Agnostic.com

783 56

How do you deal with Door-knockers?

Whether they be Witnesses, Mormons, or another proselytizing religion, how do you deal with people coming to your door to spread their religion?
I just had my first experience since getting a place of my own and had a decent conversation through the crack in my door. After I told him I was an atheist he tried to use apologetics; when I told him I was familiar with his arguments and didn't find them convincing further explaining that I take a scientific route of belief and chose not to believe until there is evidence for a god. He understood and thanked me for explaining and listening to him and he left with a handshake. I was surprised at myself for how civil I was to him but how does everyone else usually respond?

Nicsnort 6 Oct 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

783 comments (551 - 575)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have a no soliciting sign that specifically says "no religion." I still get them now and then. I make them read the sign, then educate them that they need to be spending their time helping others not bothering people like me. I had to start being rude because when I first moved in they were coming 3-4 times a week. It's not like I couldn't find a church if I decided to go.

One should deal with them as Gene Wilder and his sidekick Marty Feldman did!

Gees now I want to get a door knocker alone and ask for their stories!

It's not funny or interesting, but I just tell them that I am not interested, and it's true, I am not. I have too many things to do, or to read.

You are better off not taking the literature. Jehovah's Witnesses will count you as interested and come back soon to give you more literature. You would be considered what they call a "return visit."

JK666 Level 7 Mar 15, 2018

As soon as they introduce themselves, I ask them to leave and I shut the door. I figure there is no point in wasting my time or theirs.

I do not answer to cold callers, religious or otherwise.

Hit on ‘em. Invite them in for weed, drinks, and sex.

I'm always civil. If i have time I'll engage and discuss religion but mostly they seem to turn up when i'm practicng so i just say 'thanks but im not interested'
Years ago i did used to go out of my way to wind them up but thats not very nice and ive grown out of it 🙂

I put signs up for no solicits and don't answer

remove your door knocker and have a secret bell installed that masquerades as an ornament that only your bessie mates know is there.

Back in Florida when I kept reptiles, I would see them coming down the street, and answer the door DRAPED IN SNAKES!! They never returned!

I used to tell those people I was agnostic. That's a mistake. I think they go into overdrive and think they have a live on. To them agnostic means someone who hasn't heard the good news or some other such nonsense. Like we are just sitting around completely ignorant of jesus and christian mythology. Telling them you are an athiest is better because it is a little more clear where you are coming from, but the most ardent ones will still try to proselytize you. In my experience the most fun I have is to say you are jewish. There is no ambiguity and they know they will not be converting any jewish people. Plus, they usually want to leave quickly because they don't want to get any Jew germs on them lol.

"Oh please come in, and I will show you, in the buybull, where it contradicts itself, and why I am an atheist. After that, we can put my grandson in the rotisserie and we will have dinner." The looks of horror! ???

I put up two signs, that keeps them away, as well as salesmen, and others: [amazon.com]

This is the other sign: [amazon.com]

I am always keen for a chat if I have the time. I regard this as a subset of my overall approach of "know your loonie." That's also why I keep tabs on Fox News - how we laughed. If they've made the effort to knock on the door, I really want to know what their motivation is.

I used to try to scare of them away, but lately I've taken to speaking with them and asking them what they believe and why they believe it.

I had the Jehova's Witness come one Saturday morning at 845 after a long Friday night and was still a little tipsy. They tried to invite themselves in to save me and I wasn't having it. I told them if they would bring a virgin I could sacrifice I would invite them in and listen to their pitch. That was over 2 years ago and I haven't seen them since!

A friend of mine made up a "Zeusist" pamphlet stressing the importance of praying to Zeus and the other Greek god and goddesses. He gets door knockers on a regular basis and has a bunch of these ready to hand out in return for a Gideon Bible or Book of Mormon.

Interesting thread. I live in France and the ones we get are English and generally wet, bedraggled and tired by the time we get them, so they are cordially invited in and given a tea and a place by the fire. Once they get started, we just go about our lives and cook, clean, tune up the chain saws, whatever, while engaging them in debate. We had one young French guy last year who seriously fell for my daughter last year - I don't think he had ever met anyone of his own age who thought independently, snd he came back three times ?!!!
My husband also brings out our bible , which has post -its all over it to the various contradictions, when they say " You have never read this passage."
Oneguy I met later in town, said the warmest reception he'd ever had, was from ......the atheists.

Ps. Nice to meet you all, this is my first evening here. 🙂

Tilia Level 7 Apr 1, 2018

So I grew up as a Jehova's Witness and because of it I guess I tend to be a little more on the polite side about it... Honestly if I have the itme I'm more than happy to invite them in for a drink and let them speak ther piece.. I also really enjoy the challenge to my belief system.. Though funny story

I had these Mormon women coming to my door early in the morning.. As I work an overnight shift I would be very groggy and upset that they kept coming to my door so I told them if they want to talk to bring me coffee... And they did... Anywho so I allowed to come into my home and being a polite host I tried to find them something they could drink and despite knowing they couldn't have certain things I'd still offer them coffee,tea,soda,beer and what have you.. Then to be sneaky I offered them hot chocolate which they glad accepted and enjoyed whole heartedly....

Talk to them about aliens, nicely. I Also like to hear their views on their religion, as long their not forceful

I can't believe that talking through a doorway has more than a non-zero chance of changing their mind. I am convinced that to be going door-to-door means that these people are beyond the pale or reason. A) Say the equivalent of "Not interested" and close the door. I posted a sign that says "No Soliciting".

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1448
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.