Agnostic.com

583 117

Fellow agnostics, how do you feel about believers joining?

This is likely contentious, but it needs to be asked. As this is a site "...promoting universal truths and peaceful life without religion" how do you feel about people of faith joining here?

I'm no shrinking violet and I don't need the sort of safe space that so many people believe they do now, but I also don't want to have to engage with people who have been inculcated into some form of unscientific, simple-minded view of the natural world.

I joined in the belief (cough) that this was an exclusive club where I could escape from these folk - but now I find they are joining - with a view to what, I don't know although my hackles are raised.

Not only is this sort of thing wasteful of resources, but if they are here to try to convert or preach at us, that's likely to result in a dissemination to all-out flame wars in a post or two.

I didn't think this was a site to convert people from one way of thinking to another (that sort of thing is nigh-on impossible by the time we're in our 20s anyway.)

I ask because I'm interested what my fellow angostic/athiests think.

I've noted that "theists" tend to butt in to these conversations with their ignorance and that's what I came here to avoid.

I'm getting too old to argue.

Draco 6 Sep 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

583 comments (276 - 300)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

As a new member, I'd say no. Most believers are not interested in honest discussion about their claims, and simply run away when they find they have nothing to support their beliefs. They get upset when no one is willing to blindly agree to their claims, demand respect when they have not earned it.

Since I do enjoy debating theists, if we could limit them to a very small area, I'd have no problem with that. But if they are goingto be seagulls and try and poo on everything, no.

velk Level 4 Mar 5, 2018

yes, exactly my sentiment, but better worded 🙂

I think it is a bad idea

horrible idea,makes no sense.

Could be a good thing if we can convert them to reason instead of superstition

except that i didn't come here for the purposes of converting anyone 😀

I'd be ok with believers joining, but only if their argumentative posts were limited to one "message board" for debate.

Hopefully they'll learn something. It is a little strange though maybe they're agno-curious and losing faith.

I don't want them on here. This is our private club house. Like the old treehouse sign "no girls allowed" I don't want believers in our clubhouse. We have to listen to them enough outside our club. Get out and go away buttinski.

absolutely 😀

agree 100%

I am new. Only if the believers are questioning. I like to be somewhere where my beliefs/lack of beliefs are not challenged. I am so tired of answering hateful statements caged as questions on Qoura.I think I have graduated from "logical arguments that are not listened to by closeminded people"

In order for this site to have meaningful and complete discussions, all sides should be given the opportunity to say their piece. I'm certain that very few if any folks here will be swayed by the arguments they have already heard their entire lives. Discussion is the way we all can be heard. Don't fear them, let them have their say and then respond.

no fear here, just bored to tears, dear.

Walklightly, I didn't mean to suggest that you had fear, it was just meant to be a generalism. So often barring anyone of anything is the result of fear.

most theists I have engaged are bullies who want everyone to agree with them, and then when they are confronted, then whine about how they aren't getting "respect" as their escape hatch, when they've been cornered. The problem is that one cannot hold their feet to the fire.

@velk Yes, they do tend to want a fight rather than a discussion, but not all of them are that way. Perhaps they are looking to answers from different thinkers. And most bullying is caused by fear of being wrong.

just had enough of their BS.. voting NO

A few days ago on this site I ran into a level 7 fellow who has a major problems with "science" and "atheists". I spent a great deal of time demonstrating his objection against atheists and science, if he valued truth, (demonstrable) were inferior to the non-science method (faith (belief without evidence)) based claims . One of his rebuttals (before telling me (more then once) he did not like me and to quit "harassing" him (by pointing out problems in his assertions), he included in context "We" (members of agnostic.com (all agnostics)) agreed with his assertions and (implied) did not include atheists or those that respect science.

As much as I wished agnostics and atheist were the same, there are some that believe in the supernatural and devalue science that consider themselves agnostic.

Do I wish people like him did not exist on this website. Yes.

I have also run into many theists that pose question such as "What happened to you to make you not believe in god?" When I explain their loaded question was dishonest and give examples of why is question is flawed as we have no evidence that a god exists, the what I can only guess was is a theist got really annoyed - - - . Do I wish his type did not exist on this website? yes.

I was also in hopes people that failed to use evidence to support claims or believed in un-testable supernatural events would not be a part of this community. Sadly this is not the case.

I joined this group to get away from religious people.

welcome! me too.

If they are here to meet people and understand our though process, no problem.

