Agnostic.com

583 117

Fellow agnostics, how do you feel about believers joining?

This is likely contentious, but it needs to be asked. As this is a site "...promoting universal truths and peaceful life without religion" how do you feel about people of faith joining here?

I'm no shrinking violet and I don't need the sort of safe space that so many people believe they do now, but I also don't want to have to engage with people who have been inculcated into some form of unscientific, simple-minded view of the natural world.

I joined in the belief (cough) that this was an exclusive club where I could escape from these folk - but now I find they are joining - with a view to what, I don't know although my hackles are raised.

Not only is this sort of thing wasteful of resources, but if they are here to try to convert or preach at us, that's likely to result in a dissemination to all-out flame wars in a post or two.

I didn't think this was a site to convert people from one way of thinking to another (that sort of thing is nigh-on impossible by the time we're in our 20s anyway.)

I ask because I'm interested what my fellow angostic/athiests think.

I've noted that "theists" tend to butt in to these conversations with their ignorance and that's what I came here to avoid.

I'm getting too old to argue.

Draco 6 Sep 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

583 comments (451 - 475)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It's easy to tell the ones who are here to honestly know "how we think and how we got to this place" from the ones who are "on a mission to spread the gospel". I just joined, but if it turns into a place where even 40% of the dialogue becomes blasting other people for what they believe other than constructive arguments, no matter which side it comes from, I am outta here.

It's kind of annoying because they think somehow they are going to convert someone... the irony is they are more likely to wake up to a new reality than we are.

I'm agnostic about it 😉

There may be some joining on a mission to save some souls. As long they don't drag the argument with same old tired formulas I don't mind their spying.

I don't think they would want an atheist at their sight or their bible class . I don't need to defend my beliefs however if their questioning their own beliefs and they could see other points of view I don't see any harm in that .

I don't believe, that being said I do respect those who do. As for believers belonging to this site I don't understand why would they want to belong other than to try to save those who don't believe. Hence please stay away.

They should be discouraged. Their motive for joining has got to be highly suspect.

I would be suspicious of their intellectual authenticity. Many religions have a virus function which compels them to infect everyone with their beliefs.

sexual intercourse it. the more the merrier. things mostly happen because you-I-we let it or willed it.

If they are here to get a perspective... fine.

I don't think believers would find this helpful. Often, believers want to convert you to belief. Not all, but many think it's their mission in life. So, I say, no thanks.

Randy Level 2 Nov 29, 2017

Ehhhhhhh, it doesn't really matter to me. Since this is a site that exercises the freedom to discuss religion, and our lack thereof, it makes sense that we should welcome the Religious, too. The rules of the site outlaw attacking someone for their opposing views, so a little preach now and then is nothing, as long as they don't get out of hand. But at the same time, they know what they're getting into, y'know, joining AGNOSTIC.COM. So i'm sure they'll behave themselves, lol.

Any followers of any religion should not be allowed to join or view members on the site. It not only negates the point of having this site but exposes us to their historically deadly judgment, making it unsafe for all of us. Absolutely no religious people of any sect!!

It is absolutely ridiculous to allow "believers " to join. Surely their "god" gave them the first internet when he allegedly sent "tablets" down with messages for them.

I think it's ridiculous for them to join here. I don't go on christianmingle and try to convert them. I came here in part to get away from the ignorance of sheeple and to hopefully find someone with a similar life philosophy.

I hope this doesn't become common--I used to post extensively on Topix, but haven't for a while because of the toxic atmosphere caused mostly by Christian trolls. I'd leave here in a heartbeat for the same reason.

They should be free to join, but not if they are here to troll. I don't have a problem with that as it can spark debate and interesting conversations. We have had to do some form of study regarding religion to come to our conclusion, so maybe they feel they need to study the experience, opinions and life of non-believers to come to their own conclusions.

They are either trolls or they may be looking for a reason to walk away from their fairytale.

What somebody believes is not what offends me; it's how they treat people that matters. And you don't have to be a believer to be a jerk. Anyone can do it!

skado Level 9 Nov 26, 2017

It cannot be prevented but it can be controlled by the moderators. Taking the position of the devil's advocate is a way of broadening a discussion or debate but does not necessarily express the beliefs of the person taking that position. However, trolls are all over social media and they will find there way here, too.

So I hope the moderators who monitor the site are skilled in cutting off bots and identifying trolls. I will depend on them to identify those who have falsified their profiles or joined to drive divisive rhetoric and dogma with the intention of disrupting the intended purpose of the site.

If they join for the purpose of prophesying, then no. They have plenty of other venues.

I come here to get a break from a society that seems So Religious at times. Really don't need that here too.

What would be the point? I mean a drinker wouldn't go to an AA meeting? A bald headed man wouldn't go to a barber shop? Why would they join if not to just cause discord? Just my opinion.

Why would they want to? They want the conflict? To convert us? A non-believer fetish? I can't think of a valid reason for a believer to join a non-believer's community/dating website.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:291
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.