Agnostic.com

730 32

Should religion be taught in schools?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

730 comments (301 - 325)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Only as a way to say this is a cultural thing and not present it as a thing we should do.

I agree. I've often thought that if I were in a position where it was expected that I teach creationism, I would begin with a thorough examination of every creation myth I could find of before even acknowledged the Judaeo/Christian/Muslim view.

It depends, but in public schools it should only be introduction to religions or studies of different religions.

Children should be taught ALL religions for informative reasons. To acquire knowledge and respect for others...not as a guilt-ridden attempt at conversion.

religion should be for the wealthy only. taught in private schools. I am also a joker okay?

Yes - as many of them as possible:
"A person knowing enough about religions shall not be ensnared by any of them"
-I forgot the author-

Not in public school. If you want to indoctrinate your kid you should have to pay for it.

I don't believe any religion should be taught. I don't think astrology or alchemy should be taught either. It's all nonsense.

Many of the best arguments AGAINST religion come from learning about it.

A rich curriculum in Eastern and Western Religious Studies, would most certainly benefit our intermediate though early college learners. Youngsters need to be educated in religious philosophy and history prior to becoming enlightened in a specific area. Classical studies that include mythology and history of war in the Middle East should aslo be included.

Think back to what made your education exciting, unique, and engaging? What helped you become the analytical thinker that you are today? As a nation we need to go back to classical education in order to achieve the high levels of science and math that we once had.

No pontification here, just saying ... lol!

No. It's a waste of time and resources. Replace RE with RWE, Real World Education. First aid training, hazzard sign awareness, what to do in the event of a fire or other emergency, healthy living, social skills, debating skills. You know, things that they could actually do with knowing.

Only as it would be in college: study many religions and discuss their cultures--humanities!

As long as they teach ALL religions, including the absence of it. Religion has killed more people than any other cause since the beginning of recorded time. A great wise man once said "The God Argument... the last refuge of a man with no answers and no arguments, it came from God"

Fryan Level 5 Jan 2, 2018

I'm not against teaching of the very basics of what religion is. But every single follower of every religion interprets religious writings differently, so choosing what to teach becomes touchy. Designing the course would be a tough job.

Either secularism or pluralism, pick one!

If religion is taught, it should be more of a broad overview of major ones, with some discussion of non-religious philosophy included. This is what Humanists UK has been pushing for.

I am not sure by "taught" in schools but I believe that creationism and biblical inerrancy should be actively destroyed in our public schools. The flaws of creationism should be discussed and the propaganda of "creation-scientists" should be in display for all children to see. In world history classes, the flaws of the Bible should be discussed and the ridiculous explanations of apologists should be on display for all students to see! Even before students take courses in biology, chemistry, and physics, they should be required to take a freshman course in critical thinking, scientific skepticism, and critical history.

Only if it is all religions! NOT christianity alone!

From a historical, mythological, etc., view and if one is taught about multiple religions then yes.

No! Having been a teacher in a conservative area of the country in the past, I've seen religion creep in to so many aspects of the public school system and, despite vocal and non-vocal protests on my part, it continues. I was asked, at one point in my career, why I told my students that I didn't believe in god. I told the district HR director, "Because they asked me". Enough said.

Only if it is taught right along with all religions and mythology.

Yes. All of them, with no favoritism.

yes, teach all ABOUT various religions around the world, but don't teach it as absolute truth, just how it affects society and our way of life. Do not indoctrinate kids.

All religions yes, in mythology class.

But also, "Don't pray in my schools and I won't think in your churches".

Good one. LOL

Definitely NOT!

I think comparative religion and religion in historical context are viable subject matter. The difficulty comes when the teacher is unable to teach in an objective, unbiased manner. Being uneducated about religion and how it impacts the world we live in is detrimental. Our language, law and history are all heavily laced with religious nuance and if you don’t know about religion, it makes it harder to navigate all that from a place of strength in knowledge. Learning about things you disagree with isn’t the problem. Separation of church and state means the government can’t force religious belief or tout one religion as the right one. Teaching comparative religion isn’t a violation of religious freedom, it is an important topic for critical thinking and world knowledge.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.