Agnostic.com

806 60

How do you tell religious people that you're an atheist?

I live in America and am surrounded by Christians.
Whenever I talk about myself to religous people, I want to say ,"I am an atheist". Do you say that? Is there a better way?

Bingogwak 6 Sep 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

806 comments (76 - 100)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I don't go around and announce it to everyone but if it comes up and they ask me, I'll be honest.

Yes, I explain that I was raised by hippies and religion was never part of my life. And that I've never needed it. Then I tell them that when I studied History of Religion in college, I was most likely to become a Buddhist. It shuts them up pretty quick.

Nina Level 4 Dec 12, 2017

Buddhist baby! The only things that makes any sense to me.

Sometimes I say I am a Taoist, which is for me an acceptable guide for living.

I simply tell them I'm not religious politely, if they try to push it I inform them I think adults having imaginary friends need serious professional help

By saying the word A..THE...IST.... VERY slowly!

I am up front and let them know my position early in conversations... I work with staff and clients who come from many religious positions ... so my approach to remain authentic to my self is to say "I am a person of no faith... but respect your choice to choose what you believe in. I have thought about using the word "Atheist" but find 'a person with no "faith" softer and less confrontational as I work in a health context.. ?

I am a bit more confrontational. If asked on the street - so to speak- and not in the mood for a long discussion, I begin by clarifying what (faith) (belief without evidence) is and continue that because faith is a dishonest path to determine truth, (The things Christens claim faith can reveal), and that I actually value truth and dislike dishonesty, I place no value on faith. . . etc. .

I just say it or that I do not believe in a supernatural magical being in the sky that I have to have blind faith in BEFORE it will help me out here on earth. All the religions I have practiced, including a sect of buddhaism, insist I have blind faith & belief before the "god" or "universe" shows benefit in my life. Bunch of hooey.

I will parrot it back to them by asking, "So, what You're saying is, If I 'just believe it',....then, I'll 'believe it'-?"

I've managed to say that openly only in America, I had to pretend I was christian in Greece so i wouldn't get deported. I live in N.Y. now so it's not that big a deal but even when I lived inn Oklahoma I still said I was an atheist to my x boyfriends family that his dad was a Baptist pastor. His father said nothing but his mother tried to justify my xs' behavior by bringing me some books about why we love men that hurt us and it was basically justified by the bible or some other crap like that, I didn't bother reading it. But here in theUSA I've had an easier time just saying hey I'm an atheist I respect your right to believe just don't shove it down my throat thank you

Wow, I didn't know that people would get deported if they admit to being Atheist. Even if you're visiting?

No that was back in 1990 when the government fell apart in Albania and Greeks wanted to bring the minorities in to supposedly help them but if you were to have a non christian name or be an atheist or generally non orthodox they'd find a way to deport you. Now things are considerably different but still very difficult to get your papers. For example I still have family that are trying to get their papers after 25 years there with their children born there that they've legally changed their names to be christian sounding including their last names leaving nothing of their former selves to be recognized by fighting for their rights. It used to be worst but it's still pretty bad. As about visiting, as long as you have money to spend you're fine: ) just don't get into any discussion about Macedonia lol

Wow, thank you for that information! I learn something new every day.

I don't. There is no point in explaining my point of view to a Christian, they will be unable to understand it. I steer clear of them typically, but if I do have to deal with one, I smile, nod, and leave as quickly as possible.

When asked which religion I practice I say "None, I am an Atheist."

I just say it straight up; if asked if I go to church, my answer is "no, I'm an atheist". I live in Canada and don't fear getting fired or being persecuted by the religious right wing.

It depends on the situation. Do you just want them to know? Are they pushing their voodoo on you? I have no qualms telling anybody who I am, it just depends on the context of the conversation and your goal.

Coming from a very Catholic Italian family I think I first realized I was and atheist at the age of 12. In my mind’s eye I always felt wrong but new I was right. Crazy!!! It is what gays have had to deal with their entire lives. I had to many questions and all the answer I received didn’t make sense. To be trite, more fake news.
I am out, and I love it. I am proud to be an atheist and I love that too. If Christian can knock on my door to spread their veil form of love, then I can certainty tell them I don’t buy it. I am not aggressive I just ask them questions. I have stopped hiding in the shadows like a criminal. Just say and own it. It feels great. Freedom at last.

What do you respond with when someone ends the conversation with "Have a blessed day"? For some reason I find this extremely offensive. It's their way of getting the last jab in.

That hits me like scrapping a nail on a blackboard. I don't know why that bothers me so much.

Same reply I give when people say they will pray for me.."Will you sacrifice a goat as well? That actually works you know."

