Agnostic.com

783 56

How do you deal with Door-knockers?

Whether they be Witnesses, Mormons, or another proselytizing religion, how do you deal with people coming to your door to spread their religion?
I just had my first experience since getting a place of my own and had a decent conversation through the crack in my door. After I told him I was an atheist he tried to use apologetics; when I told him I was familiar with his arguments and didn't find them convincing further explaining that I take a scientific route of belief and chose not to believe until there is evidence for a god. He understood and thanked me for explaining and listening to him and he left with a handshake. I was surprised at myself for how civil I was to him but how does everyone else usually respond?

Nicsnort 6 Oct 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

783 comments (451 - 475)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I am cordial, telling them I will listen to what they have to say as long as they will listen to what I have to say.

I have done something similar back in the days I wanted to defame them, I would invite them in and explain about my position, I prayed they would reach my door this day and since god sent them, they came in. I told them about satan and then ran out of time. Now I smile and say no thank you but I do appreciate them thinking of me, What the hell, they will never understand reality until it hits them square in the face

EMC2 Level 8 Jan 7, 2018

I used to be a Jehova's witness and this was the part I hated the most about it all the whole door to door thing.. Now a days even though I don't care for door knockers I try to be polite.. Now typically I work a night shift so if they come in the morning I tell em to bring coffee and if they can't do that well they've gota deal with me talking with them naked.In general I enjoy the challenge to my belief structure.

I open the door.

I find out what they want.

I close the door.

Done.

I tell them that I am offended they think I haven't thought about these things just as hard as they have. I am a scientific skeptic, I tell them, and I can't find a shred of evidence for their beliefs. When they start to talk about the bible (inevitably they do), I just laugh and tell them to go read the ancient Babylonian mythology, from which the bible was rather poorly plagerized. ....sometimes I'm nicer than that. But it gets OLD, to have someone knock on my door and tell me they know something I don't.

Most of them say that errors from the old testament don`t count. So I ask them "did the last supper happen before or after the Passover"? Mathew says one thing Luke says another.

I break out my Bible and welcome them in. It largely goes as you describe. They NEVER return.

Congrats you don a fine job proofing to people that we are just humans but don' take there bullshit

When a team of proselyters comes to my door I am friendly but firm and I tell them I am not interested in discussing religion with them. I live in a small town, work closely with members of the christian community and I am friends with some of them. Most people around here know how I feel. They show up maybe once a year and I am not overly bothered by the visit. What does bother me is a group from the Pentecostal church who stands down at the corner with a bull horn, preaching. They bring the children holding signs and put them on display. I literally have to roll my passenger side window up so I do not get blasted in the ear.

JMcD Level 3 Jan 13, 2018

I'll talk till they drop 😉

Varn Level 8 Jan 13, 2018

It depends - with JW is essentially impossible to talk. They are indoctrinated to the level of psychosis.
Yet the Mormons are generally nice - actually I see them, talk them and discuss with them pretty often.
And generally I am pretty opened for a religious discussion.

I don't answer the door if I'm not expecting someone. My people know to call or text me if they're coming over, so unless I've ordered a pizza, random doorbell rings go unacknowledged.

I will be polite in telling them "No Thank You" but I do have a patience limit when they keep insisting. I ran into that recently with two females who would not stop. That is until I open the door fully, I was standing behind the door with a tshirt and boxers on, and stressed I had better things to do than keep trying to be polite and while I needed to finish getting dressed. They were embarrassed then and left.

When I had gerbils as pets, I used to take their literature, say thank you but I'm in a hurry, then go give the gerbils the literature to chew up.

Ignore them until they go away, or shout that I'm not allowed to answer the door.

If I have the time I invite them in and offer a beverage. never give up the opportunity to tell the religious folk that I'm simply not buying.

That's strange to me. I grew up in a town that didn't have them, at least not to my knowledge. I don't remember anyone ever coming to peddle religion. I moved around a lot in my late teens and early 20s so I don't think I settled long enough to have anyone come knocking. When I finally did settle it was out in the country where they generally didn't go. Before I lived where I am now, I was in an apartment for 4 years where it wasn't allowed. It wasn't until this last 3 years that I've been in a place smack in the middle of a handful of Baptists that I've had the door knockers. I'm pleasant, and tell them I'm not a church kind of person and really don't like crowds. I think I've had 4-5 visits but only one got a little pushy. That one I had to tell them I wasn't Christian and wasn't interested. When the person percisted I fell back to a quick talking assurances method, that I was secure in my own faith and I'm pleased they had their own but that I had some things to attend to. If I ever get some inclination I'd be happy to stop by. A smile, a nod a handshake and a wave if there is anyone in the car, then the closing of the door. I never invite them in though. That's commiting to a chat I really don't want to have.

AmyLF Level 7 Jan 17, 2018

I invite them in and offer them wine. Then I sit inappropriately and ask lots of questions about how their religion deals with sex and orgies. They’re usually ready to leave immediately. And they NEVER come back. I think they have a “no-visit” list and I get added. I’ve only tried his with Mormons. I wouldn’t do this with baptists.

I told some Mormons, one time, "Aren't you guys racist?" Turned them red in the face.

Depends how much time I have, my grandmother used to make 'J.W,s ' tea and biscuits and sit down with them and let them do their spiel, took their leaflets and when they left said, thats my good deed for the day I let some other poor person in peace for a bit longer. I am capable of this but now live in sheltered accommodation and they wouldn't get in to the place.

I take off my clothes, put a towel around my waist, tell them I have just finished showering and invite them in for tea.

NAKED is how I deal....I must be on their "list", NOBODY cums anymore....

I also try to be civil, as much as possible. Usually when I say, "no thanks, I'm an Atheist" they politely move along. No hard feelings.

One Witness didn't want to stop bothering me so I just told him that his day would go a lot better if he didn't try to have a conversation with me. Their promotion of sexual abuse just sickens me.

If I am not expecting anyone I might not answer the door. My kids know to call before they head my way, and they know how to get in. And then if I do answer the door I'm pretty good with saying "get the hell off my porch."

We try to be very quiet and hope they don’t knock. If they do we don’t open the door. I once had a man bother me in my car as I was eating lunch in a rush about to go take an exam. I am always friendly but I rip their pamphlets to shreds when I get home. I find it very rude to ambush me in my own car where I can’t really escape.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1448
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.