Agnostic.com

806 60

How do you tell religious people that you're an atheist?

I live in America and am surrounded by Christians.
Whenever I talk about myself to religous people, I want to say ,"I am an atheist". Do you say that? Is there a better way?

Bingogwak 6 Sep 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

806 comments (726 - 750)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Generally, the brainwashed have a hard time with anyone who does not share their delusion and will most likely become offended regardless. If I know the person I try to be courteous but any stranger knocking at my door is told that I'm an adult in the 21st century and have no reason to believe in any superstitious nonsense.

I say I don't know what is true and until then I wonder. That is what I say.

I tell them I'm not a religious person, and tell them why.

At some point the conversation gets to some mention of heaven or god or something along those lines and I say that we should be talking about things that are real and not imaginary.

I keep my mouth shut, until they start to talk about their faith. Then as far as I am concerned it is OK to go into great detail why there is no god and their belief is a delusion.

I've never had to tell a religious person that I don't believe in a God. For example, if I'm at their house for dinner and they say a prayer over the meal, I just bow my head and let them have their ceremony. No problem for me, no threat to me,

I don't believe in numble-jumble nonsense. That usually shut them up, hahaha!

I try not to. If I have to, I just tell them that I'm not religious. It prevents pointless argument.

When a conversation turns religious I most always say that I am an atheist. That almost always ends the subject and the conversation turns to another subject.

all of my wife's family are very religious so I pretty much keep it to myself, if any one were to ask I would not deny it though

if asked i say i am an atheist
but i don't go round shouting about it
i don't like the godsquads preaching at me so why would i do it
if you have a mind decide for yourself

When a conversation turns to this subject, I always just say that I am a devout atheist, and the subject usually gets abruptly changed.

I just let them know if they bring up religion.

Whenever it seems appropriate or necessary, I tell people simply that I am an atheist. If they want to pursue that for whatever reason, I will engage them. I am who I am and if other folks can't deal with it, it's not my problem.

Unless it comes up, I don't. Have been known to hedge by saying "I;m not Christian". Being braver now and just saying "atheist" if they're trying to push a religious identity on me.

It's dangerous in my country to say that 😟

That is sad, stay safe!

I'm straight forward about me being atheist but I don't bring up religion, unless someone else starts it. I'm respectful about it and will talk about it, but I do tell tell them if they ask me.

That kind of depends how the subject comes up. If we seem to be hitting things off and I think they should know where I stand, I just calmly tell them my stance on belief and hope for the best. If they're constantly talking about their religious views, or start off with religious rhetoric from the moment we meet, then I'll just tell them right out that I don't believe in any of it, and as long as they don't push it on me, we're cool, but if they do, I'm out.

You could say "I am not a church goer," or " I am not a believer."

I generally don't bring it up unless it's germane to the conversation. When I do, I usually say I am "non-religious" or "not a believer." I don't hide my unbelief or pretend to agree with them, but I live in the American South and the "A" word is sometimes taken as a personal challenge. I don't care to challenge or confront people who are not challenging me. But it's different if someone is intrusively trying to proselytize.

So glad I live in a place where it's really not an issue and I'm not having this garbage shoved down my throat daily. On the occasional visit from Jehovah's witnesses, I tell them to beat it.

If it comes up in conversation, I'll come right out with it. I'm not afraid to step on some toes and hurt some feelings. But I don't go around telling people that I am.

I say I’m agnostic, it softens it a bit.

When appropriate I will simply say that I do not believe in the supernatural. If asked to explain I say that when confronted with the unknown I do not automatically attribute it to some supernatural being.

i don't bring it up unless im asked or it needs to be brought up, in my experience most of the time it doesn't really matter

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:121
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.