Agnostic.com

806 60

How do you tell religious people that you're an atheist?

I live in America and am surrounded by Christians.
Whenever I talk about myself to religous people, I want to say ,"I am an atheist". Do you say that? Is there a better way?

Bingogwak 6 Sep 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

806 comments (626 - 650)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Among my friends and relatives here in VA, saying that I have doubts about the bible or think christianity is a crock of .... it would be certain trouble. I live my way, by the Golden , and avoid these discussions.

lcmdws Level 4 June 17, 2018

Say it. You will find out who your friends are.

Even though the word doesn't attract the same degree of prejudice over here in England, I still describe myself as 'non-religious' if the subject comes up. Don't know why... I think I've been following the American atheist scene for so long that I'm almost expecting the same grief as you folks get.

But although my atheism defines me, I never really feel any need to let people know. I think that comes from not feeling hemmed in. The majority of people that I know are atheists or agnostic theists; I think I've only met half a dozen proclaiming Christians in my entire life. Over there it must be very different.

Flat out telling them your an atheist is the best way. You have the right to believe in whatever you like. If some people want to believe in fairy tales it's there right and rest of us who believe in non fairy tales that is our right to do so.

I simply inform them that I am not afraid of the dark

pgaddy Level 3 June 10, 2018

My (non)beliefs are personal. I'll share them if asked or if someone's trying to force their beliefs on me. And I refer to myself as a non-theist, not an atheist. Purely a personal preference. I'm a deeply spiritual seeker ... I just don't believe in a being god.

When chatting with a theist, I often refer to myself as a seeker of truth who is on a journey, that every person is on a journey.

I tend to only say that I am an atheist if I am asked or if a religious person has started insulting atheists.

Good job pick your battles and don't let ILLIGITIMATI CARBORUNDUM fucking xians need to back off Atheists. ...we are neither "fools" nor "reprobates" as branded insulted in their King James bibles. ...they can go back to Bethlehem where they belong

I just say I'm not religious. Saves the confrontational judgment. In this culture, you're still judged as immoral if you don't believe in their myths. But, it is getting better. The younger generation seems to be more objective.

I've spoken with a lot of fervent believers in a God, who say they believe in god but are not "religious". To them, belief is belief and religion is all the trappings...I tend to agree with that, though I don't actively believe in anything myself,

I don’t. Well’ not right off the bat. I just talk and get along with people by not bringing up religion or politics til they do.

I'm sorry I have a cold - that was one of the non sequiturs in a John Cleese sketch!
In godless uk we just say "I'm an atheist" or 'thats for me to know and you to find ou't

I don't bring it up in conversation unless someone else does first, but I am rather out on social media, etc, so anyone exposed to me there knows where I stand.

It seems a lot of people are inclined to not mention their being atheist to people until they get to know them well. I feel this is too cautious and it puts everyone else's belief on a pedastol. I think that's detrimental to oneself and the careful rise of atheism in the world. I, by no means, immediately volunteer that information, but I like to be somewhat open and 21st century about it. If you can't share something that important with a potential friend or significant other, then it's not a relationship you need in your life. Lol You can only be you. You know?

The way Society is today I tend to avoid the subject. When pressed on the subject, I say that I was brought up Jewish but have my own personal belief systems and I prefer to keep them just that, personal.

I talk about aspects of religion like can god learn, 50ft angel/human hybrids, but without certainty, I don't state personal religious beliefs (even if none) without reason. My parents are religious for example and they don't know. They'll know sometime before I'm married but I'm not taking the risk quite yet.

Unfortunately, I simply typically don't.

I tend to allow conversation to be the light in the tunnel. At some point I will mention I'm a raging atheist.

Side note: I also tend to inform an individual that the only thing that separates them and me is the belief in a single deity. Otherwise, we believe the other 99.9% don't exist together.

i tell them i don't believe in any gods, its very easy. and nobody has a problem with it. to tell you the truth its not something that often comes into conversation. maybe living in the uk without religion is easier than the fromwherever you are

In the first place, I don't bring it up, but as you said, we are surrounded by christians and they all seem to want to convert you to their type of christian. When they ask me about my church, I tell them that I am a spiritualist and that I get more comfort from looking at the clouds, a river, or any other random pattern than being told that no matter what I do, I will burn for eternity because I won't follow my shepherd to the slaughter house.

I've considered myself an atheist for many years now but never really came out and said it. Close friends suspected it but we respect each other's beliefs.

If someone would ask I typically just told them that I'm not religious. In the past couple years though, I just come out and say that I'm atheist or don't believe in God. Especially if they are clearly the type who would find that immoral or wrong.

I don't go around randomly telling people what I do or do not believe. If they don't bring it up, I don't either.

The only time I talk to religious people about my beliefs is when the Jehovah's Witness come knocking on my door????

I usually let it happen naturally in conversation. I recently moved out of the bible belt and feel more comfortable with it now, but I don't just tell anyone. I have used it to get a few particular people to leave me alone in the past 😉

I don't know how old this post is? But I have to tell you what I say to them. If they ask or if they start ranting on how sweet their Jesus is. I tell them. "Hey I'm an Atheist and I don't believe in that bullshit." Okay I don't swear to get my point across, but I let them know directly.

I would go for 'Well I used to be religious, but I wanted to live a more ethical life so I became an athiest' You're welcome

By laughing a lot when they start preaching, LOL

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:121
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.