling me that Ozzy wasted his time writing and singing god is dead for no reason then.... wtf break my non existent heart.

My being molested by a pastor notwithstanding, I simply do not trust ardent believers. The bottom line of their belief system is proselytizing...the ultimate agenda.

You bet they are 100% UNtrustworthy ....the only xian you can trust is a toddler on his 1st day in Sunday School ask him what lies he learned an hour later and we can undo the damage one nightmare later it may be too late for life

Most are very adamant about their beliefs and get very heated and argumentative, I have seen this time and time again in facebook and other areas, while am open to it, I also firmly advise caution.

I was a believer for 20 years. I don't mind. I think it's a good idea because then they will learn that god is not real.

Do you honestly believe that? That any come here with the intent of learning anything?

no they won't. i have never seen it happen. what i have seen is believers proselytizing, or asking provocative questions for the purpose of converting us, or even being scammers CLAIMING to be believers and looking for the naive to scam. it is POSSIBLE a believer might have doubts and come here to figure it all out. i haven't seen it yet.

g

It depends. I'd always chat with seekers. But not with those who wish to proselytize or covert.

There are plenty of churches and places of worship for them to congregate. For us there are almost none. I vote NO.

MizJ Level 8 Oct 16, 2018

Don't mind. Good debate with a hapless theiest is enjoyable sometimes.

Echo7 Level 3 Oct 13, 2018

I don’t really want them because I come here to get away from them. I do know there are wonderful religious people. I have to deal with them all day. I need a break from them when I am on my own time. You are called Agnostic.com the dating site for agnostics. Be what you call yourself, or what’s the point of this? They have their dating site already. They don’t need to be here too.

My Feelings, easy answer:
"Open To Believers by Non-Believers" means
"Open & Mutual Respectful Open Minds"

• I don't know what the rules presently say, but so far I haven't run into too many covert or overt theists.
  • If a theist wants to join as an overt up-front theist, I might be ok with there being some limited capacity for them to do so, perhaps in a cordoned off area where they can engage with atheists/agnostics who do want to engage with them. It is possible that someday I suppose I could enjoy some discussion with them, but it will damage the usefulness of this site for me if the site just becomes a broader mixture and if I am not able to zoom in and engage only with atheists and agnostics as the main activity here.
  • I am against theists covertly pretending to be atheists and joining, but it is something that is going to happen from time to time. I also usually succeed in avoiding wasting my time trying to figure out if someone I am speaking with is not being up-front aboout their theism. I guess I just focus on the topic at hand and eventually if they're a theist, hopefully they will just realize I'm not interested in their nothing game.
kmaz Level 7 Oct 11, 2018

Why not let them hear a worthwhile idea or two, as long as they are not rude to others and don't waste peoples time. And I am sorry to disagree, but I have changed my opinions on several thing since I was twenty, (long time ago) and hope I always will, that is what keeps you alive and moving forward.

We all have obviously managed to get this far with out getting sucked in.. So what safer place than here is there to have a little bit of religious debate.. I, personally don't believe in ANY religion, or "God" OR the bible.. I do how ever believe in Jesus, the MAN" and what he stood for and the MOVEMENT* NOT RELIGION, that he TRIED to create.. Everything about the man, including HIS NAME was hijacked by religion, when TRUTH be told, the man was more AGAINST organized religion than we are.. LOL So let them bring it on..

I also want to point out to the naysayers, how many times I have read the words, "FREE THINKERS", and "OPEN MINDED" on here, of which I am truly impressed, so lets keep it that way, for all..

Agnostic
a person who believes that nothing is known or can be known of the existence or nature of God or of anything beyond material phenomena; a person who claims neither faith nor disbelief in God.
I say, let them come.. The whole idea of agnosticism Agnosticism is the view that the existence of God, of the divine or the supernatural is unknown or unknowable. Everybody is wrong and yet everybody is right.. So what is wrong with a little debating and sharing thoughts and ideas.. Otherwise you are just preaching to the choir.. But then of course, without any differences in ideas and thoughts and beliefs, everybody can stay comfortable and content. Right.? And that sort of feels like a rutt to me.. Don't get me wrong.. I am huge anti religion.. But it is not from religion that I learn and grow, but from people..

As long as they can be civil, let them join.

I have no objection to a statement of belief. I do not, however, see this as a place for debate. Read, think, but if you wish to proselytize, take it elsewhere. I'll be happy to argue by email. (More appropriate forum anyway.)

Depends on how disruptive they intend to be.
If they want to ask questions and have a dialog, let them come. If they want to preach the truth of the bible they can take their evil superstitions and lies and stick it somewhere no one can see.

Are we allowed to eat them?

LOL..

Cooked? I'll put up the steak...Er, stake. We'll enjoy a good bonfire before dinner!

As a believer who just joined your group: “Boo.”

I'm not big in launching into a dispute for which there is no clear opposition. Are religious people attempting to join Agnostics.com? There may be but I have not seen anything beyond a few agnostics who are presumably "on the fence".

OCJoe Level 6 Sep 26, 2018

There is one - the "Boo" bird. I hope I don't scare anyone.

@rock9361 No offense...you're not in the least ''scary." More to the point...have you decided to come hear and bore everyone with your myths? Dogma? Understand that many people here have no respect whatsoever for the religious point of view. And we'll express those feelings freely, because....(drum roll) THIS IS AN ATHEIST/AGNOSTIC SITE! We can speak out about the ignorance of ''flat earthers'' or ''Witnesses" or Catholics, Baptists, etc. I believe this will eventually bother you.

I don't like the idea. I joined because the site advertised as a place for non-believers to be away from all that. I've seen a couple recent posts, such as the "how do you recognize design" question, that just make me feel like I'm going to be subjected to the same things I avoid other sites because of.

IF they are allowed in with blatantly religious posts, I will challenge them ruthlessly. I don't go to their sites to proselytize, if they come to mine I will give them only the respect they give us, and i don't consider preaching to be respectful of the agnostic.com mission statement.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:291
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.