Agnostic.com

583 117

Fellow agnostics, how do you feel about believers joining?

This is likely contentious, but it needs to be asked. As this is a site "...promoting universal truths and peaceful life without religion" how do you feel about people of faith joining here?

I'm no shrinking violet and I don't need the sort of safe space that so many people believe they do now, but I also don't want to have to engage with people who have been inculcated into some form of unscientific, simple-minded view of the natural world.

I joined in the belief (cough) that this was an exclusive club where I could escape from these folk - but now I find they are joining - with a view to what, I don't know although my hackles are raised.

Not only is this sort of thing wasteful of resources, but if they are here to try to convert or preach at us, that's likely to result in a dissemination to all-out flame wars in a post or two.

I didn't think this was a site to convert people from one way of thinking to another (that sort of thing is nigh-on impossible by the time we're in our 20s anyway.)

I ask because I'm interested what my fellow angostic/athiests think.

I've noted that "theists" tend to butt in to these conversations with their ignorance and that's what I came here to avoid.

I'm getting too old to argue.

Draco 6 Sep 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

583 comments (401 - 425)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Yeah, I’m not big in letting religious people as well. I joined the group to meet people that are of similar thinking. That being said, I think we already have a enough diversity with the different types of people here: atheists, freethinkers, agnostics, etc..

I contributed to this thread before but I cannot see my post, which is odd. So I will keep it brief and add my support to the general view here that there are other places for believers and non believers to engage. This should be for non believers only to share and debate. Getting into debates with religionists is easy, online and in the real world. What's hard is connecting to other non religionists. This is a great place for that.

No, i don't think that they should be here. One of christianitys' prime motivations is to convert the masses, and I don't think that is in the spirit of this group. Besides the site is called agnostics.com not anyone.com.

For a site that is about "..promoting universal truths and peaceful life without religion" there are a whole lot of posts about religion. So I don't suppose a few more would do any harm.

Mmm; I hear/read what you're stating, and hope/trust that not too many "vocal but not thoughtful" theists will over-post here; but.... Am fine with folks as long as they are civil and earnest in witnessing for what they believe in. In fact, am hopeful that religious individuals might learn from participating... even if they at times proselytize occasionally. Am happy to try proffering my views in return; hoping to sway believers to rationality.

If a religious person joins and is respectful to others here then I'm okay with it. I would enjoy discussing religion with a religious person as long as they are rational and polite about it. Anyone who comes here trying to start trouble or spread religion should be banned.

Also, there's absolutely nothing that a religious person could say to sway me to their religion. Nothing short of empirical evidence could do that and no one has submitted any real evidence of the existence of any gods.

I've only been a member for a few hours. If I was accosted by a believer, I have some tactics that I use to dampen their ardor. Sometimes I say to a fundamentalist trying to get me to accept Christ in my heart, "I believe in evidence; when you ask me to have faith, I will tell you that I have faith in science based evidence that can be proven via visual and auditory perception". I am also comfortable saying that per such evidence, no one has ever proven or disproven the existence of an omnipotent entity who created our universe, solar system, and Planet Earth merely out of its own free will. I also believe that any entity that creates a race of beings, gives that race free will, then punishes those whose exercise of free will does not follow some arbitrary religious commandments, is a psychopath.

Only if they are serious about wanting information. NO threat’s, trying to convert us, or lies. I’m willing to have a philosophical talk.

Unfortunately it is often NOT information they want but reassurance over the potentially very threatening things that can happen like death. Would you deny them that reassurance? remember you cannot prove what death will be like - not the last time I tried anyway.

If they join, they should be made to wear the mark of the cross on their foreheads, so they can easily be identified (and ridiculed).

I would like to think that a believer who joins such a platform's days of believing are numbered 😀

No, no trolls needed ! They have thousands upon thousands of churches filled with like-minded people.

Trolling is bad from either side.

@Mcflewster to be honest I have nothing against trolling. however, I like my trolls to be quiet and we all know that never happens.

if believers join, then its fine but don't call this agnostic.com call it people.com

Make em as welcome as a Christian pilgrim in an early Viking village!

I’m kind of undecided about it.

They are not all bigots and some of our 'side' ARE bigots.

I think you don’t appreciate my sense of humor

anyone should be allowed to join. believers don't like to listen to us, as they are not 100% sure of their beliefs. i am not scared of their fantasies. if they can take the reactions of people that live in reality, let them try to convert us. sounds like fun!

turf Level 5 Dec 23, 2017

There are many online forums where believers and nonbelievers slug it out. That's fine, but the flaming and attacking is alienating. I joined here so I could hear the voices of non believers, the agreements, disagreements, common views and dissenting ones. I don't mind if fellow non believers disagree with me, or have different views, but I really don't want to read the same old religious arguments that I have heard for decades dredged up here. There's a kind of shared consciousness here, despite differing views, and that's not easy to create in an online forum, and I think it works really well as it is. That's my ten cents worth.

What rules would you devise to eliminate these people during moderation. I have heard that the "DOCTOR WHO" site is very good at moderation.

No harm at all in dealing with a well intentioned intellect. A proselytizer, however, is a different matter. I say let them in, with the proviso that they are fair game.

I haven't noticed any theists on here! Gosh, I'm not sure what my reaction would be - come on guys!

I think it would add to the conversation and bring on the converters....I learn a lot from people who try to convert....that's like a carnival of conversation. Why isn't Carnival Of Conversation a Grunge Band in the 90's?

NO NO NO. Believers will fill the page with arguments for their position. I've seen it on other atheist sites - endless, fruitless debates. I'm new here but am firm on this one!

I'm with you I get enough harassment at home and work from these people. Being here has been therapeutic for me as I don't always feel hunted by a bunch of pack animals that refuse to believe they're animals, giving them licence to act like one without feeling remorse.

That's so awful. One of the things this site has shown me is what an awful time you atheists have in the US. Not quite as bad as in the countries where you can get killed for being one, but still pretty bad! Come over here to England! We have a much easier time of it.

I don't care as they can clearly see what the sites about.

I live in Texas. I'm tired of trying to explain atheism (which I why I tell them I'm Jewish) to them. We are likely to get the fundies challenging us, not the liberal Christians, who are usually fine with atheism.

Ask the people who set up the site and included belief options.

Who here has actually experienced this dreaded, "preaching"?

There are those rare believers who are just curious about how other people think and not threatened or insulted that there are atheists. I enjoy conversation with those folks. But please, please do not subject us to trolls here.

jmott Level 3 Dec 19, 2017
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:291
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.