Agnostic.com

730 32

Should religion be taught in schools?

Admin 9 June 19

Enjoy being online again!

Welcome to the community of good people who base their values on evidence and appreciate civil discourse - the social network you will enjoy.

Create your free account

730 comments (501 - 525)

Feel free to reply to any comment by clicking the "Reply" button.

Only as it relates to historical events. Many different cultures have formed around religions and for that reason should not be ignored. It is hard to explain why some things occurred with out references to the religious factors and their social context. However, stick to the facts, good or bad and don't favor any one religion over another.

Yes as literature. It is fascinating how it developed and how society ran sometimes in parallel and sometimes well away from it's lessons. How Islam dropped into the tank in the 11th century as before it was a light in the world of science.

Yes. And why is that? Was it the rise of religion?

Not in public schools.

I believe with "civilization" as it is in certain places then religion has run its course and in other places its needed to teach morals/values. Others need to believe in a higher power so they don't question their existance

Ac08 Level 4 Jan 23, 2018

Yes, because knowledge is power and ignorance threatens everyone.

I personally feel it would be a good idea to teach a few tidbits of various religions focusing on actual beliefs vs speculations. Too many misconceptions, worn out ideals and perceptions of various religions running rampant. In college, I studied a bit about Islam, Judaism, Buddhism, and a few others. Paganism was not even touched, so I was quite pleased to be able to do a Power Point presentation of my personal path. I was met with great respect and numerous questions from other students and my professor about what Satanism means to me and what my perceptions are.To have any chance of reducing ignorance and opening communication, someone has to open the door in an honest and mutually respectful way.

Yes, but not one single religion, knowledge is power. History is dominated by religion, English history is steeped in power struggles between Catholic and Protestant faiths and it is very nasty and violent. The church of England is based on the family values 0f Henry the eighth.

I do not believe religion should be taught in schools, I can see if you are going to a church related school, but not public schools in general

Try the UU Fellowship (church) for like minded people !

Only if it pertains to religion in a non historical fictional, simply educational manner, and as many religions as possible are discussed. Such as the way world religion is taught in college, essentially entertainment and knowledge being the purpose rather than brainwash and literal in interpretation. #separationofchurchandstate

As per the school teaches Good Moral and Right Conduct there is religious matter. But for me its not a big deal wether they thaught religions or not but have to focus more in curricular subjects ????????????

At school, we learned about religion in grade 10, as part of the philosophy course. The teacher brought us to every available religious temple in town and arranged meetings with the respective priests. Some of them were difficult to communicate with (I assume they felt quite uncomfortable in front of 30-40 mostly atheist/non-religious students, that were eager to ask "difficult" questions), yet the catholic priest really impressed me - he was very positive, opened for discussion and well prepared for it too.
Recently they started bringing religion (as pretty much indoctrination, as kids are allowed to study just one religion, by parental choice) in the lower grades of our schools... Did not manage to oppose that strong enough. I am strictly against, and provided I am in power some day - will see that removed.

Never. If people want their kids to know about a religion, they should let them discover it themselves. Teaching religion in schools is antithetical to the purpose of getting an education.

Absolutely not !! This is a serious use of brainwashing the young to acclimatise them to believing there is a real god out there when any normally intelligent person has no option but to disbelieve it.
Get the young at an early age and you can teach them anything. This is insidious and deplorable.

Religion of any kind should be kept out of schools of learning. The only thing they should teach about religion is the facts. The fact that they are all products and the sum total of all the fish, war, love, and drinking stories and wives’ tales ever told by ancient sheep herders and farmers.
My daddy told me never to believe anything I hear and only half of what I see. Them rules were for everything but religion. When it comes to religion, you're to believe everything you're told with nothing to back it up. Sorry, but I looked for religion for years and found that they are all flawed. They all have good teachings on how to live but they have all over the years became so exclusive that it is like a club and you are either out or in. All these religions were born thousands of years ago by superstitious people that thought that lightning and thunder were god scolding mankind. All religions started out by people that didn't know as much as a first grader today. They were children in this world with nothing else to do but rely on the stories of those that lived before them. The stories were added to over the years and developed into religions. People should be educated enough to day to put down all these ancient religions that were born from superstition. Teach all of mankind that we are all brothers on this world. We each come from those that came before us. Their knowledge has helped us all to be able to deal with the modern world of today. Our children will take over where we leave off and their children will take from us to make future generations better off. We are each a part of the same big machine that keeps mankind moving forward. Mankind itself is what connects us all. We are each a part of it and we each have the opportunity to better it and help it to keep on keeping on. We are all the same, with that same purpose. This is what I believe.

I AM YOU AND YOU ARE ME
Know yourself and you will know me
For I am you and you are me
When we were born, we were all the same
Without a fear or the need to be tamed
We stepped out in the world and learned
To live our lives and not get burned
Different problems in our lives
Showed different ways to end our strives
Our fathers tried to live our lives
Forgetting us and all our drives
But I will be me and always be free
To live and love and learn you see
For I am you and you are me

ORH

NEVER in public schools. Churches and church schools can if they want - I guess. I have seen what religious based curricula look look like and they can be a solid education in bone ignorance. I'm undecided how much religiously based miss information can be tolerated in a free & rational society. If religion is taught in public schools it should be comparative religion and there should be a critical examination of religious epistemology vs scientific epistemology. Not a gut course for sure.

NEVER in public schools. Churches and church schools can if they want - I guess. I have seen what religious based curricula look look like and they can be a solid education in bone ignorance. I'm undecided how much religiously based miss information can be tolerated in a free & rational society.

No thats why we have religeous schools choice is the american way

sean Level 3 Jan 9, 2018

Only as a way to say this is a cultural thing and not present it as a thing we should do.

I agree. I've often thought that if I were in a position where it was expected that I teach creationism, I would begin with a thorough examination of every creation myth I could find of before even acknowledged the Judaeo/Christian/Muslim view.

It depends, but in public schools it should only be introduction to religions or studies of different religions.

religion should be for the wealthy only. taught in private schools. I am also a joker okay?

Yes - as many of them as possible:
"A person knowing enough about religions shall not be ensnared by any of them"
-I forgot the author-

Not in public school. If you want to indoctrinate your kid you should have to pay for it.

I don't believe any religion should be taught. I don't think astrology or alchemy should be taught either. It's all nonsense.

Write Comment
You can include a link to this post in your posts and comments by including the text q:26
Agnostic does not evaluate or guarantee the accuracy of any content. Read full disclaimer.