Agnostic.com

783 56

How do you deal with Door-knockers?

Whether they be Witnesses, Mormons, or another proselytizing religion, how do you deal with people coming to your door to spread their religion?
I just had my first experience since getting a place of my own and had a decent conversation through the crack in my door. After I told him I was an atheist he tried to use apologetics; when I told him I was familiar with his arguments and didn't find them convincing further explaining that I take a scientific route of belief and chose not to believe until there is evidence for a god. He understood and thanked me for explaining and listening to him and he left with a handshake. I was surprised at myself for how civil I was to him but how does everyone else usually respond?

Nicsnort 6 Oct 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

783 comments (176 - 200)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

It basically depends, door to door sales are usually told to piss off, God squad are usually given the hosepipe treatment or told to piss off just before I photograph them and warn everyone on Facebook that the loonies are doing the rounds again, had the God squad here once with kids, and that IS child abuse.

Well it depends on my mood that day and the way they approach me.

i have said...so you believe the bible is the word of god, which the answer is usually yes , i then add so slavery , killing of gays is ok?.....they might try to justify that slavery was ok for those times....and that the new testament is the word they follow....i answered so jesus came to right the wrong of the old testament... and god was wrong then......the answer i got was you need to read this and that verse....by now they are rather uncomfortable , and just want to leave...

I never invite them in, but will step outside to converse. They’ve always been polite to my polite “no”

I feel absolutely no need to "be polite". I look them in the eye and tell them in no uncertain terms that I am not interested. If they persist, I slowly shut the door...

i usually tell them unashamedly to fuck off

tommo Level 1 Oct 25, 2017

I like a good debate, so I'd invite them in if I have time. I don't think they have an evidence that would convince me, but I might be able to sow some doubt in them.

Usually i am civil. I begin with, "save your breath. You are not plowing a fertile field here, pilgrim." if that does not immediately work i show them printed brochures about non-christian religions that have their own avatars... Like meher baba or the buddah. I keep these by the front door just in case. If all else fails, i tell them i'm a jew. That usually gets them off the porch in a hurry. I rarely get angry, but on the odd occasion i have had to resort to idle threats. Once years ago i answered the door thinking it was my girlfriend. I had just gotten out of the shower and put on my robe. Somehow it came open when i i opened the door. There stood three 'witnesses'... Two elderly and one very pretty young girl. We were all surprised to say the least. More later.

I actually don't open my door to anyone I'm not expecting. If one corners me on the way in or out, I don't accept their flyers etc. I just tell them that I think religion is silly and walk past them.

I tell them we're Jewish. Works every time

Caron Level 2 Oct 26, 2017

actually they tend to avoid my family. last i heard they were calling us heathens, lol.

I invite them in and ask them questions and I think I may have influenced some of the young that come with older ones, I hope. But I am not insulting, I just show them that one can be congenial, happy in in good spirit without believing.

Haven't had any ''door knockers'' in a while, but I do have a co-worker who is a Witness. Talking about religions with this person is a bit tricky to put it nicely. The person is 100% convinced he/she is right, while I have been always a person who questions things and believes that there are always uncertainties.

Always difficult to communicate with a ''complete'' or a ''perfect'' person.

E: Sorry, I kinda dodged the original question with my whataboutism...

I try to deal with them with respect and try to find atleast some common ground. Doesn't always work which results in me leaving the situation.

MaxS Level 3 Oct 27, 2017

YEARS ago, I had a Jehovah Witness come knocking on my door with his wife and child. I politely told him I was not opening the door because there was a knock, but I was literally heading out to work. He asked if he could come back at another time so I told him my schedule and let him know what times worked for me.

I HAD to invite him back. The wooden stair case leading up to my apartment looked very scary, and felt quite unstable.So if he was willing to traverse it, I was more than willing to listen to him.

The gentleman came back. We would talk over a cup of coffee. (i think he had tea??) The more he tried to convince me that what he believed was true and real, the more questions I would ask, and the more he started to dis-believe it himself. (you could see it in his eye's, and the expression on his face.)

This went on for a few weeks with a visit once a week, until one week he didn't show... then another.

Mind you, this isn't how I always deal with 'Door Knockers'... I have also...

-Answered the door with 666 written on my forehead, holding a whole chicken, and a large kitchen knife. While I look them up and down as though I had found a more suitable sacrifice.

