Agnostic.com

730 32

Should religion be taught in schools?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

730 comments (426 - 450)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Well, the fastest way to become an atheist is to read the bible and all of it's contradictions. However I can't imagine how they would go about giving every religion it's equal time.

And who decides which religions are worthy of teaching?? Religion, prayer and acknowledgement of any religion must not be taught in public schools. The bias of each teacher cannot be overcome. When others opine anything about 'god', I always ask "which god?"

Absolutely not in public schools.

Only at university level.

No. When religion is incorporated in to lesson plans, it becomes indoctrination .

NO, definitely NOT. Schools should focus on the Golden Rule, and that is all that society needs to grow and survive.

As an academic subject. For instance, European and Middle Eastern history is hard to understand without a discussion of religion. But definitely not as a religious subject.

NO!

Depends on what is being taught. Religious ideas being taught as truth, definitely does not belong in schools or government. But religions being taught as part of history is essential. Really, the history of humanity can not be taught without it. So much of our societies and cultures have been shaped by religions or people seeking religious freedom. And religions are responsible for so many wars, and so much death and destruction, I think it is important for children to learn about it.

Also, when I was in college, I was required to take a 'Religion' class. I took Intro to the New Testament because it fit into my schedule. I was afraid that it was going to be all preachy like going to church, but it was taught like a literature class, analyzing the text like any other literary work, and I actually learned a few things. And after actually reading the new testament I came out of the class more of an atheist than when it started!

Never. But teaching the evils of religion should.

YES

Certainly. In a way that looks at religion like any other subject, such as politics, history or social studies, however. Religion is mostly history and social studies from my perspective. It effects politics too. Maybe have them all in one class. Haha

Religion it is not politics. It is not history, it is bullshit

solid point

No. Children should be taught to look inwards rather than outwards for solutions to lifes problems. They should be taught to meditate in a non religious way

yes! I think all religions should be explained not promoting any particular one!

why bother?

Not for K - 12 children. Perhaps at a post-secondary 'private' school as an 'elective' to adult students.

Not a single religion, but "religions" yes. School children should be taught something about the world's predominant religions, and about non-religion. That's the kind of thing they will never learn at home.

Agreed. As many as can be found should taught about, analyzed, and understood.

Yes . All world religions . Courses are available at college level but should be at middle school in my opinion . Online only and elective . Course should be designed to represent history of ea religion and its applications in the world . What ea religion stands for and what ea religion forbits .
NO BETTER WAY TO OPEN KIDS EYES THAN SHOWING THEM HOW BAD RELIGIONS HAVE BEEN FOR HUMANITY AND THE PLANET AS WE KNOW IT .
Try to teach a 14 yr old that studied gravity , math , DNA , genetic engineering , etc that god created us to his image or that the world is few thousand yrs old , or what the prophet wants u to not do , or that karma will get u one day ?

Love this reply

Sure... along with fiction writing.

Yeah, as a part of history, but not as philosophy (unless it's a private school).

Not if it's a private school funded by taxpayers!!

No. It predisposes children to someone else's point of view. If the children express an interest I would certainly allow them to go to church or whatever and encourage them to make up their own minds as they get old enough to make such choices.

Yes, religion influences the decisions of ~90% of the people in this world, so it should be taught.

BD66 Level 8 Jan 26, 2019

Not until 6th grade. That's when kids may be able to grasp it. Just a guess though. It would have to be an un-biased class too. Religion is prevalent in this world in all places and children are curious ( I have secular belief though my daughter ask questions about it) so it is talked about. Hopefully I can give decent real answers to her questions, but she is influenced by others at school too. For now this is my best answer.

It should be taught as a unit that you can chose

Absolutely not, unless it is specifically to show that it is purely myth and detrimental to society.

The US Constitution guarantees separation of church and state. and NO religion should be taught in public schools. NONENot! comparative religion course, nothing.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.