Agnostic.com

783 56

How do you deal with Door-knockers?

Whether they be Witnesses, Mormons, or another proselytizing religion, how do you deal with people coming to your door to spread their religion?
I just had my first experience since getting a place of my own and had a decent conversation through the crack in my door. After I told him I was an atheist he tried to use apologetics; when I told him I was familiar with his arguments and didn't find them convincing further explaining that I take a scientific route of belief and chose not to believe until there is evidence for a god. He understood and thanked me for explaining and listening to him and he left with a handshake. I was surprised at myself for how civil I was to him but how does everyone else usually respond?

Nicsnort 6 Oct 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

783 comments (626 - 650)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I talk with them and debate them. I always treat them with respect. I used to evangelize myself, I get where they're coming from. I essentially take it as an opportunity to evangelize atheism. Many of the most outspoken atheists are former believers. Maybe I can get them to Join our ranks

I talk with them and debate them. I always treat them with respect. I used to evangelize myself, I get where they're coming from. I essentially take it as an opportunity to evangelize atheism. Many of the most outspoken atheists are former believers. Maybe I can get them to Join our ranks

If I answer the door, I'm nekkid!

Mooning can be effective.

I was a farmer on Delmarva, the Mormon elders who weren't old enough to shave would show up looking for my step daughter. She had joined in D.C. Zbut lived in So Cal. I never drew my pistol, but I told them to strip off the white shirts and pick up a shovel or I'd call the sherrif... I think if one comes here to 22643, I will put them on their knees, hands on top of head and give them a large pebble to suck on (Polynesian punishment tech) until the Sheriffs arrive...... I don't own a backhoe anymore.

I have had Witnesses come and "visit". I hear them out and even take their literature. I have found that, if you question them enough about some of the idiotic parts of the Bible they will reach a point where they will not be able to find an answer. Since I am retired I have plenty of time and there is plenty of shit in the Bible to ask questions about.

I take one look; say "no thanks" and shut the door

I use phenomonology or street epistemology... They can't cope with people who think.

I usually tell them I don't have time and they go away. Once one of them answered me "How can you not have time for the one that created time?" I just laughed and closed the door.

Alexa Level 5 May 16, 2018

As a twelve year old in Britain, I once answered the door to Mormons and said the first thing that came into my head: "We're all communists here." They positively fled.

My brother-in-law invites God-botherers in for a cup of tea and very politely demolishes any argument they care to present. I tried something similar, again in Bllighty, and invited one (a Jehovah's Witness?) in for a meeting of the minds. I knew it was a lost cause when he told me in all seriousness that, following whatever passes for the Rapture within his sect, the land would be rolled back - taking with it the nuclear power plants and their long-long-lasting and unstable radioactive core that I'd expressed concern about - to reveal a bright, newly minted Eden. Ghost Dancers of the 1890s had the same (in their case, desperately) wishful solution to the fatal encroachment of Europeans and the near-genocidal tactics of the US army.

I just say "not interested" and close the door...BUT once my Aunt invited them into her home and told them..."Ill go to church with you if you go to the bar with me and well get drunk together"....they never came back!!

In our neighborhood we have a homeowners group rules that helps keep solicitation of thus Hyperion. this helps to keep the door knockers out of the neighborhood. And the event that we get door knockers we just call homeowners groups leaders tell them about the problem and they send security out

I used to get very annoyed in my youth, but now I can carry on nice conversations about anything but religion. The last encounter I had was a group of women. I told them right away that I wasn’t interested, but them complimented one lady on her pretty dress. We ended up getting into a very nice conversation about all kinds of things except religion. So I guess my tactic is: be nice and divert. Lol

I used to live way out in the country...On Fridays Jehovah witness kids would visit....they did this all summer and Ioved it....Mainly because I could drink my beer and converse....lol.....

Wezzy Level 4 May 29, 2018

I handle it differently now that I live in a small Iowa town. I used to say "No thanks". In a larger city, I lived in an apartment and told one "No thanks, I am an atheist". Later that night I was in the kitchen with a sliding door. My roomate went out the door to the laundry and the minister jumped into the kitchen saying "I am here to save you". I also lived with my gun collecting brother and picked up a civil war pistol he was working on that I could easily stick my thumb in the barrel and told him to get out and to never come back. I don't remember seeing him again and we moved a couple of months later. The gun was unloaded. But, it was the only time that I have had to pull a gun and point it at someone in self defense. It was huge. Even unloaded I could have used it as a hammer if he hadn't stopped rushing toward me.

Depends if I am busy or not. If I am busy I give the a brush off.
If I am not I invite them in, that always gets me placed on their no knock list.

Usually I try to be polite and say thanks but no thanks. I mostly get Jehovah's Witnesses, but I used to get Mormons on occasion. One time I tried to freak them out by inviting them to come over to my lord Satan (I have never been a satanist and do not believe in the devil). One time I asked a JW that came to my door how much success they got selling religion door to door. He replied that was not what they were doing. I said sure it is, and I have no use for what you are selling. Now I have a doorbell camera and I just don't answer the door.

I respond the same way as you. I also tell them I am concerned about them and hope they find the real meaning of life.

I live on 2.5 acres and 200 feet fron the road with 3 no trespassing signs not because I dislike people but for liability but years ago I’d get JWs or LDS and would greet them with Asalaam Alechum and tell them I was Muslim... honestly you never people walk away from me so fast

Some of them have the rare hability to swing my mood towards the bad side faster than the speed of light !! Perhaps they deserve a Physics Nobel prize

They don't bother my house that is a BnB....I have signs saying no solicitors and no door knockers. Across the street from my BnB, I have another house that I use as an office/library, storage, and private living space....and I have a Buddha statue and a Ganesha statue at the door of that house. I've seen JWs at the houses around my office-house, but they're never knocked...at least not when I was in there. No Mormons either even though I've seen them in the neighborhood too.

It has not happened to me in many, many years. But if it does, I hope to handle it the same way you did. You are very kind.

Well, I enjoy teasing them. The most common are Jehovah's witnesses. I use their own knowledge against them. I start off with how do they pronounce God's name, where it is specifically stated in Torah that God's name can not be pronounced? And where they spell it, there are no vowels.

Then I ask them what Bible did Jesus and the Apostles use? The Torah. So, if it was good enough for them, why not you?

I don't even get into the reason of atheism, I just use their own materials to make fools of them.

Of course, then I point put the Jews never took the Torah literally, even the concept of God was a metaphor, which is why over 52% of Jews are atheists, but embrace the culture and nation, while thinking the concept of God silly.

I never answer the door unless I'm expecting someone. If the doorbell rings I'm pretty sure it's either someone selling something (religion or otherwise) or a homicidal maniac, and I hate it when that happens.

I have had many a person come to the door wanting to preach religion. What I found works so they don't come back is to know more about religion from a philosophical level. Thay leave better informed than when they arrived and as i do most of the talking lol i don't cop an ear bashing. Must admit have moved to the country they don't venture out here like the city.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1448
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.