Agnostic.com

583 117

Fellow agnostics, how do you feel about believers joining?

This is likely contentious, but it needs to be asked. As this is a site "...promoting universal truths and peaceful life without religion" how do you feel about people of faith joining here?

I'm no shrinking violet and I don't need the sort of safe space that so many people believe they do now, but I also don't want to have to engage with people who have been inculcated into some form of unscientific, simple-minded view of the natural world.

I joined in the belief (cough) that this was an exclusive club where I could escape from these folk - but now I find they are joining - with a view to what, I don't know although my hackles are raised.

Not only is this sort of thing wasteful of resources, but if they are here to try to convert or preach at us, that's likely to result in a dissemination to all-out flame wars in a post or two.

I didn't think this was a site to convert people from one way of thinking to another (that sort of thing is nigh-on impossible by the time we're in our 20s anyway.)

I ask because I'm interested what my fellow angostic/athiests think.

I've noted that "theists" tend to butt in to these conversations with their ignorance and that's what I came here to avoid.

I'm getting too old to argue.

Draco 6 Sep 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

583 comments (376 - 400)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

They can join but they will never convince me to believe a book that some uneducated man wrote.

I enjoy a robust debate (so robust it scared MVSS-O) BUT this is a space where we can debate a multitude of things from a purely non-religious PoV. The religious have the whole world in which to play, they can let us have this bit to ourselves.

Oh MY!! Well this should be fun. First, if they come to understand the reality of religion, god or higher being and ask serious questions I welcome them. There are no dumb questions. If they come to try and convince people on this site of their view or they come to condemn and damn then they are in the wrong forum and need to be block from the site. Pretty simple. IMO

I don’t own the site. So why quibble over something I have zero control of. So I didn’t take the bait in real life nor will I start having my spirit manipulated by MAN made ideas of something higher than oneself to describe everyone and everything’s existence. Non factors the believers believe in whatever they believe. I believe in myself, my efforts and the capacity to overcome.

why would they come here, except to proselytize?

I don't mind occasionally engaging with a believer who is respectful, thoughtful, and who is willing to acknowledge when the value of what's being exchanged has been exhausted. This describes a minority of my interactions online in most places, but the number of such exchanged I've had is greater than zero.

There are already plenty of other places where that sort of thing can happen.

My understanding of this forum is it's a place for non-believers to meet one another to form friendships or possibly romantic relationships with one another.

Put another way, you won't find my profile at ChristianMingle.com.

I don't think the faithful should be admitted. If they still consider themselves so, then chances are they just want to spread what they believe and convert people, just as they've been programmed to.

However, there should be a "questioning" or "investigating" option for those who are dipping their toes in the water to see if it's safe.
Some people are only "religious" because of peer pressure and the expectations of their community.

But definitely don't admit the faithful. Their tiny egos will not be able to endure here.

Let them join they have no argument!...

Awake Level 3 Jan 3, 2018

I joined this site to get away from the religious mumbo-jumbo found on other sites. I have joined many online dating sites where this nonsense takes place all the time. I found this site to be a refreshing delight. No, the religious do not belong here.

I believe in the primacy of free speech and that includes the right of a believer to enter a domain populated by non-believers and advance, in a respectful manner, an argument. If we insulate ourselves, as believers do, we become hypocrites.

I would welcome them with open arms. We do have a good thing going here and it is awesome to have a intelligent group of people who are mostly on the same page as I am to discuss things with but I think that it would be a good thing for theist to join in and possibly see for themselves that we aren't evil terrible people who ought to be burned for our beliefs.

Also, I sometimes feel as though I am , pardon the expression, preaching to the choir. For the most part, we agree about stuff so debates would be more interesting if those who think differently were included.

Why would a believer join a group dedicated to a philosophy diametrically opposed to their views? Are they here as trolls? Nope, I would not welcome Christians or whatever to a place I feel comfortable being in. Go to your church or something.

If a believer joined, it would only be for contentious reasons and I'd think the suffering party would be laughed right out of here.

Not one to shy from debate or discussion, however, I welcome any and all to tap at my door on a weekend morning, hangover be damned, or an inbox exchange where one desperately wishes to save my soul.

Bring. It.

Let em join if they want. Some may be seeking for knowledge but some just want to argue. Still, everyone deserves to be respected. If a person is a troll, I don't really care. It's not me they have problems with. It's defending their belief that causes them angst. You can also block them (I think I saw that feature).

Goat Level 5 Jan 1, 2018

They would only come here to try to convert us. No thank you. Been there, done that.

@mickeyrom - I'm not that good at reading minds.

