Agnostic.com

806 60

How do you tell religious people that you're an atheist?

I live in America and am surrounded by Christians.
Whenever I talk about myself to religous people, I want to say ,"I am an atheist". Do you say that? Is there a better way?

Bingogwak 6 Sep 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

806 comments (276 - 300)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I will say something like "I see no reason to assume all the things you'd have to assume to believe a supernatural being created and rules the universe." Yes, I know this goes right over the heads of non-rational, faith-based people. I don't care. In a sane world, the burden of proof should be on those making extraordinary claims, not on those of us who don't buy those claims without actual evidence. I'm not going to be hanging around such people looking for their acceptance anyway.

I'll tell them I grew up as a devout Mormon and then sometimes they'll ask what I believe now, and I'll tell them I don't believe in any deity or religion. I'm pretty upfront about it in a religious discussion. I'm calm about it and just honest.

Sometimes I say it if they're hell-bent on trying to get me to agree on some religious point they're trying to make.

Deb57 Level 8 Apr 6, 2018

I make no bones about it. I tell them I am an evangelical atheist. However, I should note that I live in British Columbia, Canada, and the level of religious tolerance here is likely far higher than where you're from.

The word 'atheist' is often misunderstood. Some religious people think it is synonymous with 'evil'. So I usually tell people I'm 'not religious'. I may tell them that I do appreciate ethics, and I like parts of the Bible, like the Sermon on the Mount, and loving our neighbors as ourselves. If the conversation continues to the point where "God" is mentioned, I tell them I don't believe in gods.

I don't usually have the subject brought up. So I don't really get into any conversations in which I tell them that I am an agnostic.

I live in Georgia so it's not something I lead with but I am not shy about speaking my mind. On top of that my mother is a methodist church choir director and dad was a minister. I was in my 30's before I told them. I have learned to stand my ground and stay civil as I use logic and reason to explain my position which totally pisses most of them off. I cannot go to our yearly high school reunion because I get practically attaked by bible thumpers and with alcohol involved they tend to get aggressive.

I don't know. I'm Australian and I live in Australia. As far as I can tell, it's a lot harder to be a non-believer in the US than here. Religion is not mainstream here, so in most social settings I am comfortable to fly my agnostic freak flag.

When people tell me their religion, I just say I am not that or I am not religious. I am not looking for a discussion, an argument.

How do you tell religious people that you're an atheist?

Hi, I'm Robert. I'm an atheist.

I say I am secular and agnostic.

Simple is best but I think if they are that relisious you need to say it whilst walking or jumping on to a moving bus because the lecture will surely follow you all teh days and ways of your life.

I don't worry about it. If our acquaintance is short, they don't need to know. If we become friends it will come out naturally in due time.

I rarely get into a situation where this is an issue. I think that in the UK being an atheist is considered by most to be a valid choice. I don't know so many people who are devoutly religious I suppose. 30 years ago I went out with a girl who was "born again" and whose family were churchgoers. That didn't go well. Since then I've avoided similar situations. But if anyone asks I would just say I'm an atheist or that I don't believe in any god, and if they want to discuss it further my attitude is pretty much, "live with it".

I rarely offer up my beliefs first. If I am specifically asked, I tell people I'm not religious.

K8TE Level 5 Mar 21, 2018

It works: most people I say that to just say 'oh right ' But then the U.K is pretty godless, if they start to try to convert me or say they'll pray for me then I just get off. Lifes too short.

I do not cast pearls before swine.

I don't. If they are family/friends then they already know. If they aren't, it isn't their business.

I just say “I’m an Atheist” how they deal with it is not my problem. I am from a religious family, and my father was a Bishop, yet I didn’t have issues letting them know. I am sure it bothers them that my kids aren’t baptized though.

I don't. I tell them I'm agnostic. But it's usually if they are coming on too thick. And if they try to protolyze me... well, that just depends on what kind of mood I’m in. Sometimes I’ll go for it, other times I’m a bit more subdued.

I usually tell them that if I walked into their church, I would burst into flames. Of course, they are more likely to believe such rubbish than I am. Since I have not burst into flames in a church, I have deduced that there is no God or or I am not worthy of his attention. 99% of the time my beliefs or lack thereof don't constitute a problem with anyone, because they see that I life a good, moral life and treat people well.

You don't have to. It'll come out eventually and it'll be relatively easy.

Adi98 Level 4 Mar 13, 2018

You don't have to. It'll come out eventually and it'll be relatively easy.

Adi98 Level 4 Mar 13, 2018

I don't say anything as it's none of their business, just as I don't ask them.
I do however harass street preachers..

I don't.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:121
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.