Agnostic.com

583 117

Fellow agnostics, how do you feel about believers joining?

This is likely contentious, but it needs to be asked. As this is a site "...promoting universal truths and peaceful life without religion" how do you feel about people of faith joining here?

I'm no shrinking violet and I don't need the sort of safe space that so many people believe they do now, but I also don't want to have to engage with people who have been inculcated into some form of unscientific, simple-minded view of the natural world.

I joined in the belief (cough) that this was an exclusive club where I could escape from these folk - but now I find they are joining - with a view to what, I don't know although my hackles are raised.

Not only is this sort of thing wasteful of resources, but if they are here to try to convert or preach at us, that's likely to result in a dissemination to all-out flame wars in a post or two.

I didn't think this was a site to convert people from one way of thinking to another (that sort of thing is nigh-on impossible by the time we're in our 20s anyway.)

I ask because I'm interested what my fellow angostic/athiests think.

I've noted that "theists" tend to butt in to these conversations with their ignorance and that's what I came here to avoid.

I'm getting too old to argue.

Draco 6 Sep 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

583 comments (151 - 175)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Here's the thing: If a "Theist" or even more importantly an "Evangelical" bring beliefs into this forum, here's my message to that person:

Put on your big girl or big boy pants when you come here. Don't cry, whine, bleed or worse - prosthelytize - on this forum. Put up or shut up. Make an intellectual case or keep your mouth shut. If you fee a need to claim victim status, you'll get the mental heat you deserve.

Frankly, I doubt that any believer would have the guts to enter a conversation where the playing field isn't tilted in their direction. As a whole, especially evangelicals are gutless wonders who stay in their sheep pens.

So, bottom line - there's not much chance anyone who has been skating along with a loose grip on rigorous intellectual discourse will even be interested in being here.

The delusional believers (redundant) do obsess over us Atheists and I DEMAND THEY CONDEMN their bibles which brands all of us Atheists as "fools" and "reprobates" on the pages of their genocidal misogynistic pro-violent abortion manuals....2nd Kings 15:16 Amos 1:13 Hosea 13:16 and 2nd Kings 8:12 ....: " RIP open the bellies of pregnant women...." ALL SAMARIAN women so violently aborted and their "virgin" sisters "kept alive for yourselves." Jehovah rewards his holy warriours with rape trophies

It's ok with me, but I am here to avoid religious dogma and it's pushers.

I agree. I didn't join this site to argue with people of different beliefs. I don't believe in excluding people but if theists join they need to understand that this is not a forum for them to promote their beliefs.

Yin needs Yang. What good is a seesaw with one participant? Our values are meaningless without an opposing view. I welcome them if their conversations are respectful. Quote: "Keep your friends close but keep your enemies closer" Machiavelli. 😉

my values - mostly on ethical grounds - stand for themselves, without needing opposition. urghhh, macchiavelli, the believer in ruling by fear of punishment...

@walklightly We can pick lines of philosophy from most of the great works. We don't have to like who wrote them. 😉

I'm in favor of letting anyone join, but I also favor booting out anyone who proselytizes.

No. I would leave. They've brought enough violence into my RL, I don't want to encounter it here and I don't want to have to tiptoe around their precious feelings as I have to do at work.

I don’t have issues with people having faith. In my opinion, religion is just a way to feel good about death and the afterlife.

Now, with that being said, I do have an issue with people that are too religious to the point of joining this site and trying to convert. But, I think the best way to handle them is to keep our emotions in check and report them without engaging them. Which is why I believe there was a “level” system that was placed. So that a new member can’t spam new accounts and keep on harassing members that don’t agree with their point of view.

In summary, don’t engage people that are obviously trying to push religion on you. Report their accounts and posts and let the admins handle it.

Leo716 Level 6 July 24, 2018

My feeling is that the religious minded person would not linger here...it is not geared toward the way their thinking has developed! On the other hand, there are among the religious people those that are skeptical and are ‘exploring!’ And the last, would be those hard core, almost mentally unstable people, that are bound to ‘infiltrate’ to show ‘those devil worshipers’ that they are going straight to ’hell!’ So if there is an individual plan in place to ‘traverse this landscape’ with these people...it will be fine!

I don't mind personally. I even find the staunch extremist atheists on this site a bit annoying. Militant believers on any side if the spectrum make my brain hurt. I came to this site to feel more freedom and to be able to talk to others openly. And if a theist wants to join and discuss things openly without being hateful, preachy and indignant... I say cool. It would be nice if all were welcome to join but with the respect for differences being the preference rather then attacking. I do not want to convert everyone to be exactly like me and I do not want others to actively try to convert me to be like them. I want to have open discussions with others without being targeted in some way.

