Agnostic.com

806 60

How do you tell religious people that you're an atheist?

I live in America and am surrounded by Christians.
Whenever I talk about myself to religous people, I want to say ,"I am an atheist". Do you say that? Is there a better way?

Bingogwak 6 Sep 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

806 comments (301 - 325)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Honestly, I think it depends on the setting, if it’s a stranger or a loved one, & if you’re in a situation where you could lose your job or something like that. If everything is in the right circumstance, sure! But if you could risk an important relationship or a job opportunity, I’d say no. But if you’re comfortable saying it, I would try to make it not sound like an attack. But don’t sound ashamed either. Make it sound like you’re talking about the weather. Their reaction is less likely to be over the top if you do it that way. & if they don’t like it, well. That sucks for them. You deserve to be happy, your lack of conviction of whether a god exists shouldn’t be a precursor to that.

I usually don't, it isn't any of their business.

When I tell anyone I am an atheist they argue with me. Try to convert me to their views. It's not going to happen. I have been thru too many religions on my search. Been baptised 3 times, in three different religions. It is impossible to believe their dogma.

I usually don't find it necessary to bring it up.

When people start talking about their religion, I simply say "I don't believe in God" and walk away. I don't like debating with religious people, especially in groups because there's power in numbers, so I walk away.

I have a similar thing over being gay and transgender. I want it to be 'out there.' I don't especally need it to be a regular topic of conversation, I just don't want to feel like I'm hiding it.

My solution is wristbands. I wear them pretty much 24/7/365. One for Pride, and one for Sparkle (basically a UK transgender pride.)

There is an atheist symbol. There are various jewellery items available that display it. My recommendation would be to get one of those and wear it the way a Christian might wear a crucifix.

[amazon.co.uk]

When I want to go soft on them I say
"I am not religious"

Otherwise I just say I'm agnostic.

In real life you only discuss religion and politics if such a discussion is invited, and you're still free to opt out. In a quarter century outside of theism the topic has only arisen twice. Once one of my surviving older brothers asked if I no longer believed in god. I responded that I do not. He said that's too bad, and never brought it up again. The second time is when I was introduced to a new circle of guy friends where there was already an "outed" atheist, they sensed the same mindset in me and asked if I was atheist and said yes. I was accepted into the group anyway.

So in everyday life I don't meet theists or atheists, I meet neighbors, acquaintances, colleagues, and the like.

Online is a different story. People come to places like this specifically AS atheists, agnostics or whatever, often for the specific purpose of discussing and debating these matters. Special case.

I don't. I stress that I'm an agnostic. It works for me.

Up front. Usually in the first or second conversation. If they don't understand or respect me then fuck them

I only tell good friends that I trust. On occasion, if a group is trying to convert me at my doorstep, I will say I am an atheist, it seems to make them scatter. I have had a couple bad experiences with bullying when I have had people try to pull out of me my belief system, I keep quiet about it in real life.

I had a missionary ask me if I had heard the good news. I just told him I was a philosophy major. Then he walked away. So I guess that works?

It they ask ... I just tell them . Most people couldn't care less, if they do care or are ' offended' in some way , I don't care anyway .

I never bring it up. If I'm asked about my religious beliefs, which rarely happens, I tell the truth. I'm an Atheist. Theists are usually curious but so far have not been judgmental.

One method is simply asking: you believe in jesus what was the reason that convinced you of jesus?
Generally once you ask this question they have an idea you don't really believe.

Only way to find out is, suck it and see, make it a learning exercise, research, that way you won't be quite so thrown when you get a load of nutterguff back. I only tell these days if I am asked and if I have an imaginary bullet proof vest on because it is absolutely of no consequence to me, what I am not. I don't really see why its of consequence to anyone else - I'd love to just answer completely off key and wacky like 'yes I do always wear white knickers'

Sexual pecadillos between adults are are none of my business, nor IMO anyone else! The 2 women you mention, history I have Never heard that version before, and who was fired, exactly, for "ordering her to the motel "????!
Plus they seem to both have made aplenty of money both during and since then. And I say this as one who absolutely believed Anita Hill from the get-go.

Sexual predator William Jefferson Bleigh alias Clinton is my business. ...my daughter is Monica Lewinsky age now 42 and no woman age 23 should be performing fellatio in the Oval Office nor suffer a cigar thrusting into her vagina by the President of the United States

I just tell them that I am not a Christian. Strangers have no right to know what I believe but if I am put in a situation where I must discuss, I am honest. They either walk away or they don't.

