Agnostic.com

594 23

What is your response when people threaten you with religious punishments? (i.e. Hell/Jahannam)

Admin 8 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

594 comments (551 - 575)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Hmmm. That's interesting.

JayJ Level 1 Dec 24, 2017

Interestingly enough, this is what broke me from organized religion.

I was in the desert in Qatar with a couple of Islamic believers. At the time I considered myself a skeptical Southern Baptist (born and raised, don't you know?) and we got into a discussion about religion.

We agreed that both Islam and Christianity had grown from the same (Abrahamic) roots and discussed the fact that in Islam, Jesus is a prophet, etc...

I asked the question "So, as a believer in Islam, what do you think is going to happen to me, a Christian, when I die?"

One of the guys responded with "oh, you know, it's all ok, same religion .. <stuff>"

His friend butted in and said "no, that's not right. You are going to hell".

At that moment, I came to the full realization that I was dead to religion and religion was dead to me.

My response: "Oh, that's too bad"

We drank more tea, enjoyed the night and headed back to Doha just after sunrise.

????????????. I laugh it off.

Roll my eyes, shake my head, and walk away mumbling "stupid talking monkeys."

hhhhhh you have to see the real threat in the Arabian world

i don't believe in such a place..

First convince me of the following:

1. It's existence outside of greek mythology or others and it becoming part of the Christian religion by proxy

2. That I can escape it. I have fallen away from the faith and per scripture I've pretty much committed the unpardonable sin. That's why it took a lot to get me away from the faith.

First I laugh, then I tell them we have god within us. We judge ourselves, and I choose not to go to hell. Yeah, Jesus said we would do greater things than him. He also said to look for the kingdom within. You can't really reason with these people though best to say " interesting point of view" and walk away.

My question is, what's the punishment? If it's hell, my answer is, I hope so, because I want to be far, far away from where you'll end up in the afterlife.

I tell them that according to them god makes that decision not them so why even bring up something they do not control?

I usually turn my back and/or walk away. I'm just not interested in their gods rules, regulations or punishments.

Where the Hell is Jahannam?

godef Level 7 Dec 20, 2017

Have you asked yourself, what if you’re wrong and there is a heaven and a hell?

I've laughed a few times when they really get frothy at the mouth. I try my best not to argue though, as they are viewing the world through their own experiences, and I really don't know all they've gone through to come to their current situation.

When I get told I am "going to hell" I smile and simper "meet you down there". Another good response is "your heaven would be my hell".

SKH78 Level 8 Dec 19, 2017

I smile & walk away.

I tell them to go to Hell lol

Ha I suppose you could say to them that if god is perfect and he gave us free will then any mistakes or choices you make in life is on god.if god sends you to hell then it is admitting it's mistake and is not perfect.if god puts you in heaven then you can say there is no justice for evil in the next life so why pray to a god like that. There is also the beneficent and willful god argument other Jesus died for our sins argument. Infact there are so many get out of hell free clauses that you never need fear god's wrath again.

Laugh ,ignore them,show them that my field of f@#?s is empty and barren.

Buwahahahahaaaaaaaa!

I laugh

KO3AK Level 4 Dec 18, 2017

I just tell them to blow it out their asses

All I hear is "Bippity Bobbity Boo."

What the hell is jahannam? Oh hell, duh, it’s hell.

Laugh.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:19
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.