Agnostic.com

783 56

How do you deal with Door-knockers?

Whether they be Witnesses, Mormons, or another proselytizing religion, how do you deal with people coming to your door to spread their religion?
I just had my first experience since getting a place of my own and had a decent conversation through the crack in my door. After I told him I was an atheist he tried to use apologetics; when I told him I was familiar with his arguments and didn't find them convincing further explaining that I take a scientific route of belief and chose not to believe until there is evidence for a god. He understood and thanked me for explaining and listening to him and he left with a handshake. I was surprised at myself for how civil I was to him but how does everyone else usually respond?

Nicsnort 6 Oct 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

783 comments (26 - 50)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It depends on my mood. Some days I simply politely tell them I'm not interested. Some days I tell them to "fuck off" and then there are those days I'll answer the door butt naked and invite them in. If they are crazy enough to accept my invitation at that point, I'll debate them until I grow bored and then ask them to leave unless on the off chance I perform a successful "conversion" LMAO!

You have my brain moving now. I'm interested to hear about such a conversion, if one is even possible, and what the outcome was. Interesting.

@Csoncrant89 like I stated, on the off chance. I never converted anyone. But I have sent a couple of them running away in horror lol!

I used to open the door completely naked and that seemed to work as they never came back

Sounds dangerous lol

Is it warm where you live? If not have you heard of a Walnut Whip?

If possible, I invite them in and offer something to drink. I always invite them to speak and I listen. I appreciate their passion and we always have a good discussion. I don't hold with either Jehovah's Witnesses or Latter Church of Saints... but I always have questions. I'm not the be all and end all.

Great attitude... I am an atheist and not interested in changing people's minds but it's really awesome talking to others about their beliefs... our discussions usually last at the most 10 minutes... knowing what the Mormon religion philosophy and beliefs are and how incredibly psychedelic it is... I always find them friendly... I mean come on when they die they get their own planet and get to have Celestial sex how much better does it get then that.

@emjai lol

I meet them at the door with Roger Penrose's excellent book on M theory and the multiverse titled " The road to Reality" and challenge them to a comparison of their book to mine.....They usually take one look at the math involved in understanding M theory and leave without further comment! If that doesn't work I ask them to explain cancer in the light of an all loving god and introduce them to my wife, a 8 year survivor of Pancreatic cancer who was cured not by prayer but by cutting edge science! I then show them the paper we wrote on her treatment that was published in 2016 and ask them to explain why if god was so protective of his followers, my atheist wife survived while several others we knew who were devout and prayed for survival right to the end simply died! The knockers cannot effectively do their task.....people who don't believe because they have thought it out, cannot be swayed by their superficial intellect so they are wasting their time and ours in the pursuit of making themselves feel holy. I think they are the ones that begin conversion with their visit but I don't seek them out they subject themselves to my assault on their superstition and I try to be fully effective! I wonder how many of them actually think about the disquieting things they found at my door?

great story about your wife's survival. awful disease

Yep but she is tough and beat it!

Instead of making statements just ask questions the whole time. Every theists logic is flawed and if you do nothing but ask questions they will eventually come to one they can't answer without appeals to the supernatural/magic, but it could take a while. Or just close the door in their face if you don't want to listen to them. It might feel rude but you didn't ask for them to come preach to you. Plus they tell children they deserve to be tortured forever if they don't believe in their space wizard, so they deserve it on some level even if they are unaware of the harm they cause. You should feel no obligation to give them your time.

Say "Sure, we can discuss (god, religion, etc,) after we discuss your sex life. That's just as much my business as my religion is yours."

This is great!!!!

I blast Marylin Manson's Antichrist Superstar before I open the door!! Works like a charm!

Type O Negative, Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden, or Body Count also work.

I worked for MM for awhile.

Owh, I thought it was going to be...'how do you deal with knock, knock jokes?' Haven't had a religious door knocker in years; I'll let you know next time it happens, it will depend on my mood 😉

It depends on what kind of mood I am in. If I am wearing my Mickey Mouse T-shirt, I will patiently listen to them, take a copy of their reading material and thank them for "sharing"
If not...I listen to them, nod in the affirmative, ask questions to make them think I am about to become a believer and then tell them "Nah..I'm good.

If I am feeling naughty, I will listen to them with a confused look on my face and then ask them something uncomfortable, like.."what does your faith teach about masturbation?"

@LetzGetReal I figured it would get them to praying hard or running!!???

I can't recall any religious people knocking on my door. I've lived in Utah for 2 years and I'm feeling a little rejected. I wonder if my neighbor's put me on a blacklist after a 3 minute conversation as I was moving in???