I don't. I listen to what they have to say and smile. Never do I agree with them or even try to get into a discussion about my beliefs or the lack thereof. It is a personal choice and frankly, none of their business. I'm not ashamed of being agnostic nor do I go around trying to convert or change peoples minds. Live and let live...to each his own...etc.

To their face. If they don't like it, they can go back to the Garden of Eden.

Hey xians, go back to Bethlehem where you belong

I live in the South. Only if they ask "do you believe in God" I tell them "no" and let them deal with it.

I just say I don't think we have much common ground, or at a push I'm a fallen Catholic lol

I fervently wish to go back just 20 years where people kept their business, political or religious, to themselves!

1998 my mom @ age 84 was telling Monica blow job and semen stained dress jokes from the OVAL OFFICE. ...the politics of Billary is never separated from McCarthyism running 70 years now and Red Baiting labor unions for 100 years............... the word Atheism is 2700 years running as the first Greek sailor just kept walking on by temple prostitutes keeping to his destination. ..."Atheos Atheos take your gawds AND SHOVE IT"

@GreenAtheist yes, the scandal pretty much opened Pandora's box. And I still say what a middle aged man ges tup to with another adult (because middle-aged men Never go nuts) is/was none of anybody's beeswax!

@AnneWimsey I agree what Billary won't do what Monica would do in that little open disgusting triangle SHOULD not be national discourse but eyewitnesses from Georgetown Law School to violated widows volunteering in the White House = 27 years a series of sexual predator crimes worse than Harvey Weinstein ....Paula Jones was a 100% victim working for the Arkansas Highway Department ORDERED to Clinton hotel room during a statewide government conference of government employees and his only 2 words to her were: " suck it " with her eyes presented with his open zipper and crooked erect penis in full view. ....and she ran out of the room ....fearing for her job she filed a lawsuit that took 7 years to reach the US Supreme Court. ....Billary should have divorced slick Willie when the Governor was screwing Jennifer Flowers TV anchor in the governors office while Chelsea and Billary were playing outside on the state mansion lawn

@GreenAtheist So, who in the the highway department ordered her to his room? Because of course they would be named in any lawsuit! Consenting adults, one of whom has made a ton of money & a nice career from her " kiss & tell". Unlike a Real victim such as Anita Hill!

@AnneWimsey Clinton himself ordered Paula Jones into the Governor Suite. ....once the US Sup Ct ruled 9-0 a sitting President could be dragged back to Arkansas to testify before the Grand Jury the prosecutor also asked Clinton about "that woman, MS Lewinsky" and slick Willie lied: " I DID NOT HAVE SEX with that woman, MS Lewinsky" he further elaborated the statutory meaning of sex " IS " when his answer was pure dishonesty : " that depends upon what the meaning of WHAT IS, IS"....HE LOST HIS LAW LICENSE IN 1999 FOR 10 YEARS as punishment for perjury before the Grand Jury

@AnneWimsey Monica turned down the Revlon job in 1998 and made purses for a living ever since. ...she was not a consenting adult she was a co-conspirator to unauthorized entry to the White House her co-criminal is Clinton himself lewd and lacivious conduct in a public building while Anita Hill was harassed against her will with Thomas public hair on her Coke can. ....the headline in the newspaper today is: 95% of Hollywood women report harassment or worse in movie industry. ...this social crime must never be excused as "peccadillos"

@GreenAtheist Monica herself, aged 25, Never alleged any force or coercion...where is that idea coming from?

@AnneWimsey the ultimate illegal quid pro quo for illegal sexual favors is between a "intern" and a lawyer President. ...boy Bush has a lower standard because he is not a lawyer demanding sexual favors as TX Governor or POTUS. ...Bill Cosby is innocent compared to the 45 years of lawyer Clinton violation of sexual harassment laws

I found that it is enogh just to say..... I do not go to church!..... It says everything.... and I do not have a NEED to explain myself any further

If they assume that I'm a believer, I will correct them, but I don't lead with "I'm an atheist!" before it comes up naturally. I won't participate in religious observations like prayer - and here in the Bible Belt, prayer happens with some regularity at many businesses and otherwise secular organizations.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:121
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.