-Answered the door with a giant smile saying "No thank-you, I have my own religion. But you are more than willing to come in and join us. There is plenty of Kool-aid for everybody."

-Answered the door and before they could say anything I ask "Is that religious shit." And just close the door in their face.

But most times I am polite. Just tell them I am not interested. I offer them a bottle of water or can of pop if it is a hot day. If they start to get pushy, then I pull out that I can't believe in a Gaud that would allow such suffering in the world. And if he is real, he is a piece of shit.

That is how I deal with Door Knockers.

For the most part I shoe them away.
What gets me is the high street bible thumpers. Shouting at everyone that they are wrong and bad people. Now even though I am an atheist, I do know quite a lot about the bible and religion (a bit like lord of the rings). So I pull them up on doctrine. One woman was going at like nobodies business and I quoted "let your women be silent in the temple". Not I think that of women but she should if she really believes ALL the stuff in that book.
FYI the one to kill any fundamentalist christian argument is "was the last supper before or after the Passover"? Luke and Mathew say the opposite of each other.

I don't have a problem because I was a door-knocker(JW) at one time. I wasn't very good at it because I really didn't believe in pushing your believe on to someone. But if I come in contact they leave me alone because they label me an apostate.

I don't encounter evangelical Mormons much, but the Witnesses come around my neighborhood on about a quarterly basis, as near as I can figure it out. I know the opening of the canned speech about as well as they do, so when the spokesperson comes to "...and we'd like to share," I break in with a smile and "And I wouldn't be interested." Beyond that, I just am politely firm for the next couple of lines, they politely thank me for my time, and we part company. I've found that works better than antagonism or explanation.

I recently had a man who insisted that the world is going to hell and the only way to fix it was through his religion's version of xtianity- Well, I explained to him about the 7 Mountains Mandate, the religious right, dominionism, etc, and gave him much to think about as dominionists have already beat him to the "we'll fix the world by dominating it" idea.

Years ago I used to tell them not to come back or I would cast a spell on them. Quit doing that as it seemed really mean.

''I'm sorry, I'm agnostic, have a good day''

Haven't had to deal with it for years but my favorite memory is of Jehovah's Witnesses knocking on the door quite early. I had had a raucous night the eve before. Pulled myself out of bed early and answered the door naked. That was quite effective.

Come flat and tell them I am an Atheist, when you can prove to me without a shadow of a doubt, your gods dick is bigger than any of the other god's dicks.. then I might consider it.. until then.. don't spread your crazy on my property or you might be sorry next time. Have yet to see anyone show up to my door since.

Some people are rude to them, but I see no reason to mistreat anyone. If I have time, I'll talk with anyone who comes around. I came to my current stance on religion after a lot of study of theology, review of philosophical concepts, a modest understanding of science, and a great deal of introspection. It's unlikely anything they say will sway me. But if they're out in the cold or the rain and want to come in, have a cup of coffee or tea, and talk for a spell, I'm more than willing to oblige. And — who knows? — they might leave having been converted themselves. Ha!

I let the dog handle that. They knock, she hits the door in full protection mode, they ask if she bites and I say she might. They usually leave or just slip info leaflet in a crack of the door. It doesn't make since to talk to them, they are always right and you are wrong.

m3129 Level 2 Nov 2, 2017

If I have the time I enjoy the door knockers because most of the time I know more about their religion than they do. When it comes to Mormons I ask them if they are wearing their "holy" underwear. They get nervous, especially when I ask them to share the vows they took to become an elder. I tell them that I think it is kind of dishonest to ask me to believe in something that they can't tell me completely about. I ask them if they were going to buy a care and the salesperson told them that he/she was not allowed to discuss certain things about the car until they bought it. They answer that they would not buy the car. I say to them that the same issue is true of their religion. How can I truly understand an "buy" it if they can't disclose key parts of theirs.
I use a different approach with Jehovah's Witnesses. I ask them if they are total vegetarians or vegans. They say no they are not. When I ask them about not taking blood into their bodies via transfusion, why do they stop there? If they are not to take blood then they must be vegetarians to be consistent. If they, persist, which they usually don't, I have them open their Bibles to the one place in the Bible in Corinthians where it says that the Christians were not supposed to drink blood. I show them that the context had nothing to do with blood, but with partaking of food offered to idols. Then, I move to more direct reasons why there is no Jehovah, showing them that their argument from their proposition is not provable and the burden of proof is on them. For some strange reason they tend to avoid my door after that.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1448
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.