83 14

Fellow agnostics, how do you feel about believers joining?

This is likely contentious, but it needs to be asked. As this is a site "...promoting universal truths and peaceful life without religion" how do you feel about people of faith joining here?

I'm no shrinking violet and I don't need the sort of safe space that so many people believe they do now, but I also don't want to have to engage with people who have been inculcated into some form of unscientific, simple-minded view of the natural world.

I joined in the belief (cough) that this was an exclusive club where I could escape from these folk - but now I find they are joining - with a view to what, I don't know although my hackles are raised.

Not only is this sort of thing wasteful of resources, but if they are here to try to convert or preach at us, that's likely to result in a dissemination to all-out flame wars in a post or two.

I didn't think this was a site to convert people from one way of thinking to another (that sort of thing is nigh-on impossible by the time we're in our 20s anyway.)

I ask because I'm interested what my fellow angostic/athiests think.

I've noted that "theists" tend to butt in to these conversations with their ignorance and that's what I came here to avoid.

I'm getting too old to argue.

By Draco
Favorite
Please or register to see comments
83 comments

No thanks. I have enough arguments in other places online or otherwise.

SteveB Level 1 Oct 22, 2017

hehe...growing old seems to make me want to argue more!

Still, I believe Atheists, Agnostics, Humanists, et al need a forum away from religious zealots. As a Spiritual Humanist I believe in the POSSIBILITY of a god, even if as such s/he is the sum total of the matter and energy of the omniverse....hence my priesthood in Spiritual Humanism...SO...

I have no compunction against offering words of solace, encouragement and enlightenment when and where needed. These can feed the "soul", or psyche if you prefer, and even to an Atheist, a true unbeliever, these can have a positive effect...BUT...

I am NOT here to proselytize, convert or otherwise sway anyone's thinking beyond RATIONAL debate. The beauty of my "faith" is I DO NOT KNOW and, beyond my direct experiences, have very little knowledge of anything intangible. I do know the "voices in my head" are of my own making and, if I ever think otherwise, I hope I am committed to the appropriate institution...and let me make it clear I am NOT talking about a church! STILL...

There are far too many websites, groups, clubs, chat rooms...for religious people to be among their own. My personal belief, having been a part of this wonderful community for a total of just over an hour now, is that anyone coming to this site to find converts should be politely asked to leave.

DangerDave Level 3 Oct 22, 2017

I agree.

BeerAndWine Level 2 Oct 22, 2017

You can be a theist and an agnostic so why shouldn't they?

PNEawf Level 3 Oct 22, 2017

I suppose it's like anything. Everyone is welcome unless some aren't. I say let them in. Even though it's not the purpose of the site.

Ash831 Level 3 Oct 22, 2017

I agree with TheresaReid.
On other sites I have seen the people who are religious come in and try to "Save" all those non-believers.
Once hit with some dispassionate facts and logic they go away.

fladerman Level 2 Oct 21, 2017

I believe there are a few reasons believers join this site. They like to argue or debate. They like to spread the word. They like to cause unrest. I do not believe because religions have caused most of the problems in this world. People who force their beliefs on others really upset me because even when you tell them you're not interested, some of them just keep up their babbling. I'm not a confrontational person. I don't like to argue. And, I especially don't like to debate things like belief or non-belief. Leave me alone to live my life as I see fit and I'll do the same for you.

TheresaReid Level 3 Oct 21, 2017

they always spout useless fantasy junk.

RonaldJames Level 3 Oct 21, 2017

The problem with many posts from the religiously minded is they will end up quoting something from a religious text as though we should accept that as absolute proof and also cannot believe that we might be without faith.
Somebody of the calibre of Archbishop Desmond Tutu would add interesting debate, but most religious posts on the internet are utter drivel and would add nothing to this forum.

OrmRich Level 3 Oct 20, 2017

What is the point of them joining? I really hope this doesn't turn into a debate group. I'll have to exit.

asgunnell Level 2 Oct 19, 2017

I would hope NOT, finally a place for free thinkers. This does not NEED to become a forum for debate .

Ometiklan Level 2 Oct 19, 2017

Please, just don't. They already have a lot place to go. I just found this website and I never saw so many polite and coherent comments together. I'm so tired of people trying to validate their point of view with no sense explanations.

Unicorn Level 2 Oct 19, 2017

After careful consideration, I would lean more towards "no". I have already resoluted the question of existence of god/godheads long time ago. I would rather not spend my precious time on any futile discussions on that question.

