Agnostic.com

783 56

How do you deal with Door-knockers?

Whether they be Witnesses, Mormons, or another proselytizing religion, how do you deal with people coming to your door to spread their religion?
I just had my first experience since getting a place of my own and had a decent conversation through the crack in my door. After I told him I was an atheist he tried to use apologetics; when I told him I was familiar with his arguments and didn't find them convincing further explaining that I take a scientific route of belief and chose not to believe until there is evidence for a god. He understood and thanked me for explaining and listening to him and he left with a handshake. I was surprised at myself for how civil I was to him but how does everyone else usually respond?

Nicsnort 6 Oct 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

783 comments (751 - 775)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Easy. I don't answer the door!

I stop them as soon as they start heading down my driveway by telling them that if I didn't invite them onto my property, they are trespassing.

If I'm not busy I will engage them and shred their belief system until they leave. I love it when they bring a protege because they don't stay long because they don't want their protege contaminated.

I usually take the introvert approach and pretend that I'm not home. They'll go away eventually. ?

I like to talk to them. The last JWs ran away. I was pleasant, but they didn't like the questions that I was asking and they quickly realized that there was no way they were going to convince me.

On my profile I checked "introvert"....maybe I need to re-evaluate my answer.

I politely tell them I'm not interested. The new missionaries in the area usually only come once.

Mr13 Level 3 Feb 13, 2019

I wonder if they turn away the Baptist when they knock on their door? We have a local Baptist Church that places flyers and propaganda throughout the community. The pastor sometimes goes door to door. Meh. He probably knows not to knock...

I just send my husband to deal with this trash. He is not a really polite man.

zesty Level 7 Feb 18, 2019

I handle them gently, taking my thumb and fore finger and...Oh! Door knockers!...Never mind.

This seems to work well....[agnostic.com]

Many years ago, when I was married, a young (16-17) JW showed up at our door and wanted talk about marriage. We let him in and listened his adolescent musings for a few minutes, then politely showed him out. It was then I saw the 2 adults waiting on the sidewalk. Why hadn’t they come the door with him, I wondered? Then I realized this was not an attempt at proselytizing at all. It was deliberate alienation: they knew that everyone would reject this poor boy all day long, trying talk adults about marriage, and they were there console him and be his only friends. It’s part of creating a cult mentality: the world rejects you, but we’re here for you. The young man was sincere; the adults were predators.

You're WAY nicer than I am. I just tell them I'm too old for invisible friends.

You're WAY nicer than I am. I just tell them I'm too old for invisible friends.

NMost people just say "I have my no own religion and im fine with it. No thanks"

I feel insulted. As if .

Well Done! He is more likely to give some thought to your talking points, combining with his most certain doubts (Evryone has them, admit them or not), due to the fact that you were civil.

@Nicsnort My advice is to remove the door knocker! Look, there is no point in engaging them in conversation, as you are not going to be convinced. In my experience it is best not to engage in conversation with a door-stepper, rather say that you are busy at the moment and say goodbye.
There is no need to waste your time listening to them and they will be quite happy to move onto the next door; it's what they expect will happen.

It all depends on how I’m feeling at the time. Usually a polite “no thanks, be happy”, occasionally an invitation talk and pose them the question about why they need answers everything..... and once, just once I shouted back into an empty house “Have we got the sacrificial goat ready?”

Just Level 4 Mar 21, 2019

EASY! I tell them I get equal time,,,,five minutes. When I am done they shake my hand and leave!!!

I tell them they are just in time for the orgy but they missed the human sacrifice though we are having another next week if they would like to volunteer just leave their contact info at satan.com

Hey. I open the door if they have BIG knockers. What can I say? It's the dawg in me baby.

Tell them before they come knocking to fuck off im an Atheist

I generally say I respect your beliefs, now respect mine and then I politely ask them to leave.

Tell them not interested and don't come back again without a warrant

Put a sign on the door "Cold callers will be composted

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1448
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.