Agnostic.com

783 56

How do you deal with Door-knockers?

Whether they be Witnesses, Mormons, or another proselytizing religion, how do you deal with people coming to your door to spread their religion?
I just had my first experience since getting a place of my own and had a decent conversation through the crack in my door. After I told him I was an atheist he tried to use apologetics; when I told him I was familiar with his arguments and didn't find them convincing further explaining that I take a scientific route of belief and chose not to believe until there is evidence for a god. He understood and thanked me for explaining and listening to him and he left with a handshake. I was surprised at myself for how civil I was to him but how does everyone else usually respond?

Nicsnort 6 Oct 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

783 comments (201 - 225)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I tell them that I'm an evolutionary biologist and that I'd love to have a chat 🙂

I try to present reasoned argument and intelligent rational discussions with the door-knockers but with little effect! Once those eyes glaze over......

I actually had a nice chat with a crew of Mormons who really wanted to know why I had no beliefs. It was a mutually respectful experience. Other times I had to be very direct.

Not interested.

Waltz Level 4 Nov 4, 2017

I tell them I come from a family of seventh day adventists. Most run away on hearing that.

I don't. My dog does.

I say that I am an atheist and that there is no God - they turn and leave.

I tell them that I am NOT a believer and my life and time are devoted to the real world and proven scientific FACTS, not something or someone that has never been proven to exist.

ParkS Level 4 Nov 5, 2017

sometimes I just listen to what they have to say , thank them and say good bye.Its intrusive but they can still have their beliefs. If I am busy I just say so.

I used to ask them to leave my property, that they are trespassing and not welcome. I now have a sign on my door saying " No Soliciting, No Exceptions. If we don't know you, don't bother us." That has seemed to work so far. It also keeps the kids selling magazine subscriptions away.

I am pretty tolerant, but if I can brush them off, I will. Sometimes I just tell them I am an atheist, and this can get an interesting reaction. Other times I say I don't discuss religion with strangers. Once upon a time I became friendly with an LDS gal, and she would stop by regularly. I was always polite but never took her up on her invitations. Another time a Baptist minister who lived nearby stopped at my house, and I told him I was Buddhist. He proceeded to put down Buddhism, which I thought was very foolish of him. Now I live on a boat, and I don't have this problem. No door knockers of any kind.

I used to be the one knocking on the door. I was indoctrinated from a small child and nothing I ever heard on "visitation" from someone objecting it got through to me nor deterred me as I had been conditioned to think I was saving people by bothering them. I don't open the door unless I've ordered food or can look out and see who it is, etc.

I haven't had to deal with them in many years, but I used to just tell them that unless they were prepared to talk to me concerning my sexual preferences and experiences (which was always refused, for some reason), their discussion of religion was just as repugnant to me.

I once told a Jehovahs Witness that I didnt see the accident and then closed the door.

Run and hide. No, seriously politely tell them I'm not interested in what they are saying.

Start talking about aliens

My uncle was looking outside his front window a number of years ago. He saw 2 JWs going from door to door, heading his way. It was an older woman and younger girl, maybe 20 or so. They stepped on the porch and he opened the door with "Howdy, gals! Come on in. The old lady's gone and we can have a good time!" They took off as if someone were shooting at them.

I have fun with them. I offer to give them 5 minutes of my time to discuss their god if they give me 5 minutes to discuss my atheism. Then I politely close the door and say 'let's not even waste each other's time'.

Gary Level 4 Nov 7, 2017

I am a real Ass, I get in their faces, I yell, and cuss. I try to make them feel as uncomfortable as if I were in their house

I answer the door in my shorts and a bottle of liquor in my hand.

I simple say that I have way too many more important tasks to be accomplishing than to engage in a battle of wits with a defenseless person.

Coming from a Mormon background, I try to send them away with respect. Most door-knockers do not want the respect if it comes with a NO. They will still argue with me about my personal experiences and try to mansplain why things didn't happen that did. So I don't engage, just say no and shut the door.

I used to refuse to open the door, but then I figured, it's MY HOUSE & THEY are intruding onto MY space, why should I hide? So now I open the door with a huge smile on my face & invite them in - and without giving them a chance to get a word in edge-wise, I start preaching my Antago-theism to them and ridiculing their beliefs as idiotic rantings of morons, etc .. until they run for the door ..! I've have several grab their crosses & hold them up in my face, as if to fend off my evil, LOL!!

I just tell them I'm atheist and that they should fuck off.

Answer it naked

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1448
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.