Agnostic.com

806 60

How do you tell religious people that you're an atheist?

I live in America and am surrounded by Christians.
Whenever I talk about myself to religous people, I want to say ,"I am an atheist". Do you say that? Is there a better way?

Bingogwak 6 Sep 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

806 comments (701 - 725)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I usually just say something deeply critical (sometimes even something derogatory) of whatever religion they adhere to & let them figure it out.

I only bring it up if they ask, simple because it seems like then that's all they focus on. Like I am ONLY my belief, not the sum of parts

Same question is mine but I think we can explore us by discussing on social site like Facebook and Twitter or any other but if the government makes a role and give certificate then it’s will be really easy

As a matter of fact, when anyone attempts to shove religion down my throat, I spit it out ASAP. End of story.

if asked, I say: I am godless; a heathen; have no belief in God's (plural), anymore than I believe in fairies, goblins and such. Have always been this way. My parents, sibs all a of bunch of heathens too. If, that goes over well. Which often does. And they ask if that means I am Atheist? I say YES, emphatically so! Of course, I am smiling and allowing the person or persons to take it all in, without having to feel defensive. If, they become defensive, I become offensive. Then might say something like: please Don't pray for me, and keep All that dumb ass dog dodo to yourself. Don't want any of it!!!

Plmc Level 1 Nov 7, 2017

I find that people get more antagonistic when I make fun of astrological idiocy then when I tell them I don't believe in god(s).

If they ask I tell them. I try not to mingle with them.

I ask them why they subscribe to a supremacist ideology that has it's roots in a middle eastern death cult, rather than tell them I'm an atheist.

Don't non of there concern

I'm an atheist from reading the Bible. The Biblical God was a mass murderer - the Flood, death of the 1st born of Egypt, the mandates to kill same sex partners and children who outrage their parents, etc, etc.

I define Atheist in my answer. " I don't have religion I only rely on science, fact and common sense"

flora Level 3 Nov 4, 2017

I say simply, "I am an atheist. However, there have been occasions when well-meaning zealots have leaned a little closer and asked,"When did you lose your faith?". It is difficult not to get into a convoluted discussion following a question like that.

I don't tell em if i'm talking straight to them. I wanna see if they catch on. It's more entertaining to see them think.

Of course! If they are going to tell me that they are religious of some kind or other, I do not hesitate to say that I am an atheist. Sometimes the discussion just stops and changes, or sometimes we have some fun discussions about why I am an atheist and why they chose the path they are on

I do not like making people uncomfortable for no good reason - as long as they do the same - i.e. as long as they respect my views. So if I encounter a proselytizing zealot I happily shoot a silver bullet of "atheism" straight into their face. Otherwise I tell people "I am not religious".

It rarely comes up. People often prattle on about their religious views, but rarely inquire about mine. My close friends and family are all well aware of my thoughts, however, and some insist on steering discussions in that direction. When the topic does come up, though, I like to call myself a "non-theist" so there isn't that knee-jerk reaction to the word "atheist" (even though it means pretty much the same thing). Some people get weird when they hear "atheist" and become irrationally angry and map their own ideas of what it means onto me, and that can be a conversation ender. I like to keep things a little less adversarial if possible, so a real discussion can take place and I can speak for my own views without being told (loudly and angrily) by someone else what I do or do not believe.

Don't just bring it up. If they try to include you or evangelize to you just be honest and polite

I won't discuss religion because I already know where they stand and where I stand and what I will hear. Same tired arguments. I am an introvert so I don't get surrounded by a whole lot of folks as a general rule, religious or otherwise. Whatever opinions my critters may hold about the universe and its origin they have seen fit to keep to themselves. If you are in a situation where religion is actually an important matter (hey, wanna go with me to Church on Sunday) then you can lay it out there and move the conversation in another direction to ward off some of the discomforts they will likely feel unless you are feeling provocative and want to 'enlighten' them. Of course, Grandma probably will suffer terribly so you may want some follow-up line to keep her from tears or disinheriting you. "I don't believe in God but I'm willing to embrace him/her/it if/when he/she/it puts in a showing". Okay, maybe not...

I live in America and am surrounded by religious people of all stripes -- I was an Atheist Pagan for many years -- and when someone gets to spouting what they believe or talking up some kind of woo, I listen, acknowledge it politely and then say "And I don't," or "And I can't feel energy. Never been able to."
That usually brings a person to a dead stop and sometimes leaves them a bit stunned. After that, connections generally fade and they stop coming around.

"I'm an atheist" When their face calms down from the slightly shocked and puzzled look you get, the message then reaches their brain and immediately it starts "Are you sure? How did this happen to you? etc" I simply reply "I'm not just an atheist, but a militant atheist and there is nothing you can do or say that could change my position on this, but if you like I can tell you why I am...." I normally never get to the "let me tell you why" part!!!

If the subject comes up, I just say that I am an atheist. I live in what is referred to as the South Bay, about 50 miles from San Francisco. People are pretty cool with it here. I don't know how I would be in, say, Virginia, where a friend of mine was hounded out of a job because her coworkers found out that she was an atheist.

If they ask me what religion I am or what I believe, I say that I’m atheist. I might add that I live in a small extremely religious town and at the present time I'm about the only nonbeliever here that I know of. I haven't had much blow-back.

gearl Level 8 Oct 23, 2017

Religion (or lack of religion) is personal. I do not generally talk about it. If someone specifically asks I say I am non religious and then drop the subject.

I tell theists, I don't think there is a God, but if there is, he knows I'm telling the truth. And I am perfectly willing to listen to God, but not hearsay about God ! Did God tell you he authorized a book, or do you normally go around talking crap about the creator of the universe ?

Why did you call " he "

I don't !

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:121
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.