Agnostic.com

783 56

How do you deal with Door-knockers?

Whether they be Witnesses, Mormons, or another proselytizing religion, how do you deal with people coming to your door to spread their religion?
I just had my first experience since getting a place of my own and had a decent conversation through the crack in my door. After I told him I was an atheist he tried to use apologetics; when I told him I was familiar with his arguments and didn't find them convincing further explaining that I take a scientific route of belief and chose not to believe until there is evidence for a god. He understood and thanked me for explaining and listening to him and he left with a handshake. I was surprised at myself for how civil I was to him but how does everyone else usually respond?

Nicsnort 6 Oct 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

783 comments (301 - 325)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I just say no thank you and shut the door.

In my underwear.

To test the waters with a believer - if you want a laugh try - A wise friend of mine would shake his head and with a straight face say, "Oh no, I'm a vegetarian."
If you are trying to be logical with them it won't work. They have wiped that slate clean long ago.

In general believers believe, I believe they need confrontation- they need belief for many reasons - early childhood indoctrination, inability to accept their real worth in the universe, it molds neatly with the other belief nationalism, death scares them, they want to exist by a rule book which makes "THEM" more important in the universe and offers them a reward for using their particular religious playbook (bible, koran - any collection of ancient superstitions/ magic) and they get the DEAL..eternal life in heaven. Also a benefit is social grouping, shared holidays and warm fuzzies which accompany that often reinforced with song, chanting or tongues.

I was in the yard with my Labradors one Sunday and two ladies who were canvassing the neighborhood stopped and saw them, then started asking about them. I had 3 at the time, all girls, 3 generations. The oldest is black and the other two are chocolate. One of them asked if they are related and when I explained their relationship, she was stumped. She asked how they could be mothers/daughters, if they are different colors? I soooo resisted the impulse to say "it's all genetics, or as you would say, God's will". Or, "you wouldn't believe in that". Or some other smart-ass response. I probably went through a dozen of them in my head before I just said "it's genetics, like eye colors in humans". She was pretty stunned by the answer, I'm glad I didn't give her a harsh answer.

I've just thought of an amusing thing to try. Start doing an exorcism on them! 😛

I've had some very nice visitors from one faith or another along with a few really nasty ones. If I have time, I offer, refreshment and have a conversation, often veering away from religion. I had a pretty good talk one time with a JW about different ways to tie a tie. I try to put folks at ease on my front porch and just enjoy their company.

Knock back

I tell them my sister is waiting for me upstairs in my den of sin, and then ask them if they want to get high and join me.

godef Level 7 Nov 27, 2017

I invite them in and enjoy the discussion. They won't convince me of anything but I'll learn something about a faith perhaps. That makes things worth while.

There’s little I enjoy more than talking to people about worldviews, so if I have time, I invite them in and try to demonstrate that living a reasoned life doesn’t require that a person be rude or uncivil. They are human beings. They are my neighbors. I want to make the best impression I can, and still be candid about my beliefs. The last group that came by, after finishing their required spiel and realizing I was not conversion material, lapsed into just being friendly folks and politely asked if they could snap some pics of my artwork. It was a pleasant encounter, and I like to think they might remember it as being different from their usual experience. I know the Mormon kids are away from home for two years, and live under constant scrutiny doing a mostly thankless task. I try to make my home a sanctuary where they can have a moment away from the glaring eyes of their supervisors, and let their hair down a bit. Some of them seem to appreciate it. I want them to see that there could be more than just one way to live a good life.

skado Level 9 Nov 28, 2017

I let them say their piece. It doesn't ruin my day, and it makes them feel like they at least got their chance to "save me". Now if they start getting pushy, or trying to shove things down my throat, then I'll make sure they understand that I'm not interested.

Well, that was me 18 years ago. Life's definitely taken a 180 degree turn. However, having been in their shoes, I'll always be polite, offer them a glass of water, or a chance to warm up in the winter. If Mormons, I'll even engage with them, although the second they start to hear something that challenges their beliefs, they tend to shut down and run away as fast as they can.

My son and daughter-in-law have a sign on their door which reads:

NO SOLICITING AND NO PROSELTIZING

THANK YOU

I put up a sign on the door telling people that I do not believe and I am happy and content with the world, filled with love and kindness for friends and tolerant of others. If you knock though, all bets are off and the dogs come out.

depends on how playful i'm feeling. anything from inviting them in for a drink, smoke, stick or sniff making sure they know contribution and participation is a must. sometimes i'll hear the pitch, look them dead in the eyes and say prove it. I want see, smell, taste, touch or hear it. if I can't do at least one of those. Bye and have a nice day.

I reply with “In the beginning . . . Man did not understand, so he invented religion to explain everything.” It shuts them up and they go away speechless.

Civil is always worthwhile. I sometimes get students and former students who are Jehovah's Witnesses at my door. They already know that I am agnostic and discussion ensues as well as reminiscences about the school I taught in and their memories of class with me. Good stuff. Others get a more formal treatment, but civil questions are most effective.

Call the police!

Many years ago I had some Seventh Day Adventists knock on my door. Right at the time I also had a young Dingo Pup ( Native Australian Dog) that my daughter and I were raising.
Right when they started their religious spiel the pup started yelping, it was outside in the back yard at the time, and out of the blue my Daughter suddenly shouted to me, "Dad, you'd better come quick, the baby is trying to eat the dingo."
Funny thing is that my Daughter was an only child and just 7 years old at that time, BUT the dirty looks I got from the Door Knockers were priceless to say the least.

I respect as I can every human being. I may not have time to waste on them but... I grew up and was schooled on a Private Catholic Academy. Also attended a Catholic University... I had heard a lot already of what Door-knockers try to offer.

Pretend to try to sell them drugs, when they mention they don't want any. Just say you don't buy what they are selling either.

If I had time, I’d invite the person in for in interesting conversation. You would both get insight about the other.

Be polite and tell them that you have no interest in the religion business.

I am always civil but usually explain that I was about to leave because I'm running late for __. Then I throw away the religious pamphlet they insist on pressing into my hand before they leave. I find the little white lie so much easier than having to explain myself, though I have interesting responses when I ask if Adam and Eve had bellybuttons when they were born🙂

Well, if it is a Jehovah's Witness, I politely thank them for their decency to stay out of politics. This is one point in their favour anyway. I tell them that i am not interested right now but accept a booklet and they are on their way. The fundamentalist type of born again christians are another story. I tell them to get the hell off my property and stay out of citizens private lives. I have absolutely no liking for them.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1448
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.