AlanLai Level 3 Oct 19, 2017

As long as "believers" don't push their beliefs, they don't really bother me. If they come to this site, they shoudl keep their opinions to themselves. After all we (nonbelievers) don't go into their place of worship to speak our views.

snytiger6 Level 5 Oct 19, 2017

This is my third time coming back to this question because it caused a lot more debate in my head than I thought it would. I'm an inclusive type of person so my first impulse was to allow them. However, the points I kept coming back to are:

1) This site provided me with room to breathe in a way I've never experienced before. Sure, everyone has different shades of non-belief and it's stimulating to discuss them, but I'm safe from the theist challenges I deal with in the rest of my life. There are tons of other sites out there where I debate as the black sheep "outsider" with the religious. It doesn't have to be this one.

2) Although it's a real bonus to find community here, I believed this was promoted as a dating site solely for agnostics which was a big draw for me. In fact, I've never joined a site so quickly as I did this one and I love the people I've met! I don't need to fear getting involved with someone who's just tolerating my beliefs.

So, no, I don't think they should be allowed.

Lauren Level 4 Oct 19, 2017
While I took the stance of inclusion, I do see your point. It's such a relief to hear rational thoughts all in one place!
Take this as a "like" to your comment, silvereyes. (^.^)
I see your point, but in many ways when places become "echo chambers" they can defeat the purpose, especially if that is one of free thinking.
I understand what you're saying, PNEawf, but I've seen a lot of variations of freethinking here so I'm not sure we'd be too monotone. But one thing that seems to be uniform across the board is an unwillingness to date a religious person, so maybe it should be polled? (Or maybe it was, I'll have to go look.)

So long as they don't come here to troll or preach their religion to us, then I've no problem with it.

Brock Level 2 Oct 18, 2017

OK with me if they can fade the heat. Most believers don't realize that many atheists were raised in the church and have heard all their arguments and apologia and find them full of holes.

Jamesd Level 1 Oct 17, 2017

I have no problem with this, hopefully it may help them see how wrong their views are

LeslieSanders Level 3 Oct 17, 2017

and what of the aetheists who shove their beliefs down the throats of those who don't see the world exactly as they do?

SamL Level 6 Oct 17, 2017
I don't believe we need to shove anything down anyone's throat. But, if they actively join a site like this... if they come into the conversation, I think they're asking for a discourse.
I agree with you wholeheartedly. Yet, I've seen some responses belittling others and literally stating this is how it is which in my opinion doesn't leave any room at all for discourse. Responses evoking discourse are phrased in a way that promotes discussion not shuts it down.
Yes, you're right about that. It gives Atheists a bad rep. and I see it too often. Mutual respect is the only way to have a good conversation.
One of the issues many atheists have with the religious is that many religious positions begin at a point that few atheists can respect. Opinions that are homophobic, misogynistic, racist, etc and respecting that is wrong. People can hold any opinion they want but not all opinions are worthy of respect.
Does that apply to the people as well? Are they worthy of disrespect because you don't respect their opinion?

I think they should be allowed to join. After all, how else can people see the wisdom behind rational thought if we don't open our discussion to them?

If they are just here to troll, or preach, instead of seek answers , understanding, or have rational discussion- I think they should get the boot.

silvereyes Level 6 Oct 17, 2017

I'm brand new and the reason I joined is to avoid having to talk to theists! So I say, no, they should not be allowed to join.

catdogartlove Level 2 Oct 17, 2017

Open-minded people listen to their critics. Inteligent disagreement should be welcomed, but how are trolls to be excluded?

jawolffie Level 2 Oct 17, 2017

Why would a believer join an atheist site other than s(he) has doubts about their brainwashing from birth until now and their subsequent delusions.

Democratis Level 2 Oct 17, 2017
Many religions instruct - even demand - that they witness to and attempt to convert to their religion. A website of "lost souls" to save could be quite enticing to some.

I think, personally, that people who spout religion should be tactfully blocked from the site. I have enough religion jumping up in my face on social media, on the street, in the newspaper etc. I came here today to NOT have religious people on here.

Teresa Level 4 Oct 16, 2017

the problem I am not sure if religious ppl joined but it;s also an invitation to troll's and not the good kind either out fairy tale books they have gotten good athiest site closed closed wel pages but using mutliple accounts If it wasnt for the troo;s I I would personalywelcome the open disccussion

AlanHotchy Level 2 Oct 16, 2017
Write Comment
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content read full disclaimer
  • Agnostic.com is a non-profit organization promoting universal truths and peaceful life without religion