Agnostic.com

783 56

How do you deal with Door-knockers?

Whether they be Witnesses, Mormons, or another proselytizing religion, how do you deal with people coming to your door to spread their religion?
I just had my first experience since getting a place of my own and had a decent conversation through the crack in my door. After I told him I was an atheist he tried to use apologetics; when I told him I was familiar with his arguments and didn't find them convincing further explaining that I take a scientific route of belief and chose not to believe until there is evidence for a god. He understood and thanked me for explaining and listening to him and he left with a handshake. I was surprised at myself for how civil I was to him but how does everyone else usually respond?

Nicsnort 6 Oct 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

783 comments (326 - 350)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I have a sign on my door that says, unless you have a hot pizza go away.

My wife was of the same opinion as myself, however having been raised a Catholic she was closeted. When she died she still was in agreement for the most part, although hopeful more was waiting. When the door knockers showed up she would tell me to sick em. I invited them in and served them refreshments and let them rave for a few minutes. After about 15 minutes of listening I would begin challenging there "FACTS" within another 5 minutes they fled usually reassuring each other .. they always bring backup ... After 3 visits ... 1 mormon, 1 Witness and one Christian Evangelic they would return to the sanctuary and advise everyone the Devil lived at my address and nobody bother to knock at my door again!

I have a note on my door strongly discouraging salesman, and bible thumpers. This is my home, and I find it incredibly rude for either of those pests to come knocking on my door. If they read the sign and proceed to knock, then they get cursed out in full force. I do not feel like I have to feel guilty for my behavior as they are the ones being rude and presumptuous.

If I'm in a contrary mood, I answer the door naked. They never return. Problem solved. I have enough interruptions without useless conversations.

I tell them I am not interested, thank them for coming by & door.

I give them about 10 seconds to make sure it is not the Post....then I just shut the door in their face and give them no reaction in a bad or good way. I have been known to say that I just feel sorry for them and once or twice I have asked them if they believe in the Bible and if they say yes I challenge them in a bible quoting contest from memory and I have yet to lose.
Peace to everyone here.

I have always really enjoyed sharing my experience strength and hope with the Mormons. I live in Idaho so there are plenty of opportunities to do that. I never let them in I will always meet with them outside my front door.
Since my beliefs are very personal to me it is easy for me to share them with others. I don't try to change Minds. And I never ever ever get into philosophical discussions about their religion and the differences we have. I just share my experience strength and hope. Not having an agenda and having pure motives really help as well. As far as the Jehovah's Witnesses that show up they don't really have a desire to talk to me they just want to share the good news. They're going to heaven and I'm going to hell...

emjai Level 3 Dec 10, 2017

I invite them in and ask questions until they stop having answers.

I usually chase them out of my neighborhood. I don't want those assholes anywhere near my kids.

I'd say, Hello, I am a long-time bible student and I have studied seriously and discovered that Jesus isn't real.

Answer the door with a smile and tell them I am an athesist and to have a great gosh darn day... Also I tell them that if they are looking for jesus I hear you can find him in prison.

Kindly, but I tell them to not waste either of our time... true I usually have to repeat more firmly ????

I tell them, I do not believe, they ask, "what do you believe in, I reply, "privacy', as I slam the door

I tell them what I believe is none of their business.

Generally I'm pretty kind. I politely decline their offer. Once in a great while, if I'm bored, I let them in and either a) act like I'm totally in to what they are offering "I'm a convert! Hallelujah!" or b) totally debunk their ridiculous arguments (I'm a seminary grad and know the bible pretty well). But I have to be in the mood, and usually they are not impressed. I'm sure they get it all and are only doing it, not because they believe it themselves, but because it's "what you do" if you are a _____ (fill in the blank).

I have a video doorbell, was able to communicate from work and the most recent was a pair from the witness watchtower nonsense. I enthusiastically told them through the doorbell that atheists live here and wished them luck in their recruiting.

Bloody butchers apron......lol

Depending on how I'm feeling and how early it is.

1. Look through the peep whole and don't answer.
  2. Answer with sword behind back.
  3. Always wanted to answer naked just to see their reaction.
  4. If I answer and they go off about going to hell I tell them go sell hate banter someplace else.
Tess Level 3 Dec 14, 2017

Tell them I am an atheist and tell them about websites they should follow such as the Atheist experience, Science Today, etc.

I tell door-knockers that my husband doesn't allow me to talk to people at the door. I am not married and I am the master of my domain, but this always gets the religious solicitors to leave quietly, since they approve of women's subjugation to men.

We have a glass door, so I can see if its an adult or a child/adult. If its the latter, I open the door and politely but firmly say no. I don't care to hear your spiel. If its an adult, then I'm more.. brusk.. open the door and if I see a bible/religious item, its a very firm NO and the door closes. if its salesperson (cable tv), you've got .005 seconds before the NO comes out. I look at uniform/logos, etc.

I would have to agree, answering the door nude usually does the trick.

This past summer I was out in my yard planting flowers and I saw 2 man walking down the street, going door to door. My brother was sitting on the porch talking to me when I said " Oh god I don't want to deal with them right now." My brother just sat there. I'm sweaty covered in dirt and they walked up to me and handed me a flier, asking me if I would be attending church that weekend. I clearly looked annoyed but took the flier and throw it on the porch. I politely said I would be busy that day but thanks anyway and continued digging in the dirt. They kept on talking about the service and now wonderful it was and that I should bring the kids. I was totally ignoring them when my brother piped in. He said " Two women came by the other day asking us to come too." One of the men said " Were they from (whatever) Baptist church? My brother said, " yes, same flier". The men looked at each other and said, " I guess Sue and Betty already did this street". They walked away with out going to any more houses, got in a car and drove off. I laughed so hard I had to sit down. My brother not only saved me but the rest of our neighbors, lol.

They regularly invade my neighborhood with flyers. It’s quite annoying. Recently some religious coworkers at my job filed a claim that I was “threatening to ‘bomb’ the tattoo policymaker for making me cover my tattoos at work” ... As silly as that sounds, they literally got the police banging on my door as loud as door-knockers themselves. Eventually this will all get sorted out as I have nothing to hide from law enforcement, let alone investigators of alleged terrorists, and the police were very friendly and said I was cool. I figure it takes one to know one in this case, as far as people whose “sincerely held religious belief” causes them to hate and assume all of us LGBTQ people are “taking to the terroristic,” and I definitely have to say, a number of mornings I open my front door in my apartment complex and despite the “no soliciting” bylaws in effect in my complex, it feels like a “bomb” went off with all the flyers littered everywhere! Some of the “fallout” always makes it to my doorknob! XD I think it’s hillarious actually. I honestly tend to just ridicule those aggressive superstitious losers with Gay Satanic imagery. 😉

Answer naked.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1448
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.