Is this an anti theist site or a site for seeking something different.

DeiP Level 5 July 23, 2018

That is exactly why I joined too. I want to meet more people who I can speak freely too. I do not want to convert anyone just spread some knowledge and also read about other people knowledge. just from personal experience and knowledge that we have. I love reading what people have learned and experience.

I concur completely with your statement of staunch atheist on this site being annoying. Extremists of any group are annoying. And sadly, they are usually the ones that are the loudest.

They can’t convert me even they tried. That said I have no problem with them being on here as most of the religous people I know are better people than most of the flaming left wing liberal idiots on this website with the exception of the conservative atheist group.

If they come here to convert, proselytize, or push religious agenda upon the community then no. That's exactly what this community was designed to escape. The whole purpose, as I understand it, was to give the non-religious a place to discuss things, free of the imposed social pressure of a bunch of religious people clogging intellectual discourse and evidence-based reasoning with their religious anecdotes and unverifiable but irrefutable (to them) rhetoric as an attempt to use the intimidating and aggressive pressure of numbers and fervor to overwhelm the 'unbelievers.'

If they're here to learn, have intellectual discussions, and can keep their religious views to themselves or at least represent them respectfully then sure.

But on it's face, it's the first step on the slippery slope to becoming another Facebook, where every attempt at discourse is derailed by belligerent religious people in droves.

Maybe some are joining because they have doubts and would like to see how non-believers are... I don't have any problems with them joining as long as they are respectful.

I don't mind. They are likely curious, so I'm happy to stimulate that curiosity. If they are here to preach, then they'll have better luck getting the earth to rotate the opposite direction.

dokala Level 7 July 20, 2018

I don't mind as long as they don't try to preach or convert. The moment they start proselytizing, admins should kick them out. If they can keep their religion in their pockets, let them enjoy some civil conversation and lively debates. I see no harm in inclusivity, provided they respect us and our disinterest in religion.

If they are here to see how the other half lives, and to challenge their own believe to see if they hold up, then more power to them. But if they are here to proselytize in any manner, shape, or form, then rhey can get the f**k out of here and back to christian mingle or whatever ignorant rock they crawled out from under and leave us heathens to or unholy ways.

A men! Or several women.

I think that would defeat the purpose of this group. I don't need to be confronted by bible-thumpers whenever I express an opinion and I already weeded my other social media of them, for the same reason.

I would hope they were hear to gain knowledge. If they start preaching or condemning us I would have a problem but I’d just move on and continue with my life.

antman Level 7 July 17, 2018

I think its stupid, theres apps for believers. They're just muckin up the works

SuziQ Level 4 July 13, 2018

This is only place without Christianity slipping through the cracks. Would like to keep it that way. It would create drama, and I don't do drama.

I really could care less as long as they are not abusing. they are free to believe what they believe. that includes everyone not only the believers. whatever helps them stay on top of the water instead of sinking is okay. because not everyone can handle a lot of truth we all cope in our own way. everyone has their own way of coping with this crazy world. the part is calling anyone crazy, dellusional, etc... whatever words that our chosen for people who do not believe what you believe. in a way you think about it.. we are all believers of something. like some believe faithfully that there is no god or you believe faithfully in the god of science and science knows all. the list goes on. the whole point is if you treat people wrong you are no better than a horrifying judgmental "believers". you are going down that same road. In reality no one knows everything we are just still starting to understand this world. there is still a lot to be discovered and it is a endless argument of who is wrong or right.

yaya87 Level 5 July 13, 2018

They don't stay long just be glad of that .

Simon1 Level 7 July 13, 2018

haven't encountered one for a while 😀

Believers may be educated here; however, I so hope they do not try to educate us.

The only reason that a “believer” would join such a group is to Troll and be insulting. As an example would a Tea Party person join a Liberal group unless they planned to be disruptive? Same philosophy here, so I’m against it.

It depends what they believe in. If they believe in the nutritional value of chocolate cake I'm all for it, especially the practical application of ingesting said product. If they believe in some bloke on a stick who croaks it and then gets up and walks on the water, now that is just plain silly.

I vote for chocolate.

Lol if I had any such repulsions, I'd be kind of an authoritarian and an %sshole, so it doesn't bother me. People should not be abused because they have a certain stance on whether God exists or not. I have zero issues being in contact with these people, discussing religion, or explaining why they are incorrect. Dealing with them is just a correction game, at worst, and that's nothing.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:291
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.