Agnostic.com

806 60

How do you tell religious people that you're an atheist?

I live in America and am surrounded by Christians.
Whenever I talk about myself to religous people, I want to say ,"I am an atheist". Do you say that? Is there a better way?

Bingogwak 6 Sep 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

806 comments (526 - 550)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I generally don't unless I am specifically asked. Just a few days ago I was at my father's funeral. My father was very catholic and was a VIP in both the church and in the Knights of Columbus. The funeral was at the church that I used to attend when I was still a minor and church attendance was not my choice. The KofC was very helpful with the funeral arrangements and even paid for some of it, so I am very grateful to them for the respect and love that they gave to him and his family. But when some suggested that I join the Knights, my response was simply, "I don't do Catholic anymore." Fortunately I was not pressed beyond that. I think a lot of the people there would be very disappointed to know just how not catholic I am.

Dude look what they've done to the world. Do they deserve your respect. Have they once ever made sure to not offend your opinion? I already know the answer to that I have dealt with these wackos all my life and it is coming to a truly crucial moment in our society.

. Will we continue with the ways of old or lay down the bondage that religion has put on us and by doing so rid the world of the Perpetual proletariat or the caste system or whatever you want to call it but this will bring about Global Communications and Global power distribution and Global Food Distribution and only at that point can we judge ourselves a successful species. As of now any scientists would look at the assemble data concerning our speeches and deem it a failure. We are simply running out of time to be polite. You should show Christians the same respect that you would show any form of life and that is your duty. And you should never be violent even when they turn to violence. But modify your speech to protect their feeble completely unsought about opinion? Hell no and pardon my odd adjectives

I live in England, most people I know are atheists. You're extremely unlikely to be asked about religion, and the relatively few theists I do know aren't of the raving swivel eyed bible bashing kind, and we get on just famously agreeing to disagree.

Aubz Level 2 June 25, 2018

The first thing to ask yourself is would you have a problem if they told you they are Christian? Obviously, I assume not. As they have no problem stating they are Christian; you should have no problem stating you are an atheist. There is no right way to say something, If they have an issue of just a simple difference, then that's on them, and not you.

Your reasoning is near perfect only quit mis-labeling Atheists as adjectives. ...we are upper case Nouns. ...we Atheists free of the disease of theism. ...I, like you NEVER assume a stranger is a believer or an Atheist. ...an xian often wear crosses shaped like an x. ...I often wear my American Atheists "orbit" carbon atom symbol

I personally use the term secular humanist, because there's more substance than just saying you're an atheist. Unfortunately I got utterly rejected just this Wednesday. Nothing tells me I'm back in America like being rejected over religious ideals (I lived in Japan for 3½ years and had no problem with me being an atheist)

People close to me who matter already know. The rare occasion where the subject may arise I don't offer explaination, or I may disclose being an atheist, but only to those I percieve as understanding the deffinition.

I prefer to tell them as soon as it's brought up. I tell them that I am not here to tell anyone they are wrong and I expect the same. I try to be open minded and thoughtful. I feel that being honest about my beliefs and my views saves headaches later on.

I heard a good quote today from Lawrence Krauss. He quoted someone in the WSJ who said, "I try and keep an open mind, but not so open that my brain falls out!" I think that's fun!

R. Allan Worrell

Only when i was asked i told them that i am an atheist. i think you can say that too if you desire. there is no must . There is no a perfect saying too. i think it is alright to say that you are an atheist if asked.

I ran into this problem recently with a couple of new friends who are Christians that asked me where I went to church. They had been around me enough to see me as a "good" person and just assumed that I was religious. I decided not to use the word atheist, but instead chose to say that I was an agnostic/freethinker and told them that I was involved in a community group for people of that mindset which was kind of like my version church. They seemed to take it OK, but we did not stay on the subject long. So far they have not said anything else to me about it, though they do talk about god, prayer, and church once in a while. I guess they value my friendship enough not worry about our differences in beliefs.

Thepro Level 2 June 10, 2018

I don't. They either accept me for the hairy weirdo that I am, or they can piss off. My beliefs are personal. Anyone I let into my life respects me, and I return the favor.

I say "I'm and Atheist"

BTW - I am Canadian, lots of us here!

I don't generally engage with religious people about my beliefs unless they become provocative or smug, then I have a 'both barrels' approach. I think for the most part that religious people are just struggling along like the rest of us and don't seek to be confrontative. For those that do, well, it's open season all year round and I have a figurative 12 gauge science repeating automatic rimfire... 8)

I was born Jewish but I call myself a Free-thinker or an Agnostic. In other words a Don't Know!

But you have your suspicions...always a lovely way to end your two cents worth...

I tend to tell people that if there is a God, we will find out soon enough. Might also point out that there are over 3000 Gods worshiped on the planet, so in point of fact, they only believe in one more God than I do. A bit of humour thrown in doesn't hurt either.

The word 'atheist' seems too frighten the religious right. I use the words 'Free Thinker'. And they just end up scatching their heads. Plus people generally don't talk that crap to me. Might be the way I look or how i look at them. Everyone around me already knows how I think. It's no secret ?

What's wrong with frightening the Religious Right? 😉

@Ozman nothing for real. But I don't hide what I think... And most don't touch the religious subject with me. I tell the truth and they go home praying ?

I am right and you are wrong is perhaps the best way to address it. NO way can one believe in that stuff without sacrificing intellect

EMC2 Level 8 May 15, 2018

I don't introduce myself as someone who doesn't collect stamps because it doesn't define who I am. If they ask me where I get my stamps, I'll tell them I don't collect.

Same thing with atheism. I don't define myself by non belief, but if they ask me about what religion I am I'll tell them.

Piss on lawn!

Piss on lawn!

Piss on lawn!

It can depend on the circumstances, but generally with people I don't know, I don't tell them unless they ask. (Spiritual-I believe in a Supreme Being/Creator, but not comfortable with Religion.) I am out about my beliefs to most of my family and friends, no problems there because the majority of them are spiritual/agnostic/atheist.

Be the Atheist next door fearless Village Atheist stand your ground unless the boss is 2 doors down and he fires you for pissing in his church power grid

I don't bring it up. I even try avoid talking about it. I silently retreat to the background. They would not understand and it would screw their head up.

I do not

I honestly don't usually have to. A lot of people around me are atheist or agnostic, or not religious enough to bring it up like...ever. I imagine a number of my acquaintances are Christian, but...they're acquaintances lol. With a couple exes, we've gotten to discussing religion and we have just said what we were. One was Christian, the other Muslim (by family, he only participated in fasting really).
The one good friend I made within the last 3/4 of a year just fairly recently (maybe three months ago, maybe four) revealed through casual conversation that he was Christian, and pretty religious. He doesn't wear a seat belt, and he says it's cuz he's got three protectors: His mother, his guardian angel and the Holy Ghost. Funnily enough, he's been in a decent number of serious crashes (as front seat passenger too) and been just fine.
Doesn't change the fact that he's really intelligent, ethical, kind, supportive and all that shit. He's even a little conservative in some ways and is still an amazing person. I believe the third person of that trio we hang out in is also agnostic or atheist, but neither of us have said so. The religious guy prolly has figured that one out (other man also may have told him at some point, they have a long-standing and very close friendship), but it really doesn't matter.
Anywho, sorry for the rant xD

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:121
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.