LDS bugged the crap out of a young lesbian neighbor in Alabama, she was too nice to be assertive even when they talked about homosexuality. I played the asshole card, but that's literally the only time I've had to deal with door knocker religious types.

It's almost like there's an anti-god keeping idiocy away from me???

Quick .... send him to DC... then down south... let's clean out the gene pool..

I had some JWs at the door a couple of weeks ago. I just said I wasn't interested as I am an atheist. They said OK and walked away. I felt a little sorry for them.

@LetzGetReal hmm, dunno why it had posted twice.

Door knackers for unwanted Door knockers.?

To really sinch the issue, add nails or spikes on the rest of the door to make it impossible to knock manually.

I answer the door naked or in my boxers. They don't want to see that and I don't want to see them.

Lol...I've got this scenario in my head now: "Honey! Its those damned jehova bastards...Quick... take off your clothes and answer the door!

Depends on how much time is available and my mood.

Some fun things might be asking them if they are Christians. Further inquiring about whether they just talk about Jesus or actually live by an follow hos recorded example can be fun.

If they calim to live by his example, that's when it's time to invite them in with a big welcoming smile. Offer them a seat while you fetch soap, a foot tub with warm water and a towel.

"My feet are pretty grubby. Who wants to be first?" ?

I was an RN in Neuro Trauma ICIU for 20 years. I have seen enough of children die because they won't go against the JW shit. They would would rather have dead kid than allow any 'unclean' blood or blood products. Crazy.

@rossit0725 They 'live' in another mental world. On the blood thing and holiday(ritual behaviors) thing, I also reject, but for entirely different reasons.

In the Netherlands we have stickers (provided by the local gouvernement) that you can put on your mailbox. In my case Yes to charity and No to sellers or religious proselytizing. It really works in the Netherlands and do not get interrupted anymore. It saves you time, frustration and you can evade those silly discussion. So I agree with Chainsmkmtair that a sign may be a very effective way of prevention. Otherwise you can also shock them by answering the door naked if they are too stubborn to respect the sign.

Stickers like that sound like an amazing idea. Though I bet if they were provided by the government in the US people would start complaining that their "free speech" was being impaired.

@Nicsnort
I think I can also complain that they impair my privacy, as they have no valid reason to knock on my door (see the sign).

Since I used to be the one doing the knocking, I have some compassion for these folks. It was never a natural thing for me to do and I hated it. I was dragged into it by my parents. Depending on my mood, I either don’t answer the door or I explain that I’m a former and no longer interested.

I appreciate your mention of compassion. It can get pretty hot where I live, and I’ll sometimes offer folks some water. Just because the ideas don’t at all resonate with me, no reason to be nasty or inconsiderate.

And what kind of torture is it for these poor Mormon kids to have to spend two years wearing a white shirt, black pants and a bicycle helmet pedaling around neighborhoods looking like escapees From a mental institution?!

If they have children with them I address the children and ignore the adults. I tell the child the adults are evil and they should get away. Usually I am not bothered again, everyone is happier really.

DrT Level 4 Dec 18, 2018

I did the same thing to a couple of Street preachers who brought three children with them—I told them that their fathers were crazy, and I hope that they didn’t grow up to be as crazy and ignorant as their parents. Why was I So cruel? Because in these situations and you only have about 30 seconds to get it across to children that their crazy religious parents are wrong and hope that they grow up Questioning how others see their parents screaming through microphone on the street corner.

@Weismonger but that isn't cruel at all.

If you give them the opening, they will try to preach as they feel conversion is their religious duty. What I do is simple - as soon as they start talking, I interrupt and say - "if this is about religion - thank you, but no thanks - have a good day" at that point I close the door - by not giving them the opportunity to talk they simply walk away and don't return - you don't have to tell them what you believe - its none of their business.

I understand your inclination to be polite and guard your own identity. Maybe as a gay man in my 60's and having lived out in the open all my life despite the hostility especially years ago I have learned that being direct is the better policy. Look at the gains gay people have made in the past 40 years. I think it is a result, not so much in changes to the law, but in changes to the gay community itself which has refused to live in the shadows an to be more militant in our demands for civil rights and justice. I think agnostics and atheists should do the same. Come out of the shadows and declare ourselves! Society will not only take notice but change for the better.

I invite them in if I have time, then I close the door behind them and block it. You see I am 6 foot 5 inches tall and about 250 pounds they aren't getting out unless I let them. Once the door closes then my fun begins. Very few ever come back.

