Agnostic.com

583 117

Fellow agnostics, how do you feel about believers joining?

This is likely contentious, but it needs to be asked. As this is a site "...promoting universal truths and peaceful life without religion" how do you feel about people of faith joining here?

I'm no shrinking violet and I don't need the sort of safe space that so many people believe they do now, but I also don't want to have to engage with people who have been inculcated into some form of unscientific, simple-minded view of the natural world.

I joined in the belief (cough) that this was an exclusive club where I could escape from these folk - but now I find they are joining - with a view to what, I don't know although my hackles are raised.

Not only is this sort of thing wasteful of resources, but if they are here to try to convert or preach at us, that's likely to result in a dissemination to all-out flame wars in a post or two.

I didn't think this was a site to convert people from one way of thinking to another (that sort of thing is nigh-on impossible by the time we're in our 20s anyway.)

I ask because I'm interested what my fellow angostic/athiests think.

I've noted that "theists" tend to butt in to these conversations with their ignorance and that's what I came here to avoid.

I'm getting too old to argue.

Draco 6 Sep 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

583 comments (226 - 250)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have several personallites . I'll only let my agnostic one come here.

accentuate the positive....medicate the negative

Sounds like a challenge. Although I've never heard of an open-minded fundamentalist. The Christian lable is so vague, there might be some who are just curious about how we think.

The fundamentalist and crazies dare not enter because it is more than likely a "SIN" for them to converse with the "unbelieving crowd"

@LetzGetReal Trolls are a waste of time and energy!

As I have said in previous posts....more or less, so long as fundamentalism, doesn't enter into it....who am I to argue?

RonB Level 5 Apr 25, 2018

Are you scared? There can be no flame war if you do not react. Also, there is a Delete button.

There's a Delete Button??
I thought there was a 'block' button too, but I can't find it now.
Hmmm

@scurry If you have your Alert function set up ( the bell icon) to get your responses, then you can delete them.

@Spinliesel Ah yes - That I can do. Thanks 😀

@scurry scroll down to their chart with levels & labels and the block button their has red letters

@GreenAtheist thanks. 🙂

As long as they can be respectful, I say yes. This place should be safe for people like me who rarely, if ever, get to speak out about their beliefs for fear of threats and social punishments. We should be respectful towards them, as well.

I agree to some extent. Everything seems saturated by religious overtones these days and it is nice to find a place where one can escape from it for awhile. On the other hand, it may be that there are those who come here with doubts of their own. I give them credit for seeking opinions/information that is not just another validation of their own belief system. I’m trying to be generous here. Other times, I get annoyed by it.

I agree. I don't want to be preached out by anyone about anything. Just discuss and learn.

I feel you...

As a former believer I can only say patience, respect and perseverence is key. They are not just here to preach, they probably have something to prove to themselves if they throw themselves into harm's way in "the lair of unbelief"...

The bible thumpers rarely hang out in the "funny cat photos" section of this app which is where you'll probably find me...

Over 425 comments and still going strong. How about re-posting this as a poll?

I am not thrilled at the prospects of religious, faithful people joining this site. It is like me going "born again" and stay in the site to convert atheists into god fearing christians. It does not sound right to me. I was looking for freedom FROM religion. I have a brother and a cousin that for years have been trying to convert me and no way am I going to let that happen. I'd rather be dead.

Also, I do like a good old fashioned, respectable debate. I'm not a fan of echo chambers and I personally DO WANT my beliefs challenged... How else am I suppose to learn and grow as a human being?

The TAMPON TERRORISTS run their echo chambers screaming outside abortion clinics USA BY THE HUNDREDS

Agree Draco. I'm looking for a sanctuary (cough cough) away from religious bs. I view believers mainly entering as trolls. Let them debate it elsewhere please.

I think they should join if they are curious about non believers and as long as they are civil and try to keep an open mind, I don't see why not.

Go to any abortion clinic and hear the screams of TAMPON TERRORISTs who on our agnostic posts quote their violent abortion bibles TO SEE WHY NOT

I haven't come across any religious believers on this site, but I can't see any reason to exclude them if they abide by the standards of the site and engage in temperate and civilized discussion. It could be that they have doubts and are interested in finding out whether atheists are as bad as they are painted.

yes, exactly. great answer 🙂

@LetzGetReal You don't think it's better to engage them in discussion ? You never know, you might convince them!

Let everyone do them. Who ever wants to join... join. Just be mindful of all o hope. I don't push my ideas on to others to convince them of my way. If asked I tell. If interested, I explain more. If not I respect and ask that they respect me differences.

Let everyone do them. Who ever wants to join... join. Just be mindful of all o hope. I don't push my ideas on to others to convince them of my way. If asked I tell. If interested, I explain more. If not I respect and ask that they respect me differences.

I don't care, but I don't want to hear your nonsense.

If they keep their god bothering to themselves, realize they are a guest in this space and act accordingly, then fine. If they have sincere questions I am more than happy to answer them.

Negative. People who believe in and preach fantasy don't mix well with people who attempt to stay in touch with reality.

In theory, I welcome diversity of opinions and challenges to my way of thinking. However, in my experience, most religious people neither argue rationally nor honestly. The lack of honesty bothers me more than the lack of reason.

there is diversity of opinions here! Being a skeptic I don't know how one can be an atheist and believe in the zodiac but it happens. There are people here who still believe in reiki or crystals or any number of things which have no scientific basis. I can't figure them out. Maybe you can.

@MsDemeanour Good point. I think that many people have a deep-seated need to believe in something, almost anything, to give their lives meaning and structure. Just because you have freed yourself from one superstition doesn't necessarily mean you have freed yourself from all superstitions. The history of Communist USSR shows that while they preached atheism, on one hand, they practically make a religion of the State on the other hand. It is not unknown for some societies to make a demigod out of their political leader such as in North Korea. Some people who swear they are not superstitious, nevertheless have a lucky shirt or pair of shoes they wear for sports. In fact, sports players are often notorious for their superstitious practices even though it may be in direct conflict with their professed religion. This deep-seated need was famously explored by Victor Frankl in his book, "Man's Search for Meaning" back in 1946.

I think they should be able to join but would hope they would be in the mindset of willing to listen, open to learning, debate... maybe getting them to think differently. But no trolls. No fakers. Hopefully we all are sharp enough to recognize that ina person's comments.

I joined to be free from that sort of thinking. It is a bit scary in the bible belt to have people know that you don't believe. I guess they can't be kept out because they would just lie to get in. It's better to ask if they believe in God, because they can not deny him, right? I want to be free from religion somewhere. I was hoping it was here. I will stay. There are more people like me here than there are anywhere.

Polly Level 4 Apr 10, 2018

I am all for it. Being believer does not necessarily mean being an ass. As long as they are willing to be nice and receptive

Abay Level 2 Apr 10, 2018

Keep them away, we have enough from them in everyday life, don't need them here. Ban them if necessary.

yep, that happens 🙂

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

yep, exactly my sentiment 😀

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:291
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.