Agnostic.com

783 56

How do you deal with Door-knockers?

Whether they be Witnesses, Mormons, or another proselytizing religion, how do you deal with people coming to your door to spread their religion?
I just had my first experience since getting a place of my own and had a decent conversation through the crack in my door. After I told him I was an atheist he tried to use apologetics; when I told him I was familiar with his arguments and didn't find them convincing further explaining that I take a scientific route of belief and chose not to believe until there is evidence for a god. He understood and thanked me for explaining and listening to him and he left with a handshake. I was surprised at myself for how civil I was to him but how does everyone else usually respond?

Nicsnort 6 Oct 14

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

783 comments (351 - 375)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

I tell them I'm a non-religious Jew who doesn't think Western scriptures have any privileged vantage on Ultimate Truth, so good luck with that. Except I say it more nicely.

I have also regularly met Christians who think the only difference between us Jews and them is that we're still waiting for the Messiah. I tell them Messianism is only one thread of Jewish thought and hope, and that the tumultuous historical nexus of the Roman Empire at its height was a main driver of wishes for a righteous, political savior. Overlooking that overall context led to a misunderstanding and misrepresentation of Jesus's nature and role. Desperate persecution of Jews after their decimation in Judea and in their Diaspora, caused the pre-existing Messianic thread to blossom into hopes for a Jewish Savior of the Jews--largely to save them from their here-and-now oppressions, not to show the right way to an afterlife.

I simply say that I am an Atheist and look them directly in the eyes for as long as it takes. Then I say, "but, thank you anyway".

IGNORE THEM! If they leave something to read, i WILL look at it, though, i am open-minded.

I don't open the door. When I ask who is it, and they respond with some religious affiliation, I just say I'm not accepting visitors today but thank you anyway.

Here in the bigot belt it is JWs and Mormons. i rather enjoy engaging with them if they agree to my conditions, which are generous considering they are invading my space with offensive proselytizing -- to wit, I'll go first for 5-10 minutes and then you can ask me questions if you wish, but your question time comes out of your matching time to preach to me. Having considered all they can offer decades ago, it is kind of sad to see their feeble attempts to convert me. i once told a pair of wet behind the ears mormons that heaven sounded interminably boring, but hell, on the other hand, while not the best climate, at least would have some cool folks to hang with. The JWs -- we could at least agree their was no hell. Not in the biblical sense anyway -- but hell exists. I walked through its gates when i visited Auschwitz.

I installed an electric gate down by the road - but my friend just puts out his hand as if waiting
for money and it seem to work as long as he stays silent - these people are trained Nazi for money -whoops I mean god ,

Edwin Level 2 Dec 17, 2017

If they are out walking in the heat in those "modest" and too formal for the weather clothes, I offer them a drink of water and a moment's respite from the heat. I'm very firm about having zero interest in what they are selling, but if they respect that I'm okay with a little polite chit chat while they cool off for a minute. I may or may not volunteer that I'm an atheist. Their religion is none of my business and visa versa is where I normally leave it. I'm seriously not interested in a debate. If they are driving door to door I feel less concern for their comfort and do not invite them in. But I make it clear there's no point in trying to preach to me. I say something like, no, I'm good. Only if they become aggressive do I drop the bombshell that I don't believe in God's and that they are truly wasting their time.

jmott Level 3 Dec 17, 2017

I smile very graciously and say no thanks, I'm Atheist. I then
watch them practically jump off the porch!

Ethel Level 2 Dec 17, 2017

Welcome them in, give them a cup of tea and sit them on my sofa. And talk to them.

For some strange reason they are always trying to leave.

Offer drink if they're thirsty, then say I'm atheist and not in anyway interested in their myths and legends. Smile and with them a nice day. Peace.

I live in an industrial park; hence no doorknockers. When I lived in a residential area and got mormons I told them to convert my loud alcoholic neighbors.

I often get Mormons, and the ones around here try to get on your good side through their willingness to help. They usually offer to mow my lawn or rake my leaves, and I let them. I have a big yard. It takes quite a long time. By the time they finish, they usually have to call it a day and go home, and they apologize for not being able to stay and talk. No apology necessary guys!

I'm very polite. I tell them I'm Jewish (I'm not). For most, that's all that's necessary. Unless they are completely out of touch, they know that Jews do not welcome proselytizing. For the other, stupider people, I tell them that I am content with my beliefs and do not welcome attempts to convert me. And if that doesn't work, I call my 90 lb German Shepherd dog to the screen door through which we are speaking. He stares at them; they skedaddle.

But I haven't had anyone in a very long time comin' round.

I usually try and convert them to my religion....I haven't got one but the one I make up on the spot has as much validity as theirs has.????

"oh good.. you're here for the movie we're making. Get your clothes off, which of you is taking it up the a$$?"

Iit really depends on my moid. There are times i joke atound telling them i worship satan but thanks anyway or i say " ah you're just in time for the sacrificing, come on in". Most of the time i invite them in though, listen to them for a moment and then question them on the belief system and usually by the end of it i have them either converted to my way of thinking or at the least questioning their own belief

No Trespassing signs...

i grin like a monkey but won't say anything, few min.later they start murmuring,
then they flee

My dog can reach the gate in 2.4 seconds. Can you?

Usually Jehovah's; I tell them I know all about their faith and I'm not interested, thank you.

I used to just tell them "Thanks, but we're Catholic" as I closed the door. Now I have a big "No Soliciting" sign that I will just point to if one should darken my doorway again. I'd rather not get into an argument with someone who knows where I live! Some Christians here in the bible belt can be fairly hostile towards atheists.

dkp93 Level 8 Dec 19, 2017

I live on an island and am spared Door-knockers. However, some time ago I did find a pamphlet from the local 7th Day Adventists by the door. I took the pamphlet along with a recent FFRF newsletter to their hall and left them with a message of thanks for sharing their info. and I am returning the favor. No more pamphlets.

My late partner would actually go after business people for leaving copies of their religious beliefs in the waiting areas and she often would take this material and hide it. Sometimes I got a little nervous being with her but learned a trick or two.

Coldly

lecoq Level 4 Dec 19, 2017

Nice polite people: no thanks I am a Buddist.
Pushy obnoxious people: get off my property and never come back!
The worst was on a cold, blustery winter day, temps in the low 30's with major wind chill. Huge guy in floor-length heavy overcoat, boots, scarf, mittens came to my door carrying a tiny little girl, maybe 4, wearing nothing but a pink party dress & dress shoes with ankle socks. I told him if he didn't get that child into proper outdoor clothing in the next 3 minutes I was calling the police. Apparently Gawd wants children to get frostbite so my soul will be saved?

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:1448
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.