Agnostic.com

783 56

How do you deal with Door-knockers?

Whether they be Witnesses, Mormons, or another proselytizing religion, how do you deal with people coming to your door to spread their religion?
I just had my first experience since getting a place of my own and had a decent conversation through the crack in my door. After I told him I was an atheist he tried to use apologetics; when I told him I was familiar with his arguments and didn't find them convincing further explaining that I take a scientific route of belief and chose not to believe until there is evidence for a god. He understood and thanked me for explaining and listening to him and he left with a handshake. I was surprised at myself for how civil I was to him but how does everyone else usually respond?

Nicsnort 6 Oct 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

783 comments (701 - 725)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

**We put up a 6 ft fence with double bolt locks on the gates and no bell there. Now we have peace .

No thank you. Never come back. If you or any of your friends return I will interpret your actions as a threat to my safety and I will use options up to and including lethal force to remove you from my property. I have a stack of cards with this message printed on them. I open the door hand them the card and close the door.

This seems to be a good deterrent....[agnostic.com]

Usually casual Conversation turns into relentless fortune telling about my eternal demise. That turns into asking for supernatural evidence and they always turn up nil. I always offer a polite return when they can wow me with godly powers or intuition, but until then I'll trust what I can see ?.

I don't even answer the door if it's someone that I know. Anyone who knows me knows this.

Ele97 Level 2 Oct 1, 2018

(opens door)
(before they have a chance to talk I ask...)
Do you have time to talk about our dark lord Satan?
He gave us knowledge from the tree instead of keeping us ignorant.
He accepts all sinners instead of rejecting them.
He is the definition of unconditional love. ❤️? ❤️? ❤️?
Lmao that should be enough to make the scurry away

I invite them in. I never mind discussing. Since I am a school teacher, by nature I am open to others expressing themselves as they make sense of the world around them. We all need to connect with others. Many door-knockers are surprised to be invited in. I've learned that one way to say "No" is to find a way to say "Yes."

If your gods wants to tell me something s/he should know how to contact me. I do not deal with intermediaries!

I deal with door knockers in the same way I deal with charity muggers who accost me in the street ; "permiso, no hablo inglese". It works a treat here in Australia where virtually no-one speaks Spanish.

It depends on what I'm doing at the time. If I'm just hanging out or practicing scales on my mandolin, I might invite them in to hangout with me. They are people too. I don't let them preach at me though, and I don't answer any of their questions.

jafbm Level 5 Oct 12, 2018

I don’t answer the door, someone knocking on my door is such an anomaly that is freaks me out (I live in the woods on 8 acres). My back up plan is what my old boss used to do - answer the door naked with a beer in hand.

I love it when religious door knockers come knocking at my door. I have heard of many people slamming the doors on their faces, but not me. I invite them in and ask them questions. I used to be a Christian for many years and thought I knew what I believed and why I believed them until I started questioning my own beliefs, and I found out I really had no good reason to believe these things any more. Now, I use the same techniques on them as I used on my self. When questioning them, it is easy to find out from them that they are not fully sold on what they themselves are being sold, which they begin to manifest by their stuttering and stammering. All in all, I handle them by questioning them not to show them up, but to help them as much as I have helped myself. I can still remember that I was once where they are not very long ago. It doesn't offend me that they sometimes express sympathy toward me for my non beliefs, because I was once where they now are. I have had good conversations with believers as well.

Open door say " I'm a Atheist I don't believe in God" then shut the door. They tend not to come back.

Echo7 Level 3 Oct 13, 2018

Engage with them without becoming irascible however blinkered their views on such existential subjects.Few door knockers know much about science and their big argument these days is that despite all the advances in knowledge we still do not know how life began ( although Lawrence Kraus and other top physicists may disagree).My usual reply is that even if their is a deist god who started the whole process of life and the universe in which life exists, there is no proof that there is a theistic godly figure who sent his son to earth to die for us, that we were born in sin or that He sent a further messenger in the seventh century as a final call to arms for those who believe in an after life.

No mutually satisfactory conclusion is ever reached at the door but a I have usually enjoyed myself whilst the caller is happy that the door was opened and a conversation occurred.

I was in a gas station once buying snacks and drinks for me and the kids. I said to the person behind the counter why did she give me a Lotto ticket, you can't win if you don't play. And she said I don't play the Lotto you wanna know why?(I know I should have said no but I didn't)I said sure why not. And she said, if my god wants me to have $1,000,000 then he'll give me $1,000,000. And I said that's fine I'm an atheist. And she said, if you're Devil want you to have $1,000,000Then he'll give you $1,000,000. And I said, no you don't understand, I'm an atheist. I know she didn't understand what I was saying. But I think it's a great story. It's just not worth arguing with a sick mind.

I just tell them that I'm not interested in their product.

You responded really well, you were honest and civil.Most would just shut the door in their faces, or say they don't have the time. ( ex: having dinner with the family, have to get ready for work, etc )

I did a bad thing! Lol! When I was 22 I believe we got a lot of knockers almost daily it seemed. We put a pentagram on the door and never had a knocker again. Lol!

Oh! I also played a joke that backfired. I let them. They sat, gave good hospitality, water, offered snacks etc. My kids were there. They invited us to some airplane at an airport you can go in. Sounded cool. My kids were thrilled and said to their mom, my ex, we were invited to go on an airplane and pray, ?. I played it off and said its just an old war plane at an airport. The morning came back often and expected the same treatment and I was always at work and my ex was home so she had to entertain them. She was so mad that I let them in. ? sometimes I don't mind them and I talk to them normal and straight out and honest but they can't return the same sentiment because they are so freaked out that I don't believe and you can see the worry and pain they have in their faces as they look at your children and they fear the children will burn in hell. My children were babies and they have done no wrong. They say but if they don't worship they will go to hell, etc. You know the testing the story. Always the same. ?

I enjoy planting seeds of doubt in Mormons. I read enough of their book and of the Bible to know how to confuse them.

I tell them I have my own beliefs and then I close the door.

Depends on their behaviour. I'll usually invite them in and educate them on their own book. Simple logic can be explained away as just "stuff against God" but when you take the words from thier own book they will stop and think a littke bit before thier little brains melt.

I pick them up and punch them against the door several times until someone answers.

Oh... Sorry, wrong kind of door knocker. I need to read more carefully. ?

I ignore them.

I do not engage proselytizing people. I simply say no thanks. There really is no point in engaging with people who believe a story that starts with a talking snake.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1448
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.