Agnostic.com

783 56

How do you deal with Door-knockers?

Whether they be Witnesses, Mormons, or another proselytizing religion, how do you deal with people coming to your door to spread their religion?
I just had my first experience since getting a place of my own and had a decent conversation through the crack in my door. After I told him I was an atheist he tried to use apologetics; when I told him I was familiar with his arguments and didn't find them convincing further explaining that I take a scientific route of belief and chose not to believe until there is evidence for a god. He understood and thanked me for explaining and listening to him and he left with a handshake. I was surprised at myself for how civil I was to him but how does everyone else usually respond?

Nicsnort 6 Oct 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

783 comments (226 - 250)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Depending on my day - I usually inform them of my lack of interest, take their literature, wish them a nice day. However, if it is disruptive to my day - I can be quite...curt....

Answer the door wearing nothing but a rainbow wig. I then invite them in, since "the festivities are just about to begin." I honestly don't know what I'd do if anyone accepted and followed me into the house.

I just sit on the other side of the door and knock back in repeat. (I really just made that up but it sounds like a fun thing)

I tell them I once knew an elder from the jehovah's witnesses. i'm all good with that.

I have always wanted to stockpile some atheist literature to give them.

I believe there's an invention that specifically targets this particular situation- it's called "a shotgun" XD

Seriously though, I just politely tell them that I've already got my own beliefs. They can have theirs, and I can have mine. And I don't accept any literature from them unless I think I can get a good laugh out of it XD

I find that a cordial no thank you tends to do the trick. If they persist, simply explained that it is hard to believe in anything without evidence. Remember if they're knocking on your door that typically means that they are true believers. Therefore you have just as much of a chance to educate them as they do you. You have made your decision based off of empirical data and lack of evidence and they have chosen the contrary.

Stand on the other side of the door and knock back.

With out clothing on.

If you answer the door with very little if any clothing on they will learn to leave you alone.

Post a sign that says, "If this house is a-rocking; don't come a-knocking".

I just tell them ...i don't believe in their murderer sadistic and evil God or any other

Haven’t had to deal with it for a while, but I usually smile and say no thanks, then tell them to have a nice day.

I say, I am an atheist please do not come to my home again.

Generally, there is an assumption that people can walk up and knock on your door without an invitation. Putting up a clear sign that reads "No Soliciting or Proselytizing" will notify door to door salesmen and people espousing religious doctrine they're not welcome.

I'm not buying what you are selling today thanks

Attempt to convert them. 🙂

"Please come in, we were about to conduct our blood ritual and could really use you."

I love the Mormons best ..I always ask them if they have ever watched South Park episode about the Mormons.

Marko Level 1 Nov 13, 2017

I would ask them the same question I ask everyone else. Are you here for the orgy?

A Jehovah's Witness came to my door today and gave me an Advent Calendar.

Every day I opened a door on the calendar it told me to F**K OFF!!

I don't have any problem with door-knockers. I just answer the door in the nude and somehow they don't want to talk very long.

luckily i live in a closed apartment complex. I wouldn't cuss at them or anything I would simply not answer the door. but they don't come by anyhow because it's a closed property and they have a whole neighborhood to walk to.

If it is over a religion, I establish the fact that their god is all powerful and answers prayer and is always ready to demonstrate his power. I then tell them to curse a tree that is near my driveway and the roots are damaging the same. I point to it and I yell do it now, right now. They do not walk to their car, they run and drive as fast as they can down my 300' driveway to the street. Damn I wish I had a video of that caper. I just stood there in amazement, as they disappeared in the distance.

"I'm not interested" and close the door. Same with any salesperson. P.s. do listen long enough to know they don't have troubles of some kind.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1448
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.