When I run into a person (on this site) who expresses a dislike for atheists and tries to degrade the value of science I feel obligated to demonstrate their position (which implies the person) is flawed. This takes a great deal of time and usually results in them feeling angry and bad. I really wish they were just not here.

I have not had the chance to encounter a "believer" on this site (thank 'god'😉, but I'm inclined to believe that those who are joining are simply trolls, trying to convert... the completely unprepared since most of the people here know more about the bible than they do.

I'm often told that "the reason you don't believe in God is that you haven't read the bible."

I respond by saying, "No! The reason you believe in God is that YOU haven't read the bible."

no thanks I live in a very religious often proseletysing wee town this is a nice getaway for me a breath of fresh air.

I like how the admins have set this up. New members can't post anything without a review. Trolls can usually be identified and booted based on their initial activity on the site. Nothing can prevent a believer from creating an account, but they can't do much damage to the community with the safeguards currently in place. Does anyone feel the current safeguards are insufficient?

I just had a rather heated back and forth with a level 7 user who openly has issues with atheists and science. Once you make it past level 5 . . .

It's a free country but my caution is when people live to troll and pick debates all day long negatively when they could be contributing in a positive way-less confrontationally based.

@Stevil I respectfully disagree. I think theists, like the cancer they resemble, need to be addressed.

as a not atheist, I would assume that any dogmatic certainty based person would be a huge bummer here.

I joined because I have my own spiritual reality but I fucking hate classical theism and the anti science bullshit of most of America. but I assume my oprahesque woo woo will be tolerated with derision and I am fine with that. but an actual believer? fuck them. they have like a million places to be.

catbyrd is right. fuck certainty. I just want to think well and love well before I die and no longer exist.

Religion in the way I learned it (fundamentalism) wrecked my life and mental health. I know this sounds religious but de-converting "saved" me. If I could slowly wean away at a fundamentalist and make them more "liberal" or help another de-convert it would be a moral action to me. This is to be balanced with the frustration that I may experience throughout the process.

I've de-converted (face-to-face) a few Catholics that are much healthier after being un-saved from the darkness of superstitious dogma (fear of burning in hell forever). Usually this takes dozens of hours over months to set them free. I have doubts this online form is going to free many theists. But if that is the outcome for some, I (reluctantly) agree it may be wroth the bother.

I would be skeptical of believers joining. What would their motivation be? Disrupt? Argue? Attempt to convert? I think we get enough of God botherers as it is.

Part of me says "hell no!", and part of me says "whatever". They can join, which strikes me as pointless, but the moment they 'start', gotta bounce 'em. I live in South Georgia. I get enough of that bullshit in my daily life. I joined this site to get away from that garbage, and it's been nice interacting with like-minded (for the most part) folk. I'm going to leave it to Admin to weed out the religutards.

I used to live in Valdosta. you have my 'not prayers". lol. I am still in texas tho so fuck me. the god botherers suck.

My first reaction was to say, "hell no" but then, I realize perhaps that is hasty. I think it may be beneficial for those who are considering why they believe. They may learn to open their minds and recognize it is okay to take the driver's seat, heal cognitive dissonance, or,whatever! I know I didn't suddenly decide I know longer had beliefs in Christianity. It was a process. As for those who may come here to "preach".... lol, I think they will be weeded out swiftly. Also, I would give them kudos for trying. I am not vulnerable to them.

" Too old to Argue" ?. Can I please point out that you do not HAVE to argue. You just have to be right. If you are getting tired then you are doing something wrong. It is possible to view each conversation with a religious person as an opportunity for improving your responses and getting THEM to change their minds. Please google Jennifer Hancocks website to find out " How to win an argument without actually arguing" .

One technique is to give up debating - which implies TWO sides when there are multiple sides . Just call it discussion and keep looking for things upon which you do agree. Plenty of other contentious points will arise though.

Here in Henley on Thames UK we have a Meetup group called " Skeptics and believers" where the two sides amicably meet to have stimulating and refreshing discussions. 20 minute 'primer' talks from one side or the other followed firstly by group Q&A and then smaller group table discussions. It is sometimes difficult to get people to leave. This is the way that society should evolve. Example of a talk " Is logic and reason the only way to know?"

Please remember that religious people, by their very nature, never give up, never go away always want to convert you. We will have to wait for them to die and just make their last years comfortable. Please do not wear yourself thin though.

"You just have to be right." I think a lot of what I believe and articulate but all I have to do is be right. that would be nice. never will happen. I am just hoping to a non shithead who thinks well.

You can't be annoyed if you don't participate with their challenges. Personally, I like a little challenge because it makes me think and sharpens my reasoning. Too often though their cognitive dissonance gets boring and I simply end the discussion, because it is pointless to argue about the color of the teapot in orbit around the Earth.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:291
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.