Agnostic.com

806 60

How do you tell religious people that you're an atheist?

I live in America and am surrounded by Christians.
Whenever I talk about myself to religous people, I want to say ,"I am an atheist". Do you say that? Is there a better way?

Bingogwak 6 Sep 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

806 comments (176 - 200)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I live in sheltered accommodation North Coast of northern Ireland and most people here are religious. I try not to rattle any ones cage at all because I am different enough anyway but if I trust someone and they know I don't disrespect their choices I just say that I am an atheist. No one has ever questioned me about it or tried to change me in any way and I keep a neighbours statue of 'our lady' clean and tidy.

It usually comes up when they invite me to church with them.
"Would you like to go to church with us?"
"No thanks, I'm an atheist"

Gener Level 5 Dec 26, 2017

I read a great quote once.

Religion is like a penis.
It's a wonderful thing to have. I am quite proud of mine.

I am not going to force it down an unwilling persons throat or wave it in front of children.

You can let them have their invisible teddybear in the sky. It's not like there is some atheist god commanding you to convert people.

I try to be completely myself, in all places, with all people. I stopped living a life of pretense about 10 years ago. So if the discussion comes up I never shy away from telling people that I am an atheist. I am also public about my secularism.

We are all programmed to be in a box of conformity but I always tell the truth whether it benefits me at the moment or not. Each life has their own path and they are in their own transition towards our goal which is to be the Gods of our own earths. Its a slow process, but we are on our way, with many people waking up to the fake reality the media has forged for us. There is more light than darkness on our planet now and they evil will be in full disclosure, waking more people.

Very firmly!!

I never hide the truth, I just state that I am an Atheist, I state it as loud and clearly as the situation dictates/requires and defend my stance when and where ever necessary. Be proud to be an Atheist, Be honest about being an Atheist and NEVER surrender you convictions for anything or anyone.

I wait til they ask me or make some comment - I told my right wing religious mother that I will never go into a nursing home, that I will hasten my death if I can't take care of myself. She said "If you do that you will not be allowed into heaven." I replied "I don't believe in heaven or hell. I am atheist." She was very surprised but did not cry or get angry. At 87 years old, she has become a bit more mellow.

SKH78 Level 8 Dec 20, 2017

I think you are being a bit hard on your mother. Cut her some slack.She wasn't responsible for how she was brought up and she seems to have had a modicum of intelligence.

I only say something if they bring it up. Given that I work in a scientific field, I'm lucky in that most of the people I interact with on a daily basis are also atheists or agnostic, so despite being in the Bible Belt, its rare for my atheism to come up in a conversation with a theist.

Now, in those scenarios where I am conversing with a theist and a religious topic comes up, I don't mock or belittle them and I don't cut in "well, I'm an atheist, so...". I simply share my thoughts on the topic at hand and it becomes rather quickly apparent that I'm not a believer.

I just don't feel the need to tell people anything like that.I'm in the UK though and there isn't much of a religious movement here.

I tell them I'm a secular humanist. That usually generates a kind of blank stare and the conversation can move on to topics that actually may be someone else's business.

I’m usually as honest and polite about it as possible. I’m an atheist. If that offends them, that’s just too bad, especially since religious people are pretty diligent about expressing themselves in a highly invasive manner. There is definitely nothing wrong with simply and politely announcing I’m an atheist. If they express concern, I’ll say something along the lines of, “Well, I’m sorry you feel that way. I am who I am. Have a nice day.” If I’m feeling more energetic and funny, I might mess with them a little, particularly if they’re being obnoxious with their religion... 😉

I don't kno what guys do, but as a woman I get to just to roll my eyes.

Stay in the moment. Look at who you are informing. How far do you want this info to go? Is now the time to out myself? What purpose does it serve? Should I remain silent instead of my desire to open this door? Lots of reasons too. Lots of reasons not too. Good luck.

Only when they bring up religion or spirituality first. Then I say something polite like "Jesus H. fucking Christ on a goddam pogo sitck. Another religious idiot". I'm a very subtle guy.

I let them get to know me as much as possible before I reveal that information. Thinking back when I was a Christian, if someone told me they didn’t believe in God, I automatically associate them with the devil which is unfair. So I know how that works and to avoid that I would much rather people get to know me first before they know my religious views or lack there of.

When ppl say bless me or I'll keep you in my prayers..... I respond, thank you but I don't believe in any of that. I'm atheist. Folks reaction are always different, but always ends with something about the devil ???????????

Vico Level 5 Nov 30, 2017

Yep, I remember a long smack down with a theist. When I finally left (place was closing and she had to clean) her fellow worker (a former Catholic I de-converted into an atheist) told me she said, "I'm glad that devil worshipper finally left. He had to explaining that I didn't believe in the devil. Many Christians believe that atheist = those who worships the devil.

As simple as they claim to be a Muslim, Hindu, Christian or Jew. Lol ????

First, you get a bunch of balloons and confetti, bust through the door and go, "surprise! I'm an Atheist! Wooot!"

I'm being silly, but if that is your style, go for it! Lol! Here is my thing, I don't tell them unless they ask me. If someone was Christian and you're having a casual conversation or first meeting, did you say "Oh, I'm a Christian by the way...could you pass me the ketchup, please?" That would be quite odd. I find that when you just tell them up front, it makes it seem like you're one of those crusaders carrying a banner and charging in on them about to challenge their beliefs.

What I've done is if the topic ever comes up and they inquire, because it eventually comes up, I wait for the opportunity to arise and then tell them I'm an agnostic...or in this case, you'd say you're an atheist. Then the look after you tell them, rather than their words, will tell you how they'll treat you fro then on. I live in the South in the US and I tell ya, they assume that everyone is Christian or religious. Then, when you tell them something like, "I'm agnostic" they automatically think it is the same as an atheist. Only if they're open to allowing me to explain things to them, will I tell them the difference.

i agree

I live up north (USA) and in these parts, your "they assume that everyone is Christian or religious" sadly, also applies.

sometimes there are friends who'd invite you to some religious meeting or such and I am like "that's good bro I guess but, I don't believe in such"

To me, if they know you're an Atheist and they still invite you, I think that it is a trap. There was an acquaintance of mine who is a Christian, and she knew that I was agnostic and invited me to this Christian bible study thing. I told her "no thank you" and she kind of got weirded out and offended and asked me what was the reason for my "switch." Then later said she hoped that one day I will find my way back. I told her, "I hope I won't become that weak anymore."

@CatiValti23 Very good. Reminds me of a similar talk I had with a fellow teacher years ago. He was a paying member of a really bat-shit crazy church that had children praying before cut-outs of a Republican president (Think the video showing this is part of a movie called Religulous) I told him I would destroy with facts and reason all the faith based assertions of those in his cult. When he told me he already paid my very expensive entrance due I told him he better find another sheep because I would not be beneficial to his cause.

I tell them out-right that I am an Atheist, I make NO bones about it all, BUT they do get quite a Surprise when I also tell them and SHOW them that I have a Doctorate in Theology and Comparative Modern Religions AND still remain an Atheist.

I’m from the Philippines and majority of the population here is religious... i just simply say “I’m an atheist”

Don't. Not worth the drama. My motto, live and let live.

I don't, I just don't think it's worth the aggravation..

I say religion is humankind's most destructive invention, and even if there's a god he wouldn't like religion.

Gonzo Level 2 Nov 15, 2017
Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:121
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.