Agnostic.com

730 32

Should religion be taught in schools?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

730 comments (201 - 225)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

NEVER!!

Yes. I teach my daughter about God and Catholicism so someday she can see how shoddy the whole system is. I also taught her to memorize Buddhist teachings to round out her education. I also need to get her to a Baptist church, so show her how people who are not afraid to express their love for god outloud!!

NO!

Yes....but ONLY as history and to help the kids to understand its impact on mankind.

Rather than that if the same amount of energy is put on them to become more responsible citizens and how to cook, do banking, how to wash clothes, how to live on your own without being a bother on someone else, and how to stay happy without materialistic things, that life is more than a game from birth to death, things and life in the sense of whole would be way more creative and productive.

Religion should only be taught in school as it pertains to relevant history, social or cultural relevance when studying history, a society, or a culture.

I think the subject of comparative religions, their histories and how they impact our lives should be taught. Children will be subjected to all of this one way or the other and I think they should understand the deeper issues but not to be indoctrinated by religion, which is completely different.

JonR Level 2 Mar 18, 2018

Never. Period. Since religion is the single largest reason the world is so messed up, why would we start children off with that bs.

No religion, belief is a personal choice and not a subject for educational interferance.

Only in history (but all religion)

No. I don't trust the teacher who specially a religious because surely they will taught them about unreality not fact and also students will brainwash. Although some context on the bible or the religion was positive thoughts that they'll inspire but the shitty statement connected god. So instead of religion taught in school, gmrc must prefer because it is more on moral values.

Nejny Level 3 Mar 16, 2018

Only if they teach the core of all. Leaving out extremism. I made my kids study and choose, neither are religious. I think religion is more f an indoctrination process

Teach one religion, no.Teach them "about" the religions of the world, yes.

I was raised Catholic. Now I believe differently. Schools are schools for a reason to learn. I believe Government and Religion are two different concepts here. If you go to a christian school then yes. You go to a public school then no. Religion should not be added to a public school for the fact that their isn't any particular Religion in a public school. Our history has added God to our money and this is where people have gone wrong. Thinking they are God with their money. And this they think is a higher power in all things in life. Religion should be seperate from all things. And I hate the fact that people who are preachers have used this as a crutch to allow the government to be lenient on them as a pastor or a preacher.

As part of a Religions (Plural), Skeptical Inquiry, Philosophy class to High Schooler then absolutely. Just Keep it out of the Science Classroom!!!

Children can be taught about religion, I.e. study all different religions in an objective way. Children should not be taught or encouraged to be religious in public school. Separation of church and state!

Alana Level 4 Mar 14, 2018

I agree theology is an aspect of humanity and excluding that would be silly, but the study of religion should never be confused with the endorsement of any religion.

If religion is ever taught in any of our public schools the ones behind putting it there will find that they lose again. It will go to court and be found that you cannot teach ONE religion. They will all have to be taught instead.

No don't teach them at all unless you also teach them to REJECT religion in order to keep balance.

So with that in mind religion should not be taught to children until they are old enough to decide or even NOT TO decide for themselves.

No.. There needs to more philosophy, science, and real life events training. Get rid of useless and time consuming information. For instance why does it take 12 years of English classes to graduate, when you speak and read English all day every day?

I grew up English in Montreal. We had to school boards. The Roman Catholic and The Protestant (which included every religion other than Roman Catholic).
It's over now. It's English and French. All immigrant children must go to French school. They learn Frrench first then they get English from the media and religion by their communities.

No, relgion should not be taught in public schools.

No.

No!!!!!

Absloutly not.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.