Oh my gosh! I'm glad I'm not the only one. It depends on the context. I have seen people say that and mean with great sincerity that they want you to have a wonderful day/life/etc. I say, "You too!" to those people. To those who say it as a badge of honor (Chick Fil-A...I'm talking to you!), I say, "What an offensive thing to say!" and walk off. LOL.

Or when someone tells you bless you when you sneeze...

I say it straight out. I was taught as a child how evil atheists were. I spent too many years intimidated by my abusive evangelical mother and now that I have a TBI...It's almost a physical problem for me to lie. In response to say nope I'm an atheist, I've been told I'm the nicest atheist one guy has ever met! One woman told me..."But you look like such a nice person" Most people that I tell don't spend much time debating me because I'm pretty clear that I think religion is cruel and abusive to children.
I feel like I'm part of the beginning of humanity letting it go. In whatever small way we really are making a difference by spreading knowledge and talking to others. I feel its my duty to be honest for the sake of the world my children and grandchildren have to live in.

I remember seeing an atheist on tv when I was a little girl. I asked my mom what an atheist was and she got all upset..teared up, almost shaking from emotion and said, "They're TERRIBLE PEOPLE who don't believe in god!!!" It's funny because I think my mom could almost be called agnostic now. LOL.

If you were on stage, I would stand and applaud. Although the church I was forced to attend when young didn't acknowledge atheists, In school it was common knowledge that atheists gathered in cemeteries to sacrifice dogs to the devil. I have witnessed much destruction to the minds of youth including a lovely young woman who, according to her suicide note that her friends found, "I have killed myself so I can live forever with my dead father and Jesus in heaven" - - - there are many other stories. . . I fully share your sentiment.

Since when being an atheist is alike to coming out of the closet like we are homosexual (which isn’t problematic either). We don’t even have to state it. Religious people would naturally feel uncomfortable if we discuss in detail their actual beliefs. They should be the one “coming out” and apologizing for their nonsense.

I just tell them, I do not believe god exist.

tonia Level 5 Sep 25, 2017

I was indoctrinated very young by a fundamental Pentecostal mother. In her defense she was doing what she thought she must to keep me from hell. Everything revolved directly around Christianity and god. Even as far as praying for a flat tire on a vehicle, that obviously never worked. I read the Bible attempting to get closer to god in my 20s. As Asimov said, reading the Bible was the fastest and possibly the only way I was able to become an atheist. It was the late 90s or so. My conversion was difficult, saddening and scary. Since then I've read it a couple more times and have studied the history of Christianity, the different Bible origins, council of nicea etc.
Long story to say I was nervous in the beginning about claiming to be an atheist. I was literally taught from birth that "there are none that do good". 20 years and a mountain of knowledge later and I'm very proud I was able to free myself from such deep indoctrination, and I did it alone, surrounded by Christiana trying to keep me in the fold. Today I can honestly say I've never met a Christian that knows the Bible as well as I. You really can't and maintain belief.Many of my friends and family tried years ago to proselytize to me. Now they barely utter a bless you after a sneeze around me. Nobody wants to pull my string and get me started.?.

I wear t-shirts with Athiest logo, science fiction etc. Then you start seeing true colors from people. I also wear t-shirt which says 'Science doesn't give a shit in what you believe in' and few other t-shirts like those. If someone comes to me asking me if I am an atheist, my job becomes simple and I just have to say 'Yes'. But theists mostly won't ask you if you are 'atheist' normally. It's for me normally an atheist or agnostic person who will easily find that I am an atheist. ?

I'm a religiously unaffiliated secular humanist free thinking skeptic.....by the time they unpack all that.....I'm already gone.

I like that approach.

I don't. If it comes up, then I tell them. I usually say that I don't believe in god. This time of year, I say, I don't celebrate the holidays.

I’m a private person and have never felt the urge nor the need to tell anyone that I’m atheist. Obviously, others feel differently. But I’ve never understood why people feel the need either. Is it in hopes of a debate or an argument? In that case, well, I refuse to argue with anybody about anything. At my age I have nothing to prove and am perfectly content with the size of my penis. Many people are much smarter than I am and I readily concede that. So, what else is there? Change a believer’s mind? Please.....

Well said!

It depends on why I'm telling them... my religious affiliation or lack there of doesn't define me to the point that I feel I need to tell everyone but by the same token if I do decide to let them know I just say it as casually as they say "I'm a Christian." That's cool, it isn't how I feel but if your religion gives you peace and you're not shoving it down my throat to each their own.

I am an atheist?

Atheist is a loaded word these days. If you are ready to educate people what the word actually means, go for it. If you're not in the mood for a fight say 'skeptic'. Less negative craziness attached to that word.

If you're not comfortable just stating it categorically, approach it euphamistically. Rather than say "I'm an atheist, beotch!" say something like "I've returned my faith in God for a reality refund."

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:121
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.