Agnostic.com

806 60

How do you tell religious people that you're an atheist?

I live in America and am surrounded by Christians.
Whenever I talk about myself to religous people, I want to say ,"I am an atheist". Do you say that? Is there a better way?

Bingogwak 6 Sep 10

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

806 comments (151 - 175)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

What I say sometimes depends on the audience I am speaking to. Try saying, "I'm non theistic". If they enquiry further, say, "I believe in science, ethics and the immutable laws of physics". If they still enquire, say "I think of magic as entertainment".

Good job hinting at all the things Atheists are and believers fail @

I say I believe in the ancient Chinese creation myths that have been debunked but I don't care. lol

Geoff Level 5 Jan 26, 2018

I don't go for shock factor but there is a certain satisfaction in waiting until a person knows you before you tell them. The first response I usually get is, "You seem like such a nice lady!" and I reply, "I AM a nice lady." Most of my family and friends know I'm atheist. Many of my co-workers do also. I don't like to lie about who I am.

I kind of agree. I have reached a point in my life where I have very little tolerance for those whose minds have been corrupted to believe (faith) (belief without evidence) has superior or equal footing with things that can be demonstrated to be correct (scientific method). I have gotten into the habit of in the beginning of any social relationship - land-blasting potential social encounters with such arguments to assert my position as one that does not depend of superstition to dictate my understanding of the word.

I look them in the eye and tell them in a casual voice, like it's no big deal. They usually look at me funny but nothing else is said about it. If I don't make a big deal, usually they don't either.

When they ask me about anything relating to religion I simply give them a wink and a smile.

Actually, I simply say, "yeah, I'm agnostic." and then I let the fuuur fly! 😉

Sadoi Level 7 Jan 19, 2018

Basically I'm truthful about my beliefs. I have such a strong core value system and really understand myself very well so I'm not going to tip for around reality just to appear to be pc.

I don't. I lean more towards agnostic than atheist. But why bother? It isn't anyone else's business. If someone invites me to church I will tell them I am not a churchy. Few ask me why but if I'm asked I tell them I'm just not. I don't like being in groups of more than a handful and I really don't like being told what and how to believe. I have never been pushed any further than that.

AmyLF Level 7 Jan 17, 2018

Unless I already know I'll assume that somebody I'm talking to is religious. of course I'd never tell anybody that I'm atheist, at least a strong atheist, as that would put me in a category alongside a theist in that neither could prove himself correct and the other wrong. being a humanist I don't bother to bring it up unless I'm asked in which case I'll explain hunmanism.

I wear an Atheist button I wear American Atheist shirts hats pendant tie pins the incomplete carbon orbit and pensee PANSY flower as our symbols. . If they ask anything I always say I am not religious ....if they start any religious shit I say your bigotry belongs in Bethlehem go there not spoiling our godless CONSTITUTION here

I wouldnt say anything if they are interested in the reason you don't go to church you could tell them then. Christians arent stupid they just believe in something without proof. Some might even become athiests themselves.

I usually just say I’m not religious. If they get pushy I say I’m atheist, living in California it’s rare that people get pushy.

My response is just simple and nonchalant. If they ask me about my faith I just tell them I have none, I'm atheist. Tell them I'm humanist in terms of world view, but only if they mistake atheism as a world view. Canada isn't as crazy as other parts of the world, I still get the odd funny look, but most don't care that much.

I have found it very uncomfortable and haven't even tried to tell a few devout christian and muslim friends. I think they would be horrified and feel I had tricked them But I cannot stand listening to them spout their prayers for me and other blathering comments, I go into a coma and grind my teeth. I wish I could say something, but I'm SO uncomfortable. Any realistic suggestions ?

When I feel like you do, which is often, sometimes I just ask simple questions, like why do you believe that - and how do you know, until they feel the need to walk away. That way, it's not on me. "why?" drives the pious nuts.

Sorry to hear that. It took me years of research and thought to develop a sufficient arsenal to destroy theists assertions in a wide range of discussions. If this is uncomfortable for you, I don't know, just try to stay away from them?

Have they asked you if you are atheist? If so, just say, yes. Otherwise, unless it comes up or is relevant, why would you just volunteer? Then If they respond, you can carry on with your end of the conversation. Even when I was a Christian many moons ago, I didn't just volunteer my religious views, unprompted.

PEGUS Level 5 Jan 8, 2018

If someone asks me I simply say, "I am atheist." If I'm not asked, I have better things to do with my time than to bring it up and invite a possibly heated debate (yes, it makes some people angry.) However, if someone specifically asks me, I just put it out there: "I am atheist."

I just wait for them to make some religious pronouncement at which point I tell them I don't believe in that deluded nonsense, Magical Easter Bunny In the Sky or bullshit depending on how inappropriate I find their pronouncement.

"I'm an athiest" ......." I only eat babies on the weekend when I have time to slow roast them"

I shoot straight. tell them I am atheist in fact I bring it up with out them asking if conversation leads to religion. it is up to them how they take it. won't hide my opinion as if I am living in the 15th century.

Ewket Level 4 Jan 6, 2018

My truck is covered with Atheist and Science bumper stickers so meeting new people wherever I drive is a done Atheism deal. ...if queried I reply EVERYONE IS BORN Atheist and should not learn violent religions anywhere on earth

I simply tell them, “I don’t have a religion. I am atheistic.” in response, I usually get some version of, “oh, that’s OK, some day you’ll see the light.” I roll my eyes, or shake my head, tell them, “I already have found the light, that’s why I’m atheist.” That usually completes my contribution to the conversation, as they then usually spout off some version of Pascal’s Wager, and congratulate themselves for having the good sense to believe in fairy tales.

The best way is just tell them up front what you are. Saves a lot of time with closed minded people

When some religious topic comes up, I say I don't believe in god anymore. I'm too old to have an imaginary friend.

I don't. They start to figure it out as we talk.

Have you heard the fake news?

Mainly because the bornagains I’ve encountered ask if I’ve “heard the good news”... not sure what they mean, but they know what I mean...

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:121
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.