Agnostic.com

806 60

How do you tell religious people that you're an atheist?

I live in America and am surrounded by Christians.
Whenever I talk about myself to religous people, I want to say ,"I am an atheist". Do you say that? Is there a better way?

Bingogwak 6 Sep 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

806 comments (251 - 275)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

They ask what church I go to and I say "I don't".. Done

My mom always taught me it's not the best idea to open with religion, politics, , or sex. if these people know you and are true friends they'll respect what you believe just as much as you respect their beliefs. Be atheist, or whatever you want to be, and proud teach others why you believe what you believe like they teach what they believe. Everything is a two way conversation and in the end you don't need to agree on everything.

As soon as any conversation turns to "god" etc , I just say, "I'm an atheist" and I usually find that most people are too, so it's pretty easy. I live in British Columbia Canada, and apparently most people here are non religious, so I guess I'm really not that brave LOL

Your fortunate to live somewhere with so many atheist. Here in western Oklahoma where I live I doubt 1% of the population is an open atheist. I’m sure there are quite a few closet atheist, maybe as many as 20%. The religous right is so powerful here most just don’t want to cross them.

I’ll tell you what absolutely floors me though. I am a hairstylist with a large clientele, most of whom I’ve become close to over the years, so naturally I have some religious clients, and naturally the topic of religion has come up. There have been people I’ve told that I’m atheist, only to have them tell me “No you’re not! You just think you are!” I just laugh at them and assure them that I am, and they tell me they’ll pray for me. I just look at them and say “if you like, it can’t hurt”. It seems to satisfy them, and they don’t usually bring religion into our time together very much after that!

Shade Level 5 Aug 7, 2018

I usually say I am a heathen. I like the reaction to that!

That is my brother-in-law's response. He says that he is a "heathen savage".

My best friend's husband, who is an atheist, called his brother a "godless heathen" at the church the day before their wedding. The look on his Baptist future grandmother-in-law's face was priceless.

I don’t unless asked and the I proudly say I’m atheist.

It largely depends on context. If I'm at work or around strangers, I try to avoid politics and religion. But sometimes that doesn't work and I have to go through this gross line of question and answer about how no, just because I'm not Christian doesn't mean I'm a Devil worshipper OR a Satanist and yes there's a difference. Yes, I am open to the idea of some controlling force of the universe, but I am not so narcissistic as to try to name it, categorize it, and certainly not to assume to know its form or if it even has a gender. No my lack of religion does not mean I'm not a moral or ethical person. If pressed, I'll extend as far as calling myself an agnostic deist. I generally refer to it simply as 'the Universe.'

I live in an area where I frequently hear, "Have a blessed day!" to which I reply, "Thanks, but I'd rather just have a great one!". I figure if they can tell me their BS, I should be able to throw it back at them!

R. Allan Worrell

Alw314 Level 5 June 22, 2018

I hear that crap daily. I also say, "Happy Holidays," to which they angrily yell "Merry Christmas!" I respond with, "I am a member of the Church of the Poisoned Mind and we don't do christmas." They are stunned into sweet, beautiful SILENCE.

I've been responding "No, thank you", but I've been considering moving on to "May the Force be with you" and "Praise be to Satan".

I say that I'm not religious. If they seem open minded I'll say that I'm Atheist. I prefer for people to get to know me before I throw a label on myself.

I don't tell people my beliefs, I just ask them questions about theirs. The longer they explain, the more they begin to question them. I sure question mine!

I normally just say I have no beliefs. I rely on evidence, not blind acceptance (faith).

@Agamic I don't want to offend anyone. It doesn't matter to me whether they believe in anything, it's their business. When people believe something against any evidence - that God exists, that Jerry Sandusky didn't abuse boys, that Trump is a good President, I just don't engage, knowing I'll never change their mind. That's why it's called a belief and not a fact.

@Marika
I rarely get any response to my response.
If they're truly curious as to why I don't believe, I've opened a door.
It's rare but has happened.
But I DO understand your position. I avoid such people on Twitter as they DO tend to be wilfully ignorant and unreachable (as well as unteachable).

I eat a baby in front of them. 😉

I simply challenge whatever they say politely - they soon get the picture.

I find most people treat me like I have a flu or something when I tell them I don't believe in any God.

keep sneezing on them LOL

I rarely have to say it outright. I'm openly tolerant of gay people, liberal, in my 20's and enjoy talking about topics that do not support a biblical world view (evolutionary biology, anthropology, psychology, religious history, normative ethics, ect). Pretty much everyone I've meet in the last few years have been able to figure it out themselves without a direct announcement.

Honest, I try not to discuss religion with religious people. I don't back off if they instigate the conversation but many times I cut them off or change the subject. It is becassue to me it is irrational and not worth it to argue against irrational views. As long as they don't interfere with my freedoms let them have their faith, after all it isn't a perfect world and years of experience teaches you you aren't going to change them. If change comes it will be on their terms within them...or not.

Unfortunately most times you don't say anything.

I don't , what good would it do them or me its my business and as unimportant to me as anything could possibly be - An absence of soemthing is hardly newsworthy. If you are trying to stop peopel talking to you about religious stuff just have an imaginary errand to urgently run plus - I'll get back to you on that !I have been practising getting away from awkward conversations forever - My partner is from N.I and people always want to know if hes protetan tor catholic he says "Now if I told oyu that you 'd know everything about me wouldnt you? And they do shut up .

I don't. As far as I'm concerned that's my business. My family knows. I don't have any friends, just acquaintances and co-workers. It's not a subject that I feel compelled to discuss.

I don't unless they can tell me why they want to know its extremely unimportant to me . I 'd rather they asked me my name first -

I never have to it isnt anyone elses business - I have a friend and in Northern Ireland there is a big Protestant Catholic divide - people when I first came here used to ask my partner 3 questions - whats your father name,? what school did you go to ?,where are you living?, if you answered they would know which side you were on - he is atheist - but always said "Sure and if I told you that, you'd know everything about me wouldnt you?

People ask me if I believe in God, and I respond, "God who?"

Good topic. In personal relationships I think it is best to be upfront. Let them know know how you feel and show them it makes little difference in your life. It is also best to find out if it will be an issue in the future. In business it is not their business. If asked tell them you will forgive them asking if they will forgive you for not answering.

I typically say I do not believe in magic, any invisible father or mother in the sky or anything supernatural.

Wait to be asked and then just make it as a passing comment, "I'm an atheist and you are?... oh how's that working out for you? mmmmm? Yes atheist, but lets not alk about me, I'm much more interested in you...."

When I was experimenting with Islam when I was younger a Christian woman called me an atheist because I didn't believe exactly in what she believes in. Christian folks ultimately believe in whatever the hell they like so it doesn't really serve any purpose to go back and worth with some who's mind is already mad up and won't accept any evidence.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:121
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.