Agnostic.com

783 56

How do you deal with Door-knockers?

Whether they be Witnesses, Mormons, or another proselytizing religion, how do you deal with people coming to your door to spread their religion?
I just had my first experience since getting a place of my own and had a decent conversation through the crack in my door. After I told him I was an atheist he tried to use apologetics; when I told him I was familiar with his arguments and didn't find them convincing further explaining that I take a scientific route of belief and chose not to believe until there is evidence for a god. He understood and thanked me for explaining and listening to him and he left with a handshake. I was surprised at myself for how civil I was to him but how does everyone else usually respond?

Nicsnort 6 Oct 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

783 comments (401 - 425)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I had JW's knock on my door one Sunday morning about a month ago. I told them I was an atheist and the dude immediately started bringing up evolution. (JW's are creationists) I told him that atheism and evolution are two separate topics. We had a cordial conversation. I told them about my daughter, Autumn, who was born with a rare and severe congenital heart defect. I told them that had she been born into their religion, she'd already be dead. She's had 10 open heart surgeries and has been put on a bypass machine every time. They eventually left and one of the guys asked if he could pray for my daughter. I told him sure! I don't care if you waste your time.

Wrong door. Good luck.

JayJ Level 1 Dec 24, 2017

I lived in a bible belt Christian neighborhood. My ex was Jewish and I converted to Judaism when i married. When religious came thru..I rold them we were Jewish...which was the truth..lol.

At least in my neighborhood, they respond pretty well to "no thanks, good luck".

Baby oil and a dirty magazine.

I tell them I'm a Jew...lol. which I am but just a cultural one...

I talk to them for as long as they want. I consider it a civic duty. I reckon they are working on the clock, rather than piece work. So if they spend half an hour with me, they have less time to bother my neighbors. Also, it helps them too because they save on shoe leather.

I had JWs knocking at my door the day I got my A level results. I'd got in to the university I wanted to go to and the's miserable bastards were asking me if I was happy with the way the world was. I had a bottle of chilled vodka in my hand and also pointed out that I'd given blood the day before

Sorry...your question made me think of this funny meme

If the believer does not leave after I explain my position, I will tell him I am a practicing nudist and start to take off my clothes. So far I have not had to do this; other friends say this is a successful tactic.

I Just smile and say Thank you, but I'm not into this sort of thing, Must go now, have a good day. If they continue, I say please respect my words, I have to go now, and I shut the door. After that I say, I'll be calling the police if you don't leave.

I ask them in for sex. It stops the whole visit dead in its tracks. You generally never see the same religious hawkers again.

I wish many were open to conversation or debate, but largely it just devolves into slogans. To make matters worse I almost always have something I’d rather be doing. If I were just sitting there bored and I got that knock then I might try and discuss. Sometimes I’ll forward them to my YouTube video. I should probably have a link on business card ready to go. Lol

If I am bored, I invite them for a theological discussion.

Had one JW pair leave on the verge of tears stating "I hope that you are not right or we have been wasting our lives"

Generally I just hold up a palm with the full force of my personality behind the arm and they flee.

The thing I try to remember is that, in attempting to recruit me, their organisation is actually reinforcing their faith rather than really trying to gain recruits.

I don't take them on - I just sit and listen and let them do their spiel my granny taught me a long time ago that whilst they are staying with you they are leaving someone else alone. Mind , I have never had a heavy preacher at my door they seem mostly weak people who have been caught in someones net to carry the word .

I like to have them in and talk some sense into them when I have the time.
I can't say I have had much success in that, but I do know now that they have a "No Fly" list, If you have them in and work on them instead of the other way, No one will come to see you again for ages.

Kindness, always kindness. I have had similar encounters with LDS and others. they are always surprised at how happy I am. I usually give them a tour of my home show them how wonderful my life is without god and then explain the burdens that religion puts on one's ability to think for themselves. I turned my garage into an art studio complete with a kick wheel (real, not electric), sink, drawing table (handmade by me), canvas holder (built by me), new sliding glass doors for extra light, and I repaved the floor for level. I show them this and my backyard, complete with backyard chickens, garden and two sheds that I built. I then explain to them that before I stopped believing in god I was always waiting, waiting for someone else to do the work. I was always told to "Cast your cares on God for he cares for you" and other nonsense. This type of "hopes and prayers" thinking prevented me from taking matters into my own hands. Christianity, especially evangelical Pentecostal non-denominational Christians are extremely oppressive. I explain that if I were to let god back into my life that I would again lose my ability to think for myself and I don't want to experience that type of hell ever again. anyway, kill em with kindness.

Generally I respond pretty civil. They open up with their marketing pitch, I decline and say not only do I, and forever will, not believe in religion but I'm actively against it. Generally they try to get me with "religious alternative facts" as to why there's evidence, but it's never peer reviewed so I tell them that. Anecdote is not evidence, never will be. That usually ends up the exchange with them asking if they can leave reading material with me, and sometimes I'll accept if they say they'll never come back.

I always chat with them if I have time. For the most part these are good people who were indoctrinated or deluded just like I was before leaving religion. And just like me they are usually ignorant as to how much harm their religion can cause, so I try to bring that up in our conversation. I also explain how and why I left Christianity. The Mormon interruption is annoying but they're not the enemy. They’re just people convinced of something silly.

I have only ever had young LDS missionaries knock on my door. As a former member (I left the church as a teenager) they are usually trying to track me down to invite me back to church. A few firm but polite, "no thank you's" usually does the trick. These kids are so very young! I feel quite sorry for them.

I tell people at my door, or on train platforms or wherever they are preaching, that I am Jewish. This seems to instantly drive them away and, as an added benefit, greatly amuses my 20 year old daughter.

The few times it has happened I will politely listen, I will take and actually peruse literature. if they ask I will even bow my head in prayer with them. Doesn't hurt me any to be a decent human being.

That really depends on them. I've run the gambit from "do you blokes want a cuppa?" to "get off my property." This is dependant apon their response to "No thanks we're atheists."

Like this:

I love it, when I have the time. They are usually kid and good people. When I ask them pointed questions, refer them to their own bible they get agitated because their faith is so very fragile. I always invite them back, but they never come back. I feel sorry for them.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1448
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.