Agnostic.com

730 32

Should religion be taught in schools?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

730 comments (651 - 675)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Only as a comparative philosophy and history issue. As religion, definitely not.

History and philosophy of religions should definitely be taught.

Religion should not be taught. When an individual grows to a mature person, let them choose to learn if they want.

Assuming you are solely referring to public schools: Yes, but only in the form of a "World Religions" class in which all religions are treated as being equally "probable" (i.e., no emphasis on or favoritism towards one particular religion, more or less in the style of a history class).

Yes, as history and in order to decide whether it's a legimate path to follow.

SamL Level 7 Oct 8, 2017

Sure, right along with Greek myths, Norse myths, Native American myths etc

Totally concur!

I don't think religion should be a mandatory requirement in school and if/when it's taken, it should be an elective focusing on all religions (the theology) aspect, and should be taught by someone well qualified to lead the high school discussions. Your typical teachers aren't going to be able to teach this class because of its highly-politicized nature and their biased views. May be they could treat it like a specialized class but at the first sight the Constitution is being broken, then I would pull the class.

it wasn't really taught where i went to school, don't really see a reason why its needed

The good news is that religion is not allowed to be taught in U.S. public schools as a form of proselytization. Religion can be taught in public schools if it's just for academic purposes. I'm fine with this situation.

Nope. Unless it is in college and the student can choose to learn about it.

No, lets keep religion out of schools and government.

i don't thnks so

Tesla Level 3 Oct 6, 2017

Noooooooooooooooooooooooo! Leave that to religious organizations. Schools have enough problems just teaching basic English, science and math.

Sandy Level 1 Oct 6, 2017

It's that simple. Thanks for your very simple but meaningful answer.

There are so many religions out there it would take all day just to get through all the rig ma roll. Also we should be free to believe or not believe.

No no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no no
did i mention, no!?!

Religion is the antithesis of education.

LOL

as part of the history of humanity but in a secular environment and only in the context of opting out by parents

As part of history, yes indeed

absolutely not. how can you say one is more right than the other and pick it to teach

I think that religious studies should be optional, just the pledge of allegiance or school prayers.

that's right bro

I think there should be a mandatory World Religions class that treats all religions historically, meaning the facts behind why each one exists, when it started, by whom, from what other religion(s) did it plagiarize, etc. These facts have been very important to me in learning how and why humans have created these myths over time and this information also helps me in debating theists and deists. Not religion taught as fact, the facts about religions. All of them.

Very nice suggestion. We need to live as one

I agree. It is fascinating to note that the roots of monotheism, specifically christianity, go back 5000 years or more and shares eerie similarities with ancient Assyrian and other religions.

Not in public schools. As a historical and social construct, talking and/or teaching about what religion means is not taboo, but it should include the damage religion has done to individuals, communities, society and the world in general.

Teach religion the same way they teach world history

Oh heck no...
This reminds me of a story i head from one if the southern state. They handing out religions stuff to children in school.
The satan group did the same this but i believe it was a coloring book. Mostly thinking exercise in it. The christians got upset and wanted the coloring book out and change there dicusisson about handling out religion all together.
They don't care about religion freedom they just want to share there own belief...
I concern this one a win....

no

A non-partisan view of all religions should be taught in schools. Otherwise it's hard to understand history and literature.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.