Agnostic.com

583 117

Fellow agnostics, how do you feel about believers joining?

This is likely contentious, but it needs to be asked. As this is a site "...promoting universal truths and peaceful life without religion" how do you feel about people of faith joining here?

I'm no shrinking violet and I don't need the sort of safe space that so many people believe they do now, but I also don't want to have to engage with people who have been inculcated into some form of unscientific, simple-minded view of the natural world.

I joined in the belief (cough) that this was an exclusive club where I could escape from these folk - but now I find they are joining - with a view to what, I don't know although my hackles are raised.

Not only is this sort of thing wasteful of resources, but if they are here to try to convert or preach at us, that's likely to result in a dissemination to all-out flame wars in a post or two.

I didn't think this was a site to convert people from one way of thinking to another (that sort of thing is nigh-on impossible by the time we're in our 20s anyway.)

I ask because I'm interested what my fellow angostic/athiests think.

I've noted that "theists" tend to butt in to these conversations with their ignorance and that's what I came here to avoid.

I'm getting too old to argue.

Draco 6 Sep 25

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

583 comments (426 - 450)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Inteligent people of any persuasion should not be excluded.

lecoq Level 4 Dec 19, 2017

Makes for better debate.

I'd not belong to this site if it had anyone other than a non believer. I've been preached to all my life and don't want to hear it anymore. Besides, what's the point. They believe what they believe and I'm trying to come to terms with being agnostic. Why would they help in any way. I want to feel comfortable. I have friends who believe and we never talk religion. IMHO

Fine with me as long as they don't crap on the rug while they're here.

We only want house-trained delusionals joining!

I'd rather it were kept believer free, believers have plenty of groups and forums to themselves, let's have something for us.
There's forums out there for debating and arguing.

Bring 'em on. If they are prepared to engage in reasoned and polite debate then I would like to meet them.

I have no issues with it..maybe they can come to their senses....and actually maybe we can get them to at least start questioning why they believe.

Are you not a 'Believer' by holding to your own pseudo relgious beliefs? In my mind by holding yourself up as the 'Anti- Religionyou are identifying yourself as a Religion. And finally are you not as guilty as religions when you hold yoursef up to the same exclusivity that you rail against in religions?

Ruadh Level 3 Dec 17, 2017

Hi - is this one of those "believers" you were talking about? Found one! Found one! LMAO

Welcome believers! They need to hear the truth, the facts, learn that most are realists, not believing myths and legends. We need to get the truth out there and work to do away with the BS of religion. Peace.

I have no problem with it.

Specifically, i don't have a problem as long as they don't start preaching to me, or telling me that I'm gonna go to Hell because i "have doubts"..as i said, i am AGNOSTIC,and by that i am saying that i just don't have the answer to whether there is a God or not because of no definitive proof, but i am not Atheist for same reason, i have no proof there ISN'T, either, but i don't go along with organized religion.

I have no problem with believers joining. I'm a believer too, as long as they don't try to preach their faith to us

haslr Level 3 Dec 15, 2017

I haven problem with believers joining. I'm a believer tools long as they don't try to preach their faith to us

haslr Level 3 Dec 15, 2017

Maybe @admin could code in a block theist option, but I prefer an open community...and I enjoy arguing with them.

Judging from the wording about this site, I tend to agree with CatByrd's reply. This site is not really about being an open debate site. It's more about meeting those if like minds and enjoying interesting conversation and sharing of ideas. There are plenty of sites that are set up just for the debatng of the differences in beliefs and ideologies. But being very new o this site I may not have a good idea as to what mist on here are here for. Just putting in my 2 cents.

I hope many will join and be freed from the yoke of a religion they were brainwashed into believing. If, however they find more comfort in their beliefs, I wish them well with their imaginary friend

I don't see why they would bother. What would they find for them? It wouldn't bother me as long as they don't go around posting hateful comments or trolling people. If they simply want to learn and grow I feel that a non dating type of site would be better.

Damn dude you need to chill I'm just here for a good time

Yeah, I suspect that'd be a recipe for a lot of close minded meanness... might be best to keep that on fb...

Fuck 'em. If they want to join, fine. If they don't like what they hear, they can go away. If they post religious drivel, the admins can ban them. Simple.

if they came to learn...but no doubt they would come to argue

I must have this uncommon sense in this over ego world. Why not respect everyone and be open minded.

Why not allow the 85precent of your fellow man(Religious) on this site for discussion?. Not for an argument that is an angry discussion. You set the rules for a change.

Atheist forum have their largest categories topics (by far)on Religion. They have alot of fun mentality torturing their religious guests and many do change their way of thinking.

Don't be a bigot, this site complains alot about Religion, who likes a complainer. Take action and educate your reasoning.

As long as they are civil, no problem. Jerks of any persuasion ruin conversation.

Personally, I think any believers who would want to join this site would most likely want to argue their "case". I don't need a "safe space" either, but I really don't want to be bombarded with "arguments" why my lack of delusional beliefs makes me "less than". I can get that just about anywhere. Was hoping to avoid it here.

If a believer comes in to have a discussion because he or she is interested in an honest exchange - which can ONLY mean they are in a possible crisis of their faith, then I think that can be productive... as long as WE don't disrespect their "clinging to hope that atheism is wrong". Many of us have had to plead and beg for years before we realized no "god" was listening.

However, the above, I feel, is HIGHLY unlikely. Therefore I think that any believer that comes on here is looking to crap in our pool.

On the other hand, as you said, Draco, if that happened, the flame-outs would be quick, and if the offender remained, he'd be blocked.

Bottom line.... this is like hanging out at a cafe. Whoever walks in should read the menu before they come in and sit.

I don't know, some people on here were talking about mother nature being a God, sounds fairly ignorant to me. If people of other beliefs are joining we should just give them space, ignore them, or maybe listen to some of the things they have to say.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:291
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.