Oh, that is hilarious!

Bought my first house last year, and now I'm living in a small city. Had a nice couple come to the door last summer with a flyer for a religious event they were holding. After a very brief explanation, they asked if I was interested, and I just smile and politely said, "no, thank you." They wanted me to to take their flyer anyway, so I did. I seem to have always imagined that I'd be more clever or bold in a situation like this, but I kinda blew it.

I was sitting in the living room yesterday when I noticed a man leaving my porch. I was reading, and didn't notice him approach the door. He didn't knock. I assume he tried the doorbell which doesn't work, and left when I didn't answer. I watched as he and a younger man went to the two houses across the street. No one was home there either. When they were safely gone, I checked the porch to see if they'd left literature, and there was a postcard sized ad in my screen door handle. It was a local politician running for city council. Kinda bummed, because after looking him up, I kinda wished I'd been able to talk to him.

Better have your doorbell fixed, asap. Mr. Postman always rings twice.

I used to be cordial and invite people in but it became uncomfortable getting rid of them so I resorted to quickly saying I wasn't interested and when asked why not simply replied that I didn't want to talk about it. I used to live a short distance from a mormon temple and would on occasion get a missionary come by to try to convert me that I thought I got good at rejecting but one day when the bell rung when I opened the door to see five young girls well three young girls in their teens and two young girls about 10 or 12 maybe younger standing there all dressed in their sunday best all holding their bibles smiling and grinning at me in anticipation I burst out in uncontrolled laughter. I felt so badly for them and still do to this day for having humiliated and rejected at such a young age by my heathen pagan self such hopeful, willing souls to bring the heathens to god.. It was all I could do to just say I'm sorry and quickly and quietly close the door. I was so ashamed but still giggling gleefully. So I guess laughing in their faces works. It'd be hella funny to someday somehow hear the horror story of one of their first attempts at missionary work and this asian dude laughed us off his porch. So there ya have it. Hope ya learned something or were at least entertained. It's all true!! LMAO

SamL Level 7 Oct 15, 2017

I'll drink to that

I used to pretend to be civil but it only encourages them. I used to be more tolerant of religious people and their beliefs. But I look at the world and the harm inflicted by religion and see no reason to be polite. We are in the midst of a cultural war between the intolerance of belief and the rise of secular humanism and rational thought. As a gay man I have borne the brunt of religion attempting to influence our supposedly secular civil government. "Family values" and "Defense of Marriage" are used as weapons in an attempt to infringe upon the civil rights of those of us who do not buy into their narrative. Tax free donations to religious organizations are used to initiate bigoted ballot referendums and our military is used to impose cultural imperialism on other nations spurred on by religious wing nuts who lobby those sympathetic to their cause in Congress and even state legislatures. I now lay in wait for anyone foolish enough to knock on my door with their idiotic babble and bible tracts. I shut them down as quickly as possible, tell them to get off the property and have even been known to chase them down the street hurling epithets. Just recently two women came to my door with two children in tow. I angrily accused them of child abuse and when they hesitated to leave I chased them to the curb with a rolled up newspaper held menacingly in my hand. One woman was in tears. Good! I'm sure I made no converts but neither did they and the fracas drew attention from my neighbors several of whom later congratulated me tired of the annoyance of these people knocking on their doors. The world is embroiled in numerous wars all of which have some religious component to them. Christians, in particular, are responsible for millions of deaths in recent times in their endless Crusades against the non-believers and even violently quarrel amongst themselves as in Northern Ireland. The US military is in the forefront of these Crusades and I resent their activities carried out in my name. Just come to my door with your nonsense. Make my day!

That's a very, very thorough observation of the world we live it. Very Admirable.

I simply say in my best Ruth Gordon impersonation, we belong to The First Church of Satan..come on in...!

LOL

I just let my 2 mastiffs answer the door. That takes care of it.

ho-ho-ho! must be some mastiffs

I live on an acreage. I have 2 big German shepherds and a sign on the gate that says " Please close gate - Dogs loose in yard". Once the JW's came and were "pinned" to their car - not allowed to get back in or step away from it until I came around to the parking area. I told them they should leave and never come back. They haven't.

I surely hope your Shepherds have a regular medical check-up.

Neil Young, formerly of the folk/rock group CSN & Y have a nice song about Alberta titled "Four Strong Winds" he says "weather's good there in the fall." Must really be a photographer's paradise there right now with all the colors of autumn.

If I ever get a chance to choose my place for retirement Canada is on top of my list

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1448
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.