MarqG Level 5 Feb 23, 2018

I was happy and excited to find this website. I felt like I was coming home...that I am speaking with friends. There are few individuals in my life with whom I can freely discuss any subject in its entirety. There are entire subject areas that I cannot mention in discussions and social engagements. This is exhausting and frustrating. I would prefer not having people of faith on this site. PS...I really liked the suggestion of 'acknowledging' someone's beliefs as opposed to respecting them.

Flame wars... only if folks can be civil and not preach. I do not see the point. But I am happy to debate their "beliefs" with my facts any day.

can monkeys not chatter?

I share your position. I have, however burned many hours trying to "education" but in reality infuriating theists on this website.

I vote we welcome any and all and not try to be an exclusive club. Consider, that believers that come to this site may be on the fence and need some logical, scientific dialogue instead of the constant preachy bromide that they are stuck with in their lives.

it should be easy to figure out which believer is sitting on the fence; it's what the initial profile questions are for.
the one experience i have with a believer here is rather grating, as the person keeps fading in the background once he runs out of arguments, only to crop up somewhere else & start his condescending dispute for a god again.
apart from all that i can't really be bothered with what believers need, not on this site. i came here to get away from the constant bigotry, not to have this, my refuge, poisoned by it as well.

I wouldn't care if they are here, just so long as they don't prosthelytize. I'm not even really enthusiastic about all the atheist rants either, but I guess there has to be a place for that somewhere. I was really hoping for a safe space from being preached at or otherwise having the theistic culture bashed over my head, and there would be a lot of topics that would have nothing to do with religion.

No one has any idea why they believe, nor the ability to discern what they believe from reality. Agnostics may believe but have doubt, humanists a general belief in the nature and goodness of man, etc. We all believe in something, so your question is null and deserves no answer. But if you're using the term believer in a highly prejudicial way, I.e. placing all religionists in the same basket(the way most non religionists are called atheist) then my answer is; why not?? Are you afraid that you might hear something useful from a believer, that your assumed ideas at infallible, afraid you might "drink the kool-aid". Pretty closed minded from where I stand

your comment contains at least 7 (seven) assumptions, so it's gonna be a tad difficult to disentangle your "message" from the mess, but i'll try my damnedest.

1. "no one has any idea why they believe" = false, many believers will tell you that it gives them comfort & a sense of belonging.
  2. "..nor the ability to discern what they believe from reality" = how would YOU know?
  3. "agnostics...have doubt" = false, i have no knowledge AND no doubt.
  4. "humanists a general belief..." = false, humanism is not attached to any "general belief".
  5. "we all believe in something" = absolutely false. i believe in nothing.
  6. "most non-religionists [never heard that term before] are called atheists" = statistics, please.
  7. "afraid that...your assumed ideas..." = how would YOU know?

& there goes your "MESSage".

this website is designed to serve the agnostic community.
if i come across a website that caters to christians (as in: believers in a christian god) i will, as a heathen, be able to muster the selfcontrol & tolerance to steer clear of it.
if, on the other hand, you prefer to engage in lively discussions about the pros & cons of belief or not, i am sure you will find a website on the worldwide web that will accommodate this desire.
agnostics.com is NOT it.

@walklightly Thank you for saving me a great deal of time, I felt obligated to point out a similar list. I would have included for your #2 response that many atheists (like myself) use the scientific method (testable repeatable verifiable based on real world facts i.e. reality) and although not infallible, has provided the best methodology . . . "to discern what they believe from reality"

If it becomes to many theists here insisting to share their delusions, we may at some point need a block button. It is not about safe spaces it is about avoiding getting annoyed by the same nonsense many already have to face everywhere else.

If the believer is belittling Atheism, and just being toxic I'm sure the individual would be flagged and maybe admin would step-in. It is pretty easy to ignore posts/comments that do not add value to a discussion, therefore I'm not worried about it becoming a problem.

However if the individual is asking rational questions and wants an atheistic point of view then I'd be more than happy to share my thoughts.

so far i only encountered one condescending believer.

I have run into a couple of theists that are much less then pleasant including a condescending, atheist mocking, science ridiculing level 7 member of this site.

Maybe gluten's for punishment?

I'm new here, but my first inclination is to encourage productive discourse. That requires respect from either side.

I'm all for everybody joining. I'm not for assholes wasting my time and energy.

& what reason, do you think, a believer would have to join a website called "agnostic"? i don't reckon it's for "productive discourse"; at least that's not my experience.

