Agnostic.com

730 32

Should religion be taught in schools?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

730 comments (351 - 375)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Teaching religion is different that teaching about religion.The one is neither wise nor currently permissible, the other an essential tool for understanding human society.

Unless we are destined to repeat the past, I would definitely say no. If parents truly believe and want to subject their children to this nonsense include it in History class and tell the truth! The religious wars, crusades, the terrorism that is attached to religion currently. A class on how not to live with religion suits me.

Depends on what kind of school of course, but public schools should not dispense religious training. Surely universities should have courses in religious history, philosophy, etc., and I can't think of any reason why religious schools shouldn't teach religion.

skado Level 9 Nov 26, 2017

Absolutely not separation of church and state also there must be as many different types of opinions as there are teachers children should be giving an overview of the various religions and lack thereof at home and let them choose themselves

Tovie Level 2 Nov 25, 2017

I think schools should teach about all the hate and injustice religion has caused, and about how many deaths can be directly linked to religion.

It is a significant part of our history, so I think religion as it pertains to history should be taught. The problem, as I see it, is similar to how we currently teach history. There are tons of omissions and it is skewed towards the white European's point of view. Providing an unbiased account should be priority, however, it seems unlikely.

children should not be exposed to religion as they are easily influenced

As a comparative subject; yes. If so, all major faiths should be included.

Why not? As long as it's taught in a class on all beliefs; religions, spirit worship, non-believers, animism, etc. And I would be willing to teach it too. Just because I don't believe in something doesn't mean I wouldn't teach it. I don't believe in slavery or the subjugation of women but if you teach American History you're going to have to at least address these subjects.

The concept of religion should be taught, because it's something we constantly encounter in the real world. The four or five biggest religions (in numbers of subscribers) should be taught just for their basic premise and "universe of imaginary beings." There should be no emphasis on a particular religion as being "correct" or more "moral". Just provide the basic tenets of each belief.

I agree it shld be taught but not in schools as a formal subject. Religious subjects are to he like story books. Or more like folk tales or nothin more that Harry Potter. Giving religion a strong leg in our educational system is what got us all into the mess of religious brainwash and terrorism to start with.

Only in the context of teaching that there are many other beliefs and that we should respect that

that'd be alot of subject or you mean "their religion of truth?"

Religion should be taught objectively, not "they are all wrong except for mine. "

In an intellectual and comparative sense, yes; as indoctrination, no. Most often, the people who want to "teach religion" intend to indoctrinate impressionable children into THEIR religion, which is absolutely morally wrong.

NO, emphatically, Schools are educating children, etc, in facts and realities, NOT in Fiction, Superstition, baseless, unfounded Beliefs and false hopes and promises.

What religion would they chose to not offend the others (rhetorical) ? They need to have a common sense class. Make wilderness survival an elective.

when somebody made me read the Bible, I was pretty much done when the snakes started talking

Daniel Dennet has a great YouTube video on religion and schools. Absolutely religion should be taught in schools. However, you cannot teach one religion or Philosophy you must expose the children to all varied belief systems. It you don’t do that, then you are not teaching, you are indoctrinating. I believe if you allow the child to choose what is best for them, then that child will be better at accepting the differences in others when they are older.

Just the history.

As a part of history, only.

EMBRACE SECULARISM! Church and state should NEVER meet. I want my child to learn, not believe in fairy tales and bullshit! Absolutely NOT!

ParkS Level 4 Nov 19, 2017

Absolutely not, it’s unconstitutional.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO. Not in any school. Ever. Private or Public.

No. Separation of church and state. To quote Wikipedia: "The separation of church and state is a philosophic and jurisprudential concept for defining political distance in the relationship between religious organizations and the nation state." And furthermore, I feel children that are subjected to a religious education are unfairly indoctrinated and lose some ability to form rational thoughts and form their own personal philosophy of life and moral standards.

I used to be strongly against the idea, but I'm open to some forms of it. Only from an educational perspective, not proselytizing. I see comparative religion aimed at say the top 5 or so as a reasonable compromise, with the ability to let students bring up the comparison of another religion not in that list if they want to.

well, yes...only to learn how religion has manipulated mankind sin ever.

I’d be ok with comparative religion being taught in schools.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.