Agnostic.com

783 56

How do you deal with Door-knockers?

Whether they be Witnesses, Mormons, or another proselytizing religion, how do you deal with people coming to your door to spread their religion?
I just had my first experience since getting a place of my own and had a decent conversation through the crack in my door. After I told him I was an atheist he tried to use apologetics; when I told him I was familiar with his arguments and didn't find them convincing further explaining that I take a scientific route of belief and chose not to believe until there is evidence for a god. He understood and thanked me for explaining and listening to him and he left with a handshake. I was surprised at myself for how civil I was to him but how does everyone else usually respond?

Nicsnort 6 Oct 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

783 comments (726 - 750)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I generally either politely tell them nope or chat them up either because one; they are pleasant to talk too and listen or two; to see their faces as I politely break down my personal point of view and challenge them not by saying they are wrong so much as we can't both be and neither of us are budging so why not just agree to disagree or write my off as doomed cause really I am not buying what you are selling.

Quarm Level 6 Nov 6, 2018

Pretty much says it all

Where I live I don't get these visits. If I did I would be happy to engage them in respectful conversation.

I find it entertaining when the religious knock on my door. I let them in and enjoy the debate.

First mistake is opening the door. I stop moving around until they go away. Then I wait 10 minutes just to be sure.

I don't

I find it interesting I was seeing a payient the other day for therapy and she disclosed she had fallen in love. When i enquired more detail. She responded that two young mormons from the USA had visited her every day. I sat listerned and then got her to explore her fantasies cause at the end of the day tjis young woman is a professed sex addict. I am happy to say after lots of time and exploration. She now understands this guy would never go to her fantas3place as hes on a mission. Love how you send these young lost mormons over by the boat load to door knock. Maybe we should take of some of Trumps anyics lol. Glad these people don't get to stay. I find American religion quite soul destroying. Food for thought. ☺

I just say no thanks and close the door.

"Nah, I'm good" (shuts door)

KenWG Level 3 Nov 26, 2018

It's good for you dealing fairly well with those door knockers. I usually open the door, smile back say 'sorry I don't have time' and shut the door. Am i being rude? Lol

Ask yourself, 1) could I have fun with this. 2) can I learn something here? 3) can this sharpen my atheist epistemology tool box.

I tell them I'm an atheist , they just leave.

I asked one of them one time if it really says in their bible that only 144,000 are going to heaven. He said yes. I said then what the hell do ya need me for and shut the door.

I have three large wolf-dogs and wolf head tattooed on the neck so every time they come in past I just pointed at the neck told them that my gods are thousands of years older than theirs and if they like to chance meeting their descendant while pointing at the dogs. They usually almost running away. Use to be polite and just telling them I'm not interested but Jehovah witnesses kept sending new preachers couple times a week as they have base somewhere nearby and they had become quite aggressive and intrusive upon rejection including just opening door and walking in without even knocking (guys worst mistake in life, had to be taken to hospital with bite wounds on booth ankles). They tried it few more times, but now keeping safe distance from all the houses in neighbourhood. Neighbours love me and my dogs now

I took a religious study class in college and I think its extremely important to understand other people's views. When they come to the door I usually have a list of questions. Questions contain ideas like what prompted you to study this religion, what idols do using your religion, what holidays do you or don't you celebrate, who in your family celebrates religion, how do you look at other religions. They love it when I ask, do you think your religion prevents you from living a full and true life. It's a way of understanding each other. We are all human after all.

I don't open the door to people I don't know. I might talk to them briefly via my smart doorbell but walking around neighborhoods handing out advertisements, religious flyers, ect is a favorite tactic of would-be burgulars who are trying to get a look at what's inside your home.

Wow, some really helpful tips on dealing with door knockers.

Studying Richard Dawkins' Memetics, sheds a powerful light on what's happening. The Christianity memeplex has taken over the host and replaced its reason for living. The host lives only to spread the memplex, in which case they become memeboids. Check out Dan Dennnet's explanation:

Invite them in. I've never been a believer, so I'm fascinated by the religious mind. There aren't too many of those types in my area, so it's only happened a few times, but it has gone fairly so far from my perspective. I tell them upfront that they have virtually no chance of changing my mind but I'm happy to listen to their pitch.

I love debating with them ! They don't have any solid reason for their position except that they 'believe' ! When I asked one for the evidence that would make me believe, he said I had to get it through prayer.
When I pointed out that, in that case, I'd have to believe first in order to get the evidence to make me do so, he had no answer !

I just lift them up and let gravity do the rest!! ?

I used to live in an apartment complex and would get door knockers often I would sometimes ignore them if it was too early in the morning or I would answer take their printed materials and thank them,

I never attempted to debate any of them, They believe what they believe and most can't be swayed by logic I think door knocking is good for them, It gives them something to do that they feel is productive and keeps them out of trouble.

Nakedly

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1448
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.