@walklightly: that's a fair question. i would imagine the same folk, like me, who were once believers and wondered if there's something else.

fair enough, @wolffr13. it's just not my experience on this site. the only believer i did encounter & keep stumbling upon is very much determined to convince everyone who is willing to listen & engage in "discourse" that there is a god blabla. i can argue him down to the nub, until he slithers out of the conversation - just to start off with someone else. for his opportunistic attitude not to follow through to the bitter end of his arguments, i had to place him into the "asshole" category - he grabs topics, turning them into his & taking time, energy & focus from many.

A-Gnostic =Lacking a certain KNOWLEDGE of any God.

A-Theist = Lacking a belief in any Gods

It is possible for a person to be either agnostic Atheist or Theist.

What I would ask of believers who are agnostic is, since you realidly admit you do not have evidence of your God (by being Agnostic, not having direct knwoledge of that God, ie proof), what makes you think your reasons for believing in that God are valid?

By what Method did you determine your beliefs, absent that knowledge, are valid?

i am not a believer, so i can & will not answer your question; just to point out something about belief: if i would want there to be a god, but have no scientific or other evidence of a god existing, then, & only then will i need a belief in such a god. would i have knowledge of a god existing, on the other hand, belief would become superfluous. i understand myself as an agnostic (i have no knowledge of a god existing), as well as an atheist (i do not believe that a god exists).

@walklightly Correct, I do not need to Believe in my Pickup, I know it to be real.

precisely, @Davesnothere 😀

There are plenty of other sites for debating theists (I'm active under this handle on two of them, TheThinkingAtheist.com/forum and city-data.com/forum (the latter has a pretty active atheism & agnosticism form and a generic religion & spirituality forum, although in my view the moderation is a touch heavy-handed and intrusive).

I rather like the lack of theists (especially theist trolls) here, it's not so much a desire for a "safe space" as for exchanging ideas with like minded folks without having to be girded for battle all the time. Sparring is fun, to a point, but just having a discussion is a breath of fresh air.

It's a little like the now-defunct site my current wife and I met on, tbd.com (stood for "to be determined" ). It limited membership to people over 40 (and it wasn't a dating site, either). Man, did THAT elevate the discourse, just eliminating all the youthful angst. This site feels a little bit like that to me -- it's like unbelievers are way more intellectually honest and mature and centered.

Personally I would not want believers on here, it's one of the distinctives of this site that set it apart. There are relatively few knuckle-draggers among us. I'd like to keep it that way.

Another thing I'm discovering about this site is that I feel somewhat more open about discussing my life and thinking on certain topics when I know it's not going to be seized on and distorted by someone who is looking to have them some confirmation bias about some atheist stereotype. If believers think atheists are depressed, nihilistic and miserable, you don't feel like be honest about your personal pain points. Just a thought.

Just take a look at TheThinkingAtheist.com/forum as a guest, look through the threads and you'll see lots of really brainless theists get on there, thinking they have an original argument that is going to slay us, getting shot down in flames and just not quitting. Some of them aren't even coherent, or are outright mentally ill. It's fun, in a shooting-fish-in-a-barrel sort of way, to nuke them, but it quickly wears thin. Life is about way more than anti-theism.

thank you, this is such a perfectly succinct perspective; where do i sign it? i certainly couldn't have said it better; it resonates with me 100%. just for once not having to feel tense & prepared to be chopped down by the cerebrectomised ones... what an enlivening experience!

Bravo!

Sadly, I've run into a few "knuckle daggers" here.

It would kinda be like if I were to walk into Church on Sunday. Pointless ? Unless they're just truly interested or thinking maybe they're more like us and want to check it out ?

Sometimes methinks they doth protest too much on other unbeliever forums where they're welcome. I think some of them ARE curious. Others want to sharpen their apologetics / debate form, although they are generally awful at it and never seem to improve.

It wouldn't necessarily be pointless to walk into some kinds of Churches, the ones that hold beliefs very loosely or iconoclastically. One can find much common cause with liberal theism, if you can ignore the god talk. My wife volunteers at a food kitchen run by Episcopalians for example. So in a way I could see more open / intellectually honest believers coming by for a chat, but sadly, mostly what you get are the fundamentalist nutjobs and some unaffiliated types who make it up as they go.

Like Dillahunty said about their debates. I don't want just you fellow atheists to attend. I want Christians, other religious. The point is to share and bounce ideas, educate. You can't educate if they are not listening.

Problem is, many of them don't come to listen, they come to talk. And talk. And talk.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:291
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.