Agnostic.com

783 56

How do you deal with Door-knockers?

Whether they be Witnesses, Mormons, or another proselytizing religion, how do you deal with people coming to your door to spread their religion?
I just had my first experience since getting a place of my own and had a decent conversation through the crack in my door. After I told him I was an atheist he tried to use apologetics; when I told him I was familiar with his arguments and didn't find them convincing further explaining that I take a scientific route of belief and chose not to believe until there is evidence for a god. He understood and thanked me for explaining and listening to him and he left with a handshake. I was surprised at myself for how civil I was to him but how does everyone else usually respond?

Nicsnort 6 Oct 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

783 comments (251 - 275)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I come to the door wearing nothing but an AR-15 and a Speedo. jk I don't always bring my speedo.

I have a sign on the door and for the most part it is repected. Those who do NOT respect it receive my standard sermon on why I am an atheist.

I have a pentagram hanging on the wall behind the door, so when I open the door they can see it. I tell them I'm a pagan and while I like the teachings of their God. I prefer my Gods and my idea of the after-life. That usually freaks them out enough to go away. lol

I take there paper. Tell them im sorry, im aready committed, have a nice day. Ask them if they want their papers back. Say thank you. Shut the door with a smile.
There trying to do good for people. I don't want to hurt them.

Just be polite and say "thanks, not interested" and close the door. There's never an excuse for rudeness.

I have a sign on my door.

I would like a visit. I would talk to them and question their faith with patience.

Gray Level 3 Nov 17, 2017

I've not met a door knocker in a very long time however my response is first and foremost to be polite. "Thank you, but no thank you. Have a nice day." That being said I live in a town densely populated with Mormons. I find that when they ask if I am a member, and I say no, the conversation doesn't press. They tend to stone up a bit and the interaction ends very swiftly, but it's never been confrontational.

Knock them on the head.

Got myself a sign -
No Soliciters!
Religious soliciters will be turned into toads.

And a large plastic toad sits next to it.
Need to figure out how to attach it to my front door and have the toad sitting on the top step.

By scheming to come up with all sorts of off-the-wall pranks and taping them and posting them online.

I have met them w kindness as well as shutting the door in their faces; for me, its about their attitude towards me. I try to reflect whatever they send my way, politely lol bc I'm southern. Sounds like u had a good experience

Also, just for kicks, I once drew a chalk outline on my porch and put up caution tape; there were watchtower magazines lying nearby; ur choice ????

I simply tell them that I was a born again Christian Evangelist for decades and now I'm an agnostic atheist. They usually go away after that. lol

I just ell them I am an atheist, and nothing can change my mind. Close the door and go on about my life.

I once had a couple of jehovas witnesses turn up at the door during a wedding party, I invited them in and tried to ply them with alcohol, food and music. I talked to them for about three hours before I let them escape. Neither of us changed our opinions on anything, why can't these people leave us alone, I would never turn up on someone's doorstep and call into question their beliefs. I got better things to do.

I say "Come on in! Let me grab my strap-on real quick. this is going to be FUN!"

They're out the door before I can finish my sentence.

It really depends on whether I'm feeling patient and generous or not. If not, I just tell them I'm an Atheist and a Pagan and I have not the slightest interest in what they are promoting.

If so, I banter for awhile. I ask them what they think they're getting out of following their religious path, and why that is so great, and what about if they're wrong. All the while radiating happiness and contentment.

They quit coming around after I got a bulldog.

If I'm in the mood i'll have the discussion with them, if not just tell them I'm not interested and have them move on.

I'm all set-let my German Shepherd scare them off-they are so annoying

Politely tell them that I am not at all interested, and that they technically are trespassers subject to criminal prosecution.

I prefer Drop towel because of course they interrupted my shower "yes, tell me about your god"

Mabes Level 2 Nov 20, 2017

I try to be polite, but if they continue to try to push their way in, I let them know "I don't believe in fairytales."

I always want to try some street epistemology on them but my social anxiety gets in